Wi-Fi is connected, but the Internet is not working (No connection)
Let’s analyze problematic situation when your phone connects to Wi-Fi, but there is no Internet. It looks like this: next to the name of wireless network writes “Connected“, but when you try to open any web-site in your browser you get the error Web-page is unavailable or 404 Not found. Chrome writes DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET in such cases.
The same refers to other software. all kinds of programs that use the Internet connection for their work, or at least check for updates at startup, will also give an error of connection to their web-server.
In this article we will tell you in detail how to solve the problem with not working Internet on your computer, phone or tablet. Read carefully, follow all steps and you will surely find the reason why you have no connection to Internet when Wi-Fi connection is working.
Laptop doesn’t connect to the Internet via WI-FI. Why Laptop Doesn’t Connect to WI-FI? :: SYL.ru
Why your notebook PC won’t connect to Wi-Fi. fix it fast
The problem when the laptop does not connect to Wi-Fi is widespread enough and in most cases quickly solved. When there is no wireless connection, in the lower right corner, the user observes a crossed out network icon. If it is not provoked by a faulty network adapter, which is rare, the reasons for failure are not so many. They come in both laptop and router.
A very simple option to determine the malfunction, is to connect to the router, with another gadget, if they find Wi-Fi, then the problem is in the computer.
No connection to the network due to malfunction on the laptop
The first and easiest thing you can do is to simultaneously use the fn-key in the bottom left corner and connect to the Wi-Fi on your computer. The latter can be on the side, but more often on one of the buttons of group F, it is easy to find by the antenna icon.
If after pressing the key combination several times, the device does not want to connect, then look for a problem in something else. Sometimes the access error can be due to the installed antivirus program, which blocks all seemingly suspicious connections. In this case you need to temporarily disable antivirus and check the signal, if necessary perform a reboot.
Interesting video on Wi-Fi failure on a laptop:
Checking the drivers
The example will be shown on a Windows 7 gadget, because it is considered more common, and in most cases, wireless network problems are observed on it. To check the application, the user must right-click on “My Computer”, then click on “properties”, then “Device Manager”, then “network adapters”. In the picture you can see the program, we have to choose Wireless Network Adapter, some of them may have a different name.
If the Wireless Network Adapter is not in the list provided, then you need to go to the website of the model company and download the necessary program. If we see that the device is turned on as it should be, but the Wi-Fi connection problems have not gone away, then it is not about the driver, try the following method.
Turn on Wi-Fi through the Network Control Center
To configure Wi-Fi using the control center, you need to click on the communication icon, in the lower right corner. In the window that pops up, “network and sharing center” will appear at the bottom.
Now, in the upper left corner, click on “change adapter settings”.
If there is no connection, it must be corrected, then on the network icon appears a yellow star, indicating that the available connections and normal functioning of the adapter.
If the wireless adapter is on, but you still can not fix the problem, the laptop does not see Wi-Fi when the adapter is on, the icon is still marked with a cross, look for another reason.
Less often it happens that the device can not connect to the router due to disabled wlan settings. To get into it, you need to press the WinR key combination, after which the window will pop up.
In the box, enter the text, as seen in the screenshot.msc and confirm the action. Now the user can access local services, select and run the wlan autosetup service.
Often at the time of the connection the error “Windows can not connect to (network name)” appears.
In some cases the “troubleshooting” helps to solve the situation automatically or describe an existing conflict, if this does not happen, it is worth looking for the problem further.
Network disappears when waking up from sleep mode
With the fact that the laptop is not connected to the Wi-Fi network face the owners not only Seven, but also other operating systems. To fix the problem it is recommended to deactivate “Allow this device to be turned off to save power” option. To do this, go to “start”, then to “my computer“, then to “properties” and “Device Manager.
In the tab that will pop up, click on “network adapters”, then click on “wireless network adapter”, select “properties”.
The final step is to select “power management”, uncheck “allow to turn off this device to save power”, confirm and reboot the gadget.
No connection to the network after the update
As an existing problem it is possible to note the following. Sometimes users change passwords or types of encryption, and then do not know what to do and how to restore the connection to the hidden network, because before everything happened automatically. To solve this problem you should delete the network you have and reconnect to it.
Removal is quite simple, you need to enter the “Network and Sharing Center” by clicking on the network icon on the right, in the bottom corner, then select the tab “Wireless Management”.
After selecting the network, click the mouse and click “delete”. After the deletion procedure, reconnect it and enter a different password, if it has been changed.
The device does not accept the Wi-Fi password
Such a seemingly simple problem, it turns out, is also relevant. When a laptop user finds his network, it requires a key, but it does not fit. First you need to double-check that the encryption is correct, if you have forgotten it, do the following:
- Go to “network control center” by clicking on the network icon, here we see the networks to which this laptop used to connect;
- select the desired connection and click with the mouse, click “properties”;
- moving to the “security” column;
- make a confirmation next to “display typed characters”;
- Look for the password on the tab “network security key”.
Additional video material on how to disconnect your laptop from the Wi-Fi-enabled network:
If there is no encryption display, you can try to find it in the settings of your router or try to perform the procedure from another PC. With Windows xp and newer versions, the user is better to use the program WirelessKeyView. After opening the application find your network and see the password.
Wi-Fi is turned on, but the laptop does not see the network or does not connect to it
Almost in 80% of cases (in my personal experience) the reason for this behavior is the lack of necessary drivers for Wi-Fi, which is a consequence of reinstalling Windows on the laptop.
After you have reinstalled Windows, there are five possible events and your actions:
- Everything is automatically detected and you are working at your laptop.
- You install some drivers that are not detected from the official site.
- You use a driver package to automatically install drivers.
- Something from the devices is not detected, well, that’s okay.
- You get all the drivers from the manufacturer’s official web site without exception.
In the first four cases, the Wi-Fi adapter may not work as it should, and even if the device manager shows that it works fine. In the fourth case, it is possible that there is no wireless device at all in the system (i.e.е. Windows doesn’t know about it, although it is physically there). In all these cases, the solution is to install drivers from the manufacturer’s website (the link. addresses where you can download official drivers for popular brands)
How do I know which Wi-Fi driver is installed on my computer?
In any version of Windows, press Win R on your keyboard and type devmgmt command.msc, and then click on “OK”. This will open the Windows Device Manager.
Open “Network Adapters” and find your Wi-Fi adapter in the list. It usually has the words Wireless or Wi-Fi in its name. Right-click on it and select “Properties.
Open the “Driver” tab in the window that will open. Pay attention to the items “Driver supplier” and “Development date”. If the vendor is Microsoft, and the date is several years off from today. go to the official website of the laptop. How to download drivers from there is described in the link that I gave above.
Update 2016: In Windows 10, it is possible to install the drivers you need, and the system “updates” them to the less capable ones on its own. In this case, you can roll back the Wi-Fi driver in the Device Manager (or by downloading it from the laptop manufacturer’s official site), and then disable the automatic update of this driver.
After installing the drivers, you may need to turn on the wireless network, as described in the first part of the instruction.
Additional reasons why the laptop can not connect to Wi-Fi or not see the network
In addition to the above options, other possible causes of problems with Wi-Fi network. Very often the problem is that you have changed the wireless network settings, and less often it is that you can not use a certain channel or wireless standard. Some of these problems have already been described on the site before.
In addition to the situations described in the above articles, there may be others worth trying in the settings of the router:
- Change channel from “auto” to specific, try different channels.
- Change the type and frequency of the wireless network.
- Make sure no Cyrillic characters are used for the password and SSID name.
- Change the network region from the USA.
Wi-Fi won’t turn on after updating Windows 10
Two more options, which, judging by feedback, work for some users whose laptop Wi-Fi stopped turning on after updating Windows 10, are the first:
- At the command prompt as an administrator, type the command netcfg.s n
- If the answer you get at the command prompt includes DNI_DNE, enter the following two commands and restart your computer after they are executed
The second option. if you had some third-party VPN software installed before the upgrade, uninstall it, restart your computer, check the Wi-Fi and if it works, you can install the software again.
Perhaps all I can offer on the subject. If I remember something else, I will add the instruction.
Local network connection is active, but no Internet (no access to the Internet)
In a situation where the cable connection works, but no Internet, there may be several common causes for the problem:
- If the connection is through a router: There is something wrong with the cable in the WAN (Internet) port on the router. Check all cable connections.
- Also, for the router situation: the Internet connection settings on the router are messed up, check the. Router settings). Even if the settings are correct, check the connection status in the router’s web interface (if not active, then for some reason the connection cannot be established, probably the 3rd point is to blame).
- Temporary absence of Internet access from your ISP. this does not happen often, but it does happen. In this case, the Internet will not be available on other devices through the same network (check if possible), usually the problem is corrected within a day.
- Problems with network connection settings (DNS access, proxy settings, TCP/IP settings). Ways to solve this problem are described in the previously mentioned article Websites are not opening and in a separate article Internet Won’t Work in Windows 10.
For the 4th point of those actions, which you can try first:
- Go to the list of connections, right-click on the Internet connection. “Properties”. In the list of protocols, select “IP version 4”, click on “Properties. Set the “Use the following addresses of DNS servers” and specify 22.214.171.124 и 126.96.36.199 Accordingly (and if, there were already set addresses, then, on the contrary, try “Get DNS server address automatically”). After that, it is advisable to clear the DNS cache.
- Go to the Control Panel (at the top right, under “View” put “Icons”). “Browser properties. On the “Connections” tab click on “Network Settings”. Remove all the marks, if at least one is installed. Or, if none is installed, try enabling “Automatic Parameter Detection”.
If these two methods don’t work, try the more sophisticated methods of solving the problem from the separate instructions above in #4.
Note: If you have just installed a router and connected it to your computer and there is no Internet on the computer, then it is very likely that you have not set up your router properly yet. Once this is done, the Internet should come up.
The Wi-Fi adapter driver did not work correctly
This is not a very common case, but it does occur. The last time I encountered something like that was on my friend’s Asus laptop. Here’s what happened: The laptop officially supported only Windows 8.1, but in the store the man was sold and installed a licensed Windows 10. When the manager went to the manufacturer’s official website and realized that the drivers for the “ten”, he manually installed on a laptop Wi-Fi driver from Windows 8. Here is the problem we are talking about today. the laptop detects all Wi-Fi networks around, but connects only once and the connection constantly fails.
In this situation the only correct solution is to install a compatible driver. Go to the official web-site of the laptop manufacturer and download the latest version. If you can not find the driver for your operating system, you must install the version of Windows that is recommended for your PC. In my case I had to install Windows 8.I had to install the latest version of Windows 8 or later, and only then did Wi-Fi work properly and the Internet connection stopped dropping.
On this topic I advise you to read our articles:
Hope these tips helped you to solve the problem and your laptop or PC now successfully connects to Wi-Fi and you have access to the Internet. If you still have questions, feel free to ask in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев section.
Why can’t your laptop see wi-fi. Typical reasons for wi-fi connection problems
Today portable notebook-like devices are closely connected to the life of any modern person, being an indispensable instrument for the processing of information of any kind. One of the main advantages of this type of computer, in addition to its mobility, is the ability to connect to the Internet, or other local network devices (printers, other computers, file storage, etc.п.) no matter where the user is. at home, in the office, in a hotel, airport, café or even in a park. Such possibilities become available due to the built-in laptop adapter for access to the wireless local network via Wi-Fi technology.
Problems with the Wi-Fi connection can cause serious inconvenience to the user when using a laptop, greatly reducing its consumer qualities. The most common reasons include:
- Errors in the network services of the Windows operating system;
- Wi-Fi adapter of your computer is not working properly as a result of its malfunction or incorrect operation of the device driver;
- changed (for example, by the network administrator) or incorrectly entered credentials to access a particular Wi-Fi network;
- Malfunction or incorrect settings of the Wi-Fi network router;
- Significant distance from the Wi-Fi router or/and location near source of strong electromagnetic interference.
Let’s see in details the most common situations, as well as the ways to resolve them.
Ways to solve the problem with no Wi-Fi in Windows 10
If after updating to Windows 10 your laptop does not work Wi-Fi, it is worth doing the following:
- Reboot the adapter, check the correctness of connections to it.
- Install the latest version of drivers. There are up-to-date Windows drivers for each model of network device If you cannot find them on the manufacturer’s site, the developers recommend that you install universal drivers. To do this, you should right-click on the “Start” button and select “Device Manager”.
If in Windows 10 Wi-Fi does not work or the network is detected but without access, perhaps the function is simply not enabled. To enable the network, you should perform the following actions:
If you can not remove the registry key through the Win10 command line, perform this action manually.
Also, if your laptop sees the network, but is not allowed to connect to it, you need to disable the firewall and antivirus. If your PC is new and powerful enough, you should update the antivirus version.
Wi-Fi in Win 10 can not work in the case, if the network settings were reset. To fix this problem, do the following:
Ways to solve the problem with no Wi-Fi in Windows 10
If after updating to Windows 10 your laptop does not work Wi-Fi, you should perform the following actions:
- Reboot the adapter, check that the connections to it are correct.
- Install the current version of drivers. For each model of network device there are up-to-date drivers for Windows If you can not find them on the manufacturer’s website, the developers recommend installing universal drivers. To do this, it is worth right-clicking on the “Start” button and select “Device Manager”.
If in Windows 10 Wi-Fi does not work or the network is detected but without access, perhaps the function is simply not enabled. To turn on the network is worth doing the following steps:
If the registry key could not be removed through the Win10 command line, you can do it manually.
Also, if the laptop sees the network, but is not allowed to connect to it, you must disable the firewall and antivirus. If your PC is new and powerful enough, it is worth to update the version of antivirus.
Wi-Fi in Win10 may not work even if the network settings were reset. To fix this problem, proceed as follows: