Repair and modernization of computers in the Kharkov region
WI-FI wireless network setup between two computers starts with installation of drivers for WI-FI devices: the laptop usually already has Wi-Fi, and the computer needs to have an expansion card in the form of a PCI device or USB.
If you buy D-LINK WI-FI devices, you must take into account the peculiarities of the installation of these devices, first install the drivers, and only then install the device, otherwise the drivers will be crooked, and the wireless network can not be configured.
So, after properly installing the drivers let’s set up the Wi-Fi network between the two computers, or between a computer and a laptop. For better understanding we will call the second computer a laptop.
It is necessary to understand, that at setting up the wireless network between the computer and the laptop does not depend on what kind of operating system is used: Windows XP, Windows 7, 10, Vista. The configuration is the same everywhere, just need to understand the principle of setting up the WI-FI network.
- On each computer you create a wireless network with the same SSID. To do this, go to Control Panel. Network Connections. and on the wireless connection with the right mouse button click on the properties.
- In addition to the IP address and subnet mask we will write the gateway on the laptop. IP address of the first computer to access the Internet from the laptop. All you have to do on the first computer is enter the IP address and subnet mask. The subnet mask must be the same for both computers. Preferred DNS address and alternate depends on your ISP, set only on the laptop (you can put a universal one from google: 184.108.40.206).
- Then in the next window choose wireless networks. Check the box to use Windows to configure the network. Using the add button, enter the name of our network, e.g. wi-fi, which must be the same on each computer.
- During the first setup we recommend not to turn on the authentication and data encryption. Make sure you tick the “This is a direct PC-to-computer connection” box. This setting should be done on the first and second computer.
- Setting up the Internet access for a laptop computer. is done only on the main computer. Suppose that your computer is configured to access the Internet via a network card. Then in the properties of the network card select “Advanced” and enable sharing with “wireless network connection”.
- Reboot both computers and try to connect via WI-FI. If everything is set up correctly, following our instructions. everything should work. To check the wireless connection you can ping. Try to ping to 192.168.0.2 from your PC to your laptop. For this press the “Start” button on your PC and in the “Run” menu write “cmd”, then press “OK”. Enter ping 192.168.0.2 Press Enter, if you receive a response, the first computer will connect to your notebook. Similarly, enter ping from the laptop: ping 192.168.0.1
Typical mistakes when creating a wireless Wi-Fi network between a computer and a laptop: the network name on the computers is different, you have the Internet made with a network card in the 192 address range.168.0.1. 192.168.0.254, then the IP of the Wi-Fi device must be chosen from a different range, e.g. 192.168.1.1. 192.168.1.254.
If the computer “swears” that it is changing its IP address when you enable Internet sharing, try pulling the network cable out of the network card, configuring everything, and then plugging the cable back in.
Speed over Wi-Fi depends on the Wi-Fi device. Modern Wi-Fi devices have speeds of 100 Mbit/sec and higher, so if your Internet speed is less than or equal to these values, you will not lose Internet speed when using Wi-Fi connection.
How to connect WI-FI adapter to computer
To connect and configure a WI-FI router to the Internet most likely everyone can. The next step is to get our PC without a Wi-Fi router to start catching Wi-fi network. For this we will need to buy a WI-FI adapter and install it on the computer. Applying such a USB adapter your computer will really be able to receive Wi-fi over the air, without being tied to the wires, thus at any time you can move your PC, at any convenient place. over we installed a router for those purposes, to get rid of the wires in the house. If you do not know how to choose the adapter, read the topic “Best USB Wi-Fi Adapters”.
Once we have installed the router and adjusted the Wi-Fi network at home, if at work, it means at the office, respectively, all our mobile gadgets such as laptop, cell phone, tablet PC will instantly find and connect to the Wi-Fi network, without wires “through the air”. If for some reason you still do not know how to configure the router wi-fi recommend to read the topic “How to configure a Wi-Fi router. TP-Link TL-WR841N router. Because these devices manufacturer has taken care of built-in Wi-Fi receiver, and we are talking about a computer which is initially not equipped with this adapter, and most likely would also want to connect to the global network without the hassle of wires. For this purpose and there are a couple of options:
The first way will probably not work for us, as it is supposed to connect our computer to the Internet by laying a network cable to it. And as our topic is about Wi-Fi adapters that means that this option will not work for us.
And here is the second method, which we will review just for us. This option in this case suits us. Now we will consider two types of adapters, internal and external. Simply put the Wi-Fi adapter which looks like an add-on card inserted in a special PCI slot which is located in the middle of the computer will be called internal. For its installation will require a little knowledge. And it looks like the pictures below.
The most convenient and easy to configure and use is an external Wi-Fi adapter that we will connect to the desktop computer today. After you read this topic your computer will finally be independent of network cables and will be portable and will be able to catch the Wi-Fi network over the air. One of the USB Wi-fi receivers I have installed on my PC, which you will find in the pictures below, such Wi-Fi adapters are also called flash drives.
Now that we have learned a bit about what are wi-fi devices it is time to start plugging them into the computer.
Let’s begin to install the WI-FI adapter on a TP-LINK line computer
Let’s take the Wi-Fi adapter and connect it to the computer. Despite its small size, I recommend to connect to the USB sockets which are located on the back of your computer. Assuming that all your sockets are occupied, you can use different extension cords to connect the TL-WN725N adapter or the one included in the package.
Once you insert the device into the USB jack your operating system will automatically look for drivers, usually it finds them by itself, it is possible that Windows will not find them and gives an error. Don’t worry ignore it, then insert the disk that comes with it and install the drivers and utilities from the disk. If you for some reason can not find the installation disk, I recommend to search for the model of the Wi-Fi adapter in my case it is TL-WN725N. If you already did not find it, I recommend to read this topic How to find a driver of any uninstalled device.
There is no point in describing the driver installation process itself. Now we just need to wait for the installation to complete. Once the installation is complete, in the notification panel, where the clock is, you can observe the status of Internet connection in the form of sticks with a yellow snowflake and this will tell you that our Wi-Fi adapter has found the network available for connection.
Now click on this status to connect Wi-Fi, if there is an available network to connect, select it and click on the button “Connect”.
After pressing the window will pop up, here we need to enter the password to the Wi-Fi network and below as shown in the photo click “Ok”.
Congratulations if you see the white sticks in the network status. This will indicate that your computer is connected to a Wi-Fi network. Congratulations!
As I said before this procedure takes very little time to connect and configure our network WI-FI adapter TP-LINK TL-WN725N, and most importantly through this device connected to the Wi-Fi network by air independently.
Using such adapters, whether the company TP-LINK or any other no problem to install and operate them, for that they are very grateful. These adapters on the market are usually not expensive and their benefits are many.
Now a few words about what kind of adapter to buy to connect your PC to the Wi-Fi network? I think there is absolutely no difference, just external USB adapters are more versatile and easy to install and configure the more it can be at any time to take and install on another PC.
Now you understand how convenient and practical to use USB WI-FI adapter to connect your home computer to the World Wide Web and most importantly very quickly and easily without dragging a bunch of network wires around the house. Good luck to everyone do not forget to share the topic and ask questions in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев.
Internal Wi-Fi receivers
Mainly connected via PCI interface. which means you will need to open the system unit to install. They look like this:
For the price of external receivers is almost the same. Installation should be no problem.
As you have already realized, the lack of Wi-Fi on your computer is solved very quickly and without much cost. But you do not need to lay a network cable through the whole apartment. And you might also ask whether the speeds over Wi-Fi will be slower than over cable. I answer, I have the Internet goes through a router TP-Link TL-WR841N, to the computer so far by cable, and the laptop is connected via Wi-Fi, according to my observations, the laptop works even faster. That’s it friends. Good luck!
How to connect PC to TV via Wi-Fi Direct?
The way to connect your computer to the TV, or vice versa, will be different from the above.
- Using the instructions that came with the LG or Samsung TV, connect the device to the same router as the PC.
- Now set up the DLNA server on your laptop or desktop PC. To do this in Explorer, select “Network” from the menu on the left. You will see a notification that “Network discovery and file sharing have been disabled”. Right-click on this message and select “Enable Network Discovery and File Sharing”.
- Once DLNA is activated, you will need to go to your TV menu to view the contents of connected devices. For example, on LG televisions you need to select the “SmartShare” section. This will show you the content of the folders you are allowed to view in Windows 10.
- Next, to run some movie on your LG TV, you need to right-click on it and select “Play on” and select the device model that will be displayed in the list.
This is the standard instruction for setting up Direct. Each TV model’s manual has a section devoted to Direct. You can use the advice from the TV’s developers.
Problems and their solutions
For many users, despite completing all the above steps, access to the Internet via such a Wi-Fi connection does not work. Here are a few possible ways to fix it and get to the bottom of it.
- Try to disable Wi-Fi sharing (the command just pointed out), then. disable Internet connection (the one we allowed to share). After that, re-enable them in order: first the Wi-Fi sharing (via the netsh wlan start hostednetwork command, the other commands before that are not needed), then the Internet connection.
- After you start the Wi-Fi connection a new wireless connection is created in your list of network connections. Right click on it and click “Details” (Status. Details). See if the IPv4 Address and Subnet Mask is listed there. If not, specify manually in the connection properties (can be taken from the screenshot). Similarly, if you have problems connecting other devices to the network you are sharing, you can use a static IP in the same address space, for example 192.168.173.5.
- Many antivirus firewalls block Internet sharing by default. To see if this is the cause of the problems with Wi-Fi, you can temporarily disable the firewall altogether and if the problem disappears, start looking for the appropriate setting.
- Some users enable sharing for the wrong connection. It should be enabled for the connection that is used to access the Internet. For example, if you have a local network connection, and Beeline L2TP or Rostelecom PPPoE is running for the Internet, then you must share access for the latter two.
- Check that the Windows service “Internet Connection Sharing” is enabled.
I think you can make it work. All the above described just tested in a batch: a computer with Windows 10 Pro and Atheros Wi-Fi adapter, iOS devices were connected.4 and Android 5.1.1.
Additionally: Wi-Fi sharing with additional features (e.g. automatic start of sharing at login) in Windows 10 is promised by Connectify Hotspot, moreover, in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев to my previous article on the subject (see “Connectify Hotspot”). How to give out Wi-Fi from a laptop), some have the free MyPublicWiFi program working.
Connecting the network without using a cable
For standard PC’s that don’t have any built-in modules, there are countless different models on sale. These devices can be classified into the following two types:
If we talk about price, then on the such a purchase will not hit much. Of course, on the market you can find such models that will cost exorbitant money, but buying such equipment does not make any sense.
If you are ready to spend less than ten dollars, you can pay attention to the following manufacturers:
These components work without interruptions and provide quite a good connection. Many of the devices in this area are in the form of familiar USB sticks, which are very convenient to use.
How to find out if the Wi-Fi adapter driver is installed
To check whether a wireless adapter driver is present in the system or whether it needs to be installed, you can use the following ways. The first is much preferable.
In the Device Manager
Press the WinX key combination, select Device Manager, expand the Network Adapters section by clicking on the “” icon:
Under Network Connections
Attention! If Wireless is listed but Wi-Fi is not working, check if the connection is active. Right-click on it and select Enable:
Remove the old Wi-Fi driver
In some cases, you cannot install a new driver for your wireless adapter until you uninstall the old one.
Before uninstalling the old driver you should make a backup of your system (or make a backup of the drivers). How to back up your system and then restore it is described in this article
via Device Manager
To remove a driver from the Device Manager you just need to find the desired device and open its properties (double left click). Then go to the tab “Driver. and click on the “Uninstall” button (see. arrows 1, 2, 3 in the screenshot below).
Delete driver / Device Manager
With Driver Sweeper
There is a special utility for removing any drivers from the system. Driver Sweeper. You can learn how to use it in the following article.
How to remove drivers with the special. utilities (Driver Sweeper, for example).
By the way, the utility allows you to remove almost any driver in the system. be careful not to remove something you need.
Good luck and peace of mind (often lacking when there are problems with the “drivers”)!