How to connect a digital set-top box to your TV
Disconnect all equipment from the mains before connecting all devices by wires. After that, connect the cable that comes from the antenna to the RF IN jack on the set-top box.
Plug the cable from the antenna into the RF IN socket
Now connect the set-top box to the TV. You can use one of the three cables to communicate:
- HDMI. Suitable for newer TVs with the same name output. This wire will provide the maximum picture quality that a digital TV is capable of.
- RCA cable with three plugs. Most often used with older TVs. The quality here is not the same as with HDMI, but if you have a small display on your TV the difference will not be too noticeable. The cable is easy to connect: the color of the plug is the same as the color of the round slot. Yellow is used for video, white is for audio input, and red is for audio output.
You can connect the set-top box to the TV using a “tube” (RCA) or HDMI
After connecting the devices, connect the TV and set-top box to the mains and turn them on. Now we can move on to the search of channels.
You have two options: to set up digital broadcasting directly on the TV or through the set-top box. The first method is only suitable for “Samsung” devices which already have a built-in digital receiver DVB T2. As a rule, such TVs have Smart TV built in (you can connect them to the Internet).
The set top box is needed only for older TVs. If you do not have a Smart TV, most likely you will need a separate digital set-top box or a special add-on. In this article we will consider the set-top box, since the module will not fit all TVs.
The LS, M, Q, H, J, K, F, E series models have a built-in digital tuner. These TV sets were produced in 2012-2013 at the latest. They only need to connect the cable from the antenna and make adjustments through the TV menu.
How to find out the model of your TV? The model code is always found on the label on the back of your TV and, of course, in the owner’s manual. How to determine the series from this code: it is the third letter in the combination. For example, if you have the UN55MU8500T model, your series under the letter M.
The TV model is always on the TV label
Samsung TV varieties
Samsung has been making appliances since the 1930s. In 1998. The company introduced the world’s largest TV with an LCD screen, which was 30 inches in size. Modern models can be divided into 3 variants:
- Models with a built-in tuner to receive a digital DVB-T signal
- Variants with an external device.
- Televisions that do not support a digital signal, they require a set-top box.
The digital channels themselves are broadcast over the Internet for Smart TV or via IPTV. Before setting up the equipment you need to find out if your TV supports DVB-T2, and clarify the year and model.
How to know the model and year of TV
The tuning of digital channels on Samsung begins with clarification of the year of manufacture and TV model. You can do this in 2 ways: go to the TV menu or look at the label on the back.
- Through the TV menu. Find the “Menu” button on the remote control. Select “Support”. Then, “contact Samsung“. The screen will open with the item “model code”.
- On the label of the device. The information is applied as a code, where each letter has its own meaning, for example, UE32F6800. The information is deciphered as follows:
- UE. type of TV: UE/LE. LCD, PS/PE. plasma.
- 32 is the diagonal and varies from 19 to 105 inches.
- F. year of manufacture, its classification: A. 2008, B. 09, C. 10, D. 11, ES/EH. 12, F/FH. 13, H/HU. 14, J/JU/JS. 15, K/KU/KS. 16, M/MU/Q/LS. 17, N/NU. 2018, S. premium versions of different years.
- 6800 is the numeric designation of the TV modification.
When the model is defined, check whether it supports digital signal reception without a special set-top box.
How to determine whether you have a tuner
Without additional set-top box you can configure your TV with built-in or external tuner to receive DVB-T2 signal. The module easily decodes 20 basic channels, which are switched to digital broadcasting.
You can check if your TV model has this equipment on the official Samsung website, or in the TV passport. On the resource of the manufacturer just find the column “technical specifications”, go to “Broadcasting system” or “tuners”, enter the data of the model and see if the column contains DVB-T2 plus or not. If you have. digital television is available.
How to connect the receiver to the TV set
Analogue broadcasting is disabled in Russia. To watch digital 20 free channels you need a modern TV set with built-in DVB-T2 tuner, Smart TV or a set-top box (receiver). This equipment acts as a decoder for the signal. It transmits an image to the screen. And it can affect the quality of broadcasting. Let’s understand how to connect the tuner to the TV through the various connectors provided in the kit or suitable for your technique.
Types of digital broadcasting transmission
Digital signal is transmitted via cable, satellite dish or over the air (common area cable). Each type requires its own equipment:
- Cable television. The picture comes in a compressed format. To decode it, you need a decoder that works with the DVB-C signal. Receiving equipment or a set-top box is usually at the disposal of the provider who connects the Internet and television in the house. In this case, the receiver is leased for the duration of the contract. The tuning is done by craftsmen who run a cable through the apartment to the TV.
- Satellite television works through an antenna and broadcasts digital channels on a DVB-S signal. It was one of the first to broadcast channels in digital format, so users who were already using antennas and satellite operators did not buy additional equipment after switching from analog to digital format. The kit includes the antenna, tripod, receiver, cables.
- Broadcast television has switched to digital format according to DVB-T protocol. The signal comes through cables stretched between houses and wired into the apartment. Broadcast frequency from 0.3 to 3 GHz. You can also connect to it via a classic antenna (dish).
Free to watch the 20 basic TV channels. They can be set up on any old TV through a wire that has already been brought into the room. But to convert a digital signal into an analog signal will need a receiver (set top box).
How to connect a digital set-top box to your Samsung TV
Cutting off analog TV and switching to digital DVB-T2 shows that it’s time to go digital. In this article we will look at how to connect a digital set-top box to a Samsung TV.
If you have an older TV, more than 5 years old, chances are it does not support the new broadcast format. In this case you won’t be able to watch TV. But there is a way out! Connect the set-top box to the DVB-T2 set-top box. It’s cheaper than new TV set.
This picture shows schematically how to do it.
- Connect the antenna cable to the input of the receiver (DVB-T2).
- Use the 3RCA-3RCA cable (included in the package) to connect the video/audio input of your TV set. If your TV has a digital HDMI input. you can use that instead of 3RCA.
Insert the battery into the remote control and connect the power adapter to the DVB-T2 set-top box. Turn on receiver and TV set.
NOTE! All connections must be made with the equipment turned off, otherwise there is a possibility of failure.
After the first watching of the receiver the TV-set will show the main menu or the “Setting guide” for tuning in the TV-set DVB-T2. It differs in appearance from model to model. But the general procedure is about the same as on the TV when setting up channels.
To search for channels in automatic mode, select this menu item and press “ОК”. Receiver will scan the whole range of TV channels and found channels will be displayed in the form of a list. When the scanning is completed, close the search menu and go to watching channels.
What to do?
If the problem is urgent, you must first make sure that the STB is switched on. If the green indicator on the panel does not light up, you need to take the remote control and press the round button on it to turn on / off the device.
If the device is active, the problem is solved in another way, depending on the nature of the problem. Sometimes it happens that the initial console was connected “the old-fashioned way”, through a cable. and this is wrong. If you connect to an older TV, you will need to buy additional equipment (a tuner with the appropriate input and output). Next, the cable coming directly from the antenna must be connected to the output named Input (IN). Connect the cable designed for signal reception to the TV set to the socket labeled Output.
In modern models a special AV module is already built in, so it is simply impossible to connect the set-top box to them as described above.
Owners of modern equipment with HDMI-type connectors need to buy the appropriate cable. It will be a quick and easy connection.
In any case when connecting it is important to remember a general rule: the cables that are on the set-top box are connected to the output socket, and those on the TV. to the sockets labeled Input.
How to connect samsung smart tv to hd set top box || samsung smart tv connect with tata sky hd
If the set-top box does not see the TV even after all the manipulations you have carried out, you need to check the equipment itself for faultless functioning. You can only test a digital set-top box on another TV. It is worthwhile to check the TV itself for serviceability. The technique can be in working order, but the connectors and inputs will be broken.
When the receiver is connected to the TV set, it’s time to begin setting up television broadcasting. Many users wonder how many TV channels can be set up after the decoder is connected? The answer to this question will vary depending on several factors. If your choice has fallen on free multiplexes, then you can set up about 20 TV channels, depending on the location.
If you will use digital cable TV, the list of channels depends on the selected package. In addition, in order to watch blocked broadcasts, you will need to buy a CAM module. The provider will insert a special card into this adapter, which will open additional channels in accordance with the previously selected package. Of course, in this case you will have to pay a monthly fee.
So in order to start the process of tuning “digital”, turn on the TV set and the decoder, then switch to AV mode or select HDMI as a signal source and open the main menu of the device. Initially, the receiver does not have stored channels, so you will have to configure them yourself. To do this use the option “Autodetect”.
After a few minutes you will notice that the receiver has found from 10 to 20 channels. After the automatic search is finished the receiver will offer to save the list of broadcasts. Algorithm of the search of TV channels is about the same, regardless of the TV model.
As you probably noticed from the tips described above, connection, setup, channel search. the most simple and straightforward process that absolutely every user can handle.
Briefly about the TV receivers
You will need a receiver to view digital TV correctly. This device is used to decode the signal. Many modern TV models Samsung, Philips, Sony, LG have a built-in T2-adapter.
How to check whether your TV has a tuner to tune digital channels? Open the manual, which is included in the basic package of the device. User manual contains all the information you need, including whether or not you have a built-in DVB-T2 set-top box.
If the TV does not have a tuner, you need to buy one. The price depends on the functionality. Note that cable TV operators provide their subscribers with receivers for rent. The user pays only for a subscription.
Digital TV signal reception is another problem that many people face. Residents of rural areas are better to buy and install a device with a decimeter band or satellite dish. The latter option is preferable because remote regions are out of reach of digital repeaters. In cities, this is not a problem, because the TV towers are located near.
Now let’s look at the basic schemes of connecting the receiver to the TV. As mentioned earlier, it depends on the set of available interfaces.