How to check the authenticity of iPhone SE?
Go to “Settings” → “Basic” → “About this device” and find the item “Serial number” on your iPhone. Click on this link from your device. The link leads to the official Apple website to check the serial numbers.
- IMEI on the back of the case
- IMEI in “Settings. Basic. About this device”
- IMEI on request #06#
- IMEI on the SIM card tray (not relevant for iPhone SE and “five”)
- IMEI on the box (if available)
How to check your iPhone before you buy a used one
It is a bit more complicated when you buy an iPhone out of hand. Such a purchase requires a more careful approach and additional checks. To be confident in your purchase, to fully protect yourself from possible fraud and competently check the purchased iPhone, you will need the following:
- You need to check the appearance of your iPhone, and check it for dents, chips, cracks, and other damages. As a rule, it is better not to buy an iPhone with extensive mechanical damage. Phone will stop working after another shock. If this happens it may cost you a pretty penny to repair your phone.
- The most reliable way to check your iPhone by serial number on Apple’s official website (https://support.Apple.com/en-ru/HT201296). Here you can check all the necessary information about the iPhone model, color and date of manufacture.
- The iPhone box is always a plus for the seller. But even here we need to be careful. You need to check your iPhone again by IMEI and serial number. They certainly should match the ones on the packaging of the iPhone. If it does not and the previous owner of the iPhone is silent about it, he may be hiding something.
- It’s also a good idea to check your iPhone at www.chipmunk.nl, IMEI.info or iphoneimei.info. Here you can check the IMEI number for valuable information about your iPhone, like model, color, date of manufacture, warranty expiration date, and also check if the phone is listed as stolen or wanted by its former owner.
- There are 3 categories of purchased iPhones: 1) compatible with the SIM-cards of any operators without additional settings. “unlocked” or Neverlock; 2) iPhones that are linked to a particular mobile operator and require additional settings to work with the other GSM networks. “locked” or Lock; 3) iPhones reprogrammed for the absence of network restrictions. “unlocked” or Softunlock. We recommend buying only Neverlock category iPhones. With the rest you usually have problems. Check the “locked” iPhone by the presence of the circuit in the tray for the SIM-card, as well as by how easily the iPhone will catch the network with your SIM-card and will not require additional adjustments in this case.
- Next, let’s check that the iPhone works: 1) The buttons and switches should not jam, stick and respond slowly; 2) The Home button and the TouchID function combined with it should work by light, effortless pressure; 3) There should be no debris behind the camera lens, the photos should be clear and sharp; 4) The iPhone screen should not contain “broken” pixels, the image should be bright and focused; 5) The sensor should respond quickly and easily to touch, icons should easily follow your finger; 6) The headset jacks, charging jacks and data cable should not be loose, should provide a strong connection; 7) The battery should withstand the test work in a conversation mode, watching video over the Internet using Wi-Fi for several minutes with the maximum charge level decrease not more than 1-3.
- Pay attention to the phone screen. Ideally, if it remains genuine, not repaired or replaced with a copy.
- Check the charging status of your iPhone. It should charge quickly and not be warm at this time.
- You should also check the frequently used applications. GPS navigation, text editors, media players, etc.д.
- Disconnect your iPhone from your account and reset your previous settings. You can check iPhone tethering to iCloud on iCloud.com using the serial number or IMEI number.
We wish you a successful purchase and only positive emotions from using your Apple devices!
What to do before you give up your money
You can not check anything else in the gadget. You only need to make some settings. They will fully transfer the device to the control of the new owner, which will eliminate the possibility of fraud.
Ask the owner to disable the “Find iPhone” function and delete the iCloud account in front of you. This will be enough to get rid of the possibility of locking the device. Next. delete owner data. It is necessary to do a complete reset of iPhone settings and content. This is done in Settings, “Basic” section. There is a button “Reset”. If you click on it you will see a menu. There you need to click on “Erase content and settings. When you select it, you will need to enter the owner’s Apple ID data, which he must do. After a complete wipe, the iPhone will ask you to enter the new owner’s Apple ID. It means that the device is completely clean, and there is no old data left. You need to log into your own Apple ID account right away, but this will require the internet.
But after that, it’s still worth double-checking the iPhone for old data. To do this, in the iCloud, iTunes Store and Apple Store sections, which are located in Settings. The fields where the account information is located should be blank.
The final check concerns iCloud tethering.com. On this site you need to find the section “Checking the status of the lock and activation. There you need to enter the IMEI of the iPhone. The result should look like on the screenshot.
By the way, it is also recommended to check the package when you buy an iPhone out of hand. That is, in the box should lie USB cord with the appropriate plug, headphones, an adapter for the socket and instructions. The headphones have to be in a case. If there is something missing, or some component is in poor condition, you can discount the price.
How to check iPhone on the Apple site
There, in “Settings. Basic. About this device” you can see the serial number. You can use it too. Go to Apple website and check the status of your device.
That’s how you know you’re not looking at a Frankenstein with a conditional 6s body and stuffing from a six. The page will show the model of the device, the limited warranty expiration date, and information about the date of purchase.
Check the model and condition of the iPhone in hand
Sad but true. Sometimes sellers try to sell one iPhone model for the price of another. For example: 6 for the price of 6S or iPhone 8 for the price of 8 Plus.
In the case of the latter, there are notable differences that are important to learn and familiarize yourself with before going for a deal.
Do not be lazy, go to Apple website before checking, learn all the features, make yourself printouts of the new and purchased used iPhone model.
We strongly advise against buying used models 5, 5S, 6, 6S. Why? Because they have long been discontinued by Apple. Yes, one way or another, it’s still an iPhone, but it’s better to look for at least a used iPhone 7 or iPhone 8. There is a better chance that it will work and last longer. Also, significant advantages in terms of battery, and on the iPhone 8, wireless charging. Do not spare money, seriously, choose a newer device and let it last longer.
Examine the case of a purchased used iPhone. There may be small scratches on it. it is logical, if the model is not the iPhone 13 Pro, and it has really been used by a person for some time.
Very often you meet salespeople who give away their iPhones with a broken screen, glass or camera for “free”. They say: “You just need to replace it”. With such devices you need to be very careful and consult a service center beforehand.
If you do not do this. you run the risk of buying a device for which you will later overpay twice when repairing it, or which will not be repairable at all.
Checking the water intrusion detector
If the purchased iPhone has passed the previous checks without any problems, do not relax and look for further flaws.
All iPhones since the first model are equipped with a liquid marker. On current devices (starting with iPhone 5) it is located in the slot for the SIM card tray. It’s enough to remove the tray and shine a flashlight inside.
The silver or white color of the marker means that the smartphone did not leak liquid inside the case. Red indicator will give you the drowned person right away.
How do I know if my iPhone has been repaired or not??
In fact, you can check the status of your iPhone very easily. you only need to enter the settings of your smartphone. In the “Basic” section of the iPhone settings at the very top there is a subsection “About this device”. Here you can see the memory capacity, serial number, model, and more.
- On the case of the device;
- on your Mac. in the Apple About menu on your Mac;
- on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, iPod, or Apple Watch in the “Settings” “General” “About this device” menu;
- In Finder or iTunes, if the product synchronizes with your computer.
How do you check if your iPhone is new?? Method 2
Open the Settings application and go to: Basic → About this device.
In the window that appears, open the “Limited Warranty”.
Here will appear (perhaps not immediately, but within a day) the estimated end date of the Right to Service and Repair, which is determined by adding 365 days to the day of activation. In other words, to find out the date of the first activation, subtract exactly 1 year from the estimated date.
If the date of activation, which you carried out will be different from that specified in the service “Verification of the right to service and support”, then you can safely make a claim to the seller. the smartphone was activated earlier, t.е. Unfortunately, you are not the first owner of that iPhone.
Here is an example from life. In the former Soviet Union it is often used to sell gray (imported illegally) activated iPhones under the guise of new ones. How it happens? Newly titled (tied to the mobile operator) iPhones are sold, for example, in the U.S., at a fairly low price. They are bought by “businessmen” with the purpose of subsequent unlocking (unlinking from the operator) for a fee.
However, in most cases, to unlock your iPhone, you need to unpack it, repair the software and re-pack it. By and large, this is a new phone (not actually used), identical to the one purchased from an official reseller, but the date of its first activation will not correspond to the date of activation by the buyer, as it has already been made earlier. Naturally the lifetime of the service and support for such phone will be less than a year.