Setting two routers in one network. We connect two routers by Wi-Fi and cable
Let us consider in this article two options that can be interconnected by routers among themselves on the same network. The first option is the connection of two routers via Wi-Fi, and the second option is the connection of routers via network cable. In any case, the routers will work on the same network, and everyone will distribute the Internet both via cable and Wi-Fi.
Why configure such a scheme at all and why connect one router to another? There are different situations. Most often, this is the expansion of the Wi-Fi network coating area, although for such tasks I recommend using repiteters, or routers who can work in a repiter mode. Everything is very simple here. We have already installed and set up a router, or a modem that distributes the Internet. We connect the second to this router, via a wireless network, or using a network cable. Having set the second router in another room, or on another floor, it will distribute Wi-Fi further.
Or in this way you can connect the Internet from a neighbor. Pay for one connection, and divide it by two routers. In fact, there are a lot of options. And if you have already entered this page, then most likely you already know why you should connect one router to the second. Therefore, let’s get down closer to business.
Advice! If you want to set up such a scheme exclusively to expand the existing Wi-Fi network, then it is best to configure the router in the repiter mode, if it supports such a function. ASUS and ZYXEL devices can do that, here are the instructions:
How to combine two routers into one Wi-Fi network?
It is clear that in order to combine for example two (or more). Router into one network, they must somehow be interconnected.
- Connection of two or more routers using a cable. It is necessary to lay a network cable from one router to the second. This is not always convenient, and it does not always work out. But this is the most reliable and stable way. If you need a stable network, with good speed and for a large number of devices, then it is best to connect the routers with the cable.
- Connection of routers without wires, by Wi-Fi. In this case, the connection is used in the bridge mode (WDS), the client, or in the repiter mode. In fact, this is one and the same. Just on different routers, different manufacturers, these settings are made in different ways.
They figured it out. For example, we have the main router to which the Internet is connected, and it distributes a Wi-Fi network. We need to install another router, for example, in another room, or on another floor. We can connect the second router to the first to the cable, or by Wi-Fi. Almost all modern routers have such an opportunity.
Also, we need to decide, we need one Wi-Fi network, simply reinforced by the second (third, fourth) router, or each router must create a separate network, with a different name and password. The operator’s operating mode depends on this, which we need to configure. Basically, you need one wireless network, just reinforced. So that the devices themselves, and quietly switched between access points.
Let’s now consider both methods of connection: via a wireless network, and with a cable.
There is another recognized option on how to connect a router to another router via Wi-Fi. Connect them with each other by creating a wireless “Wi-Fi” bridge, as a result of which, it is possible to install routers at a great distance from each other, while increasing the coating area. Cables in this case will not be needed, at this a positive moment: they will not interfere. But this option is not devoid of negative aspects: it is simple to connect, but the network loses stability, which is accompanied by a decrease in speed. If there are serious reasons not to use the cable for the connection, this will not be the worst option. Using a wireless method of connecting and connecting routers, it should be borne in mind that not all devices support WDS mode, this mainly applies to outdated models.
Wireless bridge based on WDS
A network bridge without wires is created simply if you connect two routers into one Wi-Fi network, but the process itself is complex and long-term. Methods of settings in details differ on different routers, but the principle of creating such a bridge with your own hands is unchanged: for this you need support for WDS.
To expand the coating, it is recommended to connect and connect one router with another via Wi-Fi, using devices of one brand. In other words, if the main router, for example, ASUS, work and connection will be more stable when using an additional device of the same brand.
Setting the main router for WDS mode
Different routers have their settings, a lot of benefits have been released on this occasion. But the process and sequence of actions described in them are so complex and confusing that the user is simply lost. And the principle of how to set up a router (main) in order to connect with additional, it comes down to one, regardless of the model of the device:
Pre.Configure the main router to the provider, mandatory conditions. Reception and distribution. Internet in “Connected” mode.
- Open the web-integer and go to “Settings”.
- Select “Wireless Settings”.
- Change the “automatic channel” mode by manual and apply values of 1, 6, 11, which of them will be less loaded.
- Click on the “Save” button.
Setting the second router for WDS mode
Everything is somewhat more complicated here, but to figure out how to configure the WDS wireless bridge for the second router before connecting, it will also not be difficult. Setting the router in the bridge mode for an additional device looks like this:
- First change the IP address of this device.
- Set the identical channel, as the main one, indicates the same value.
- Connect the “bridge” function (WDS), marking the line with a checkmark.
- Indicate the name of the network (SSID) used by the main device.
- Next, you need to enter the MAC address of the main router.
- Indicate its password, key type and password “Wi-Fi” network.
- When the WDS function is turned on, the “Search” button will appear. Click on it to scan available networks.
- Select the desired network. “connect”.
- Indicate the “key type” and “password” of the main device network, then. “save”.
- Go to “DHCP settings”, disconnect the DHCP server.
- Click on the “Save” button and restart. It was possible to connect.
Connecting access point (TD) to the router
Before connecting both routers to create and configure the wireless bridge, connect them with each other, you will need to update the firmware and start the access points of access that contributes to the expansion of the coating radius. Connection will help create a distributed network using several TD to obtain a connection through both devices.
TD connection to each other
In order to connect two devices, the process begins with the entry on a computer or laptop in the search engine of the Router address browser through: http: // 192.168.One.One. Then click Enter, specify user data in the registration window: admin and admin. Next, switch to the route web-integer:
- In the settings, select “Wireless Networks”.
- In the name of the network-SSID-specify the name, for example, WL550GE, and in the WPA2-PSK column, come up with a password for a wireless network. Remember it or write it down.
- In the IP Config folder, open Wan Lan, where the IP address of the first access point is indicated. Remember it.
- In the folder “Wireless Networks” select “Bridge”.
- In the new window, find AP Mode, where to choose a “mixed mode”, and as a bridge. The WDS Only option.
- Select a fixed WDS channel here, value 1, 6 or 11.
- Activate the function “Connection to access points in the list of remote bridges”.
- Enter the MAC address of the second access point with a value of 00: 0e: a6: a1: 3f: 6e-“add”.
- Click on the “Full” button, then. “save and restart”.
Settings of the second TD
To connect the second router to the access point and connect with the first, a similar sequence of actions is used. Then go directly to the settings of the device:
- Open the menu and indicate the name of the network (SSID), it must coincide with the first TD.
- In the IP Config menu, open a DHCP server.
- In the line “Turn on the DHCP server” select the “no” option, then-“apply”.
- In the “bridge” menu, indicate the same channel as the first TD.
- Enter the MAC address of the first access point 00: 0e: a6: a1: 3f: 87-“add”.
- In the Password field, you must enter a code word invented by the user for “WPA2-PSK” in the first router.
- Click on the “Full” button, and then “save and restart”.
If you don’t want to read, look at the following
To connect a laptop or PC to a router, you need a cord, otherwise called a patch cord. As a rule, it comes together with the router. If there is no such cable or its length is not enough, the patch cord should be purchased at the store.
Router to Router connection Using LAN Cable| Increase or Extend Home WiFi Range| ToT- Talk Of Tech
It is better to buy ready.Made cords made by the factory way. During their manufacture, a special, non.Festival cable is used, which can be many times bent without fear of damaging the conductor.
Ready-made patch cords are up to 10 meters long. If the connection takes place at a large distance, then in a computer store or in a company engaged in network technologies, they can make a cable of the required length. It is difficult to make such a wire without a special tool on your own without a special tool.
To connect a laptop or PC, connect one end of the network cable to the LAN port on the router. Usually there are four such connectors, but there may be one, there may be more than four. It depends on the model of the router. You can connect to any free port, not necessarily to the first.
Connect the second end of the patch cord to the network connector in the computer or laptop. If the network connector is usually integrated on the motherboard in the laptops, then not all modern computers have it. If the connector is absent, you will have to purchase a special adapter connected via USB.
Actually, this is the physical connection to the Internet through the router and ends. If the wire for connecting the computer to the router is not damaged, the LED corresponding to the connected port will start to flash on the latter. If the provider cable is connected to the WAN port of the router, and the router itself is correctly configured, then the computer will automatically receive Internet access. This will signal the corresponding icon on the taskbar in the lower right corner of the screen.
Connection to the router using a network cable (LAN)
Everything is very simple. We take the network cable, we connect one end to the router in one of the LAN connectors (they are signed by LAN, or home network). And we connect the second end of the cable to the computer network card. It looks like this:
If you connect a laptop to the router, then we do everything exactly the same there. One end of the cable to the router, and the second in the network map of the laptop:
That’s all the connection. If the router is turned on, then the computer should immediately respond to connection to the router. The connection status in the TEA will change (in the lower right corner).
If the Internet is connected to the router, and it is already configured, then most likely the connection icon will be as follows:
This means that everything is fine and the Internet is already working.
And if the router is not yet configured (you are just going to configure it). Or there are some problems in the computer settings, then the connection status will be with a yellow exclamation mark. And without access to the Internet. The Internet on the computer will not work.
If the Internet from this router on other devices works fine, and on the computer that we connected without access to the Internet, then you need to check the IP and DNS settings for the local network.
Update from 22.Ten.2019. At the request of our readers, the bearded man makes an extension of the article on additional tenda settings.
On the left we select “Wi-Fi Settings” and then “Access Point”. After turning on the regime, on this device it will not be possible to configure the Internet, parental control. By restrictions, you will see a clear message. If you want to go to this device, you will need to use not IP, but DNS. Tendawifi.Com.
If you have 4 versions of the firmware, then select “Wireless Repeating” and on the right we turn on the “AP Mode” check. Next, click “OK”.
We move to the left to the “Wi-Fi settings” section and turn on the mode “Wi-Fi Retransplant”. After that, select the wireless network of the main device, enter the key and connect.
On another firmware, this is done in the “Wireless Repeating” section. We turn on the Universal Repeater. Below, select the desired network and enter the password above.
Two ways to combine routers
Routers are connected to one local network or cable, or via a wireless channel. It is recommended to use devices of one manufacturer.
The “twisted pair” cable (UTP cable) is laid between the main and additional routers. In the main router, the cable is connected to the LAN nest, and in the additional. To the WAN nest (this nest is highlighted in color and is sometimes called Internet). At the same time, an additional router will be connected for the main network device, and the main one for additional will act as a provider, distributing the Internet and providing a dynamic IP address.
Before installing an additional router, think about how the cable will be laid, and carefully measure the length of the future cable channel. When purchasing a cable, buy one meter longer than the measured cable channel, and ask the seller to immediately squeeze the ends of the cable into the connectors. If the cable channel passes outside the room and is exposed to natural influences, then purchase a cable with an enhanced shell.
- The reliability and stability of the cable connection;
- Simplicity of setting up both routers;
- The installation site of an additional router is not limited to the wireless coverage area of the main router.
Setting up routers when connecting cables
If the main router is already set to work with the provider and there are no complaints about work, then there is no need to change anything in the settings.
Make sure the DHCP function in the main router is included for automatic distribution of IP addresses in the local network. The initial and final IP address does not need to be changed.
Setting an additional router
It is recommended to immediately reset the possible changes in the router settings to the pre.Installed by the manufacturer. To do this, turn on the router, find the Reset button on the rear panel, press and hold a pressed for 5-7 seconds. To protect against random reset of settings, the button is hidden inside the case and you can press it through the hole using a needle or an exposed office paper clip.
In an additional router, two settings are checked and installed:
- In the WAN settings, indicate the type of connection “Dynamic IP”.
- Change your own IP address of an additional router so that the new address does not duplicate the IP address of the main router. You can only change the numbers in the address in the last group. Changes in numbers in the first three groups of address are prohibited. For example: it was 192.168.0.1, became 192.168.0.11 or 192.168.0.2
After changing the IP address of the router for re-access to the control panel in the address bar of the browser, indicate the new address.
There is a variant of the cable connection in which the cable is connected to the port of the LAN additional router. This option requires complex settings and does not provide advantages before connecting through the port of WAN.
Setting up routers when connecting via Wi-Fi channel
When combining two routers in a local network, a “bridge” type, Wireless Distribution System (WDS), developed specifically to expand the Wi-Fi coverage area, is used on a wireless channel.
General information about the type of “bridge” (WDS)
When installing this type of connection, the main router operates in standard mode, and the additional Wi-Fi amplifier function, taking and distributing the signal further.
To connect the routers in Most mode, it is necessary to set a permanent (fixed) communication channel between them and indicate in the settings the physical addresses of the connected devices. For setting up the “bridge”, both routers are turned on, the main router is tuned in advance to the provider, receives and distributes the Internet, and the settings of the additional pre.Given by the factory installations by pressing the Reset button.
Setting up the main router for WDS mode
The mode of automatic selection of the broadcast channel is changed to the fixed channel mode (for example, on the 11th channel).
Connect two wifi routers. Tp link wifi router. Dlink wifi router. (Tutorial)
It is recommended to choose channels. 6 or 11. This is due to the technical features of the use of channels.
The installation of a fixed channel number prohibits the router to automatically scan ether and choose the least loaded channel. Therefore, if extraneous wireless networks work nearby, you may manually have to experimentally select the least uploaded channel or use a special program to search for a free channel. The channel number is required to be changed simultaneously on both routers. The main and additional.
Setting an additional router for WDS mode
- Change your own IP address of an additional router in the same way as for a cable connection.
- Install the same broadcasting channel that was installed on the main router (for example, 11).
- Turn on the “bridge” function (WDS).
- Indicate the name of the wireless network (SSID) distributed by the main router, to which an additional router will be connected.
- Indicate the MAC address of the main router.
- If the wireless network of the main router is protected by password, indicate the type of key and network password.
- After turning on WDS in the wireless mode settings window, additional fields will appear and the “Search” button. Click on it to start scanning wireless networks.
- Select the required network by clicking on the link “connect”. SSID fields (a network to which you want to connect) and “MAC address (the address you want to connect to)” will be filled out automatically.
- Fill the fields “key” and “password” to connect to the protected wireless network of the main router. Save the changes.
- Go to the DHCP tab and turn off (!) this function.
- Save the changes and reboot the router.
- Check the condition of the device on the main screen of the control panel.
The first router LAN. The second router Wan
This is the second option with which you can connect a router through a router with a cascade using a cable.
Unlike the previous method, there will be not one large local network, but two. Each router has its own. Note: With this connection of devices with the main router, the internal network of the secondary will be unavailable, but from the second locker of the first it will be at a glance. This must be taken into account. Features of the setting of this scheme implies that on the main distributing device, nothing is also needed to be triggered. On the second router, you need to go into the connection parameters and set the type “Dynamic IP (DHCP)” there.
I also strongly advise you to change the IP address of the second router in the local network if it coincides with the first. Otherwise, malfunctions of the connected router are possible due to the coincidence of the subnet on external and internal intenses.
Through the cable
There are 2 schemes that I personally saw and tried:
In any case, on the leading router, the network cable is connected to any free LAN port. But on the led. Either LAN or WAN. I describe the settings schemes below.
Not the best scheme, but it will work. Why not the best? Yes, because there may be small problems with the settings on the final devices and connecting to Wi-Fi, but this scheme is easier. Our task is to build a common network. Algorithm:
- We connect 2 routers with a cable through the ports of the LAN (which are several and which are usually yellow). We check that the connection indicators on both routers lit up.
- On the driven router, disconnect the work of DHCP. This is necessary so that in the end both of our routers do not conflict for the distribution of IP to all customers. Let the presenter do this.
In the case of problems with the Internet access and receiving IP addresses (for example, for some reason DHCP works incorrectly), it is recommended to make manual settings on the final devices (computers, laptops, phones, tablets)-IP address in one subnet, gateway-address The main router.
If it doesn’t work, try the second method.
We connect the cable to the LAN on the basis, but on the connected to WAN. Usually a lonely dedicated blue port. We don’t touch the main one-even if it will be connected to the Internet and distributes it, but on the side we set up the Internet through the dynamic IP address in the connection settings (WAN):
In total, our first router should give the connection to the second. And already to the second you can connect as when simple use of the Internet.
The schemes are also relevant when using ADSL modems (suddenly someone like me has not yet thrown it away, it may come in handy on the household).
That’s all. I really hope that this article was useful, and labor will not be in vain. If questions remain, I’m waiting in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев. All Pokudova!