All ways to connect the internet via USB to your computer: USB modems, routers and from your phone
Read about how to connect the internet via USB to your computer, laptop. How to get Internet via telephone or connect to Internet via USB-modem.
The way of connection to the computer via USB is the most suitable in case if your PC does not support Wi-Fi or you need to use internet while travelling. Let’s take a look at all possible ways to set up access to the WAN on your computer using a USB port.
There are a total of three methods of this connection:
- Working with USB modem;
- Connect router via USB;
- Internet delivery from a cell phone or tablet. This method works on devices with Android.
Installing the official software
Connection to the Internet via a modem is impossible, if no software is installed on it. For this purpose it is necessary to choose a product, visit its official site and download.
We used a popular free ZipSoft utility for this example. Algorithm of actions:
- Download and run the downloaded shortcut.
- In the main window of software choose section. “Recommended.
- Go to “Top 50” section.
- Click the “Add to install” button of all the necessary applications.
- Under “Selected” press the “Install” button.
When the process of downloading comes to an end, the programs will automatically start and conduct an independent process of installation of software on your computer.
Free ZipSoft utility will help install drivers
How to increase the 3G modem signal?
Away from the city, it is quite real when the network signal will be changing as the weather, then higher, then lower. Accordingly the quality of the Internet connection will always be different. Can be said more simply and clearly, the Internet will be dull!
If the network signal is unstable in your area, you should consider How to increase the 3G modem signal? On this subject, the network a lot of advice, but I still recommend not wasting time on such things as:
- Cut an opening in the beer can for the modem.
- Construct an antenna out of an aluminum pot.
- Wrap the modem with copper wire.
- Getting into the modem with a soldering iron may end badly.
There are other options, but I do not remember what I read. I will not say that the above options do not work, but some of them did not help me to improve the modem signal.
It is better to look towards more realistic options and not try to make something out of improvised means. I know two ways to increase the signal. One of them is tested by me, but I have not tested the second one, but I don’t have any friends who were not satisfied with the second option.
1) You can use a USB extension cable up to 5 meters long. This is the option that saved me from unstable internet. Sometimes the signal is weak, but quite rarely. It is possible to use the Internet. It was impossible to use the Internet without the extension cord. 3G Network was just not catching no matter how hard I tried.
2) Use special antennas for 3G-USB modems. I can not say much about it, since I have not yet purchased such an antenna. Read online, see reviews, compare antennas. Here is a link “Here” you can read in detail about. (I do not advertise, just an example) I have not seen yet a man who would be dissatisfied with such an antenna.
First of all, try to use a USB extension cord, as. it is very cheap. An extension cord costs 100, I don’t remember exactly.
Instructions for ADSL connection by yourself:
The equipment needed to connect to the Internet no ADSL
To connect to the Internet using ADSL technology you need:. Computer:. ADSL modem;. Splitter;. A set of cables to connect modem to telephone network and computer. Computer requirements: Network card with Ethernet 10/100Base-T interface (if modem with Ethernet), or USB interface (if modem with USB); Operating system any of the following: Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.
The most common reasons
If an external modem is no longer recognized by your device, the first thing to do is to find out what the cause is.
- breakage or damage of the plug
- modem malfunction;
- outdated drivers;
- incompatibility between modem and computer;
- Overflowed system registry;
- virus infection;
- incompatibility with operating system version;
- Use of unlicensed operating system.
There is a solution for each of the above mentioned situations.
Intensive use of mobile modem increases the probability of connector damage (at the modem itself, at USB-cable or at computer). In order to detect exactly where the socket is damaged, you should connect your devices to the USB sockets one by one. After that, take the faulty device to the repair shop as soon as possible.
Modems from most manufacturers are able to work reliably and uninterruptedly for 3-4 years. After that malfunctions up to complete loss of functionality are possible. To do a quick check, just connect the modem to another laptop or computer. If it still remains invisible, return it for repair or buy a new device.
Often the laptop can’t see the modem Megafon, Beeline or other mobile networks, because the required software from the provider and / or drivers aren’t installed. After installation and update you should try to connect again.
Each modem and router have specific system requirements. At the slightest discrepancy there is a conflict and the modem is not recognized. To avoid such problems you should carefully read the actual requirements when buying the device.
Filled system registry also sometimes causes problems with modem recognition. Therefore it is necessary to clean the registry regularly using the CCleaner or similar programs. After completing the procedure, you should restart your computer and then try to connect again.
Presence of viruses can also negatively affect recognition of the router or modem. It is necessary to perform a deep system scan with an antivirus, pre-cleaning the registry.
Another problem, which users often face, is the incompatibility of the cellular modem model with the installed version of the operating system. There are two ways out. to reinstall the system or to buy another modem. Probably there will be difficulties when using unlicensed copies of OS. It is possible to solve the problem by downloading a special patch for troubleshooting, or by installing a licensed version.
In most cases it is easy to connect USB-modem to notebook or desktop computer. You need:
- Insert the SIM card of the operator into the modem.
- Connect the modem to an available USB port of PC or laptop. You can use both USB 2.0, as well as 3.0. If you have a laptop, you can connect the modem via an extension cord and put it near. so you reduce the risk of damaging the device.
- Now make sure that the drivers have been installed correctly. To do this let’s open “Control Panel”. “Device Manager” and choose our modem in the list. You will be able to identify it by its name, it will indicate the manufacturer of the device. Double click on it.
- In the window that opens, click “Query modem”. The system will perform a small test, and then will let you know the results. If everything is OK, you can use the modem. If you receive an error then either the drivers are outdated (try to download new ones from the manufacturer’s site), or the modem is physically damaged, or it is not compatible with your OS version.
At this stage connection can be established automatically. You will see an internet connection icon in your system tray. But if not, let’s do it manually. The settings are the same for Windows XP, 7 and 8.1 и 10:
- Right-click on the Internet icon (or lack thereof) in the tray and select “Network and Sharing Center”.
- In the window that will open press “Setting up a new connection”.
- We are interested in connecting to the Internet. choose the first item.
- Next, select “Dial-up”.
- You will see a window with three fields: “Dialing number”, “Username” and “Password”. If you have purchased a modem from an operator, these fields will be already filled in. If you got SIM-card separately from USB-modem, then you have to fill it with data from operator. They are usually specified in your contract. The dialed number may also be called APN. If this data is not in your contract with an operator, then contact their hotline. you will be advised how to fill in these lines. The “Connection name” field you can fill in at your discretion. for example, “Modem MTS” or something like that.
To see the password, check the box “Show entered characters”
Done ! Now you will be able to connect to the Internet using your USB modem.
To use the modem in a comfortable way it is worth to do some additional settings.
Create a shortcut
To get quick access to the modem settings, disconnect and reconnect its Internet in two clicks, you can make a shortcut connection. To do this:
- Go to the “Network and Sharing Center” if you have time to exit it.
- Click on “Network Connections.”.
- Find the created connection in the list. You can identify it by the name you gave it when you created the connection.
- Right-click on it and select “Create shortcut” from the drop-down menu.
Now you have a modem connection icon on your desktop. By right-clicking on it, you can quickly deactivate and activate it if necessary.
You can select the maximum baud rate for the modem. This is useful when the traffic provided by the operator is limited. To do so:
- Right-click on the active connection in the tray or on the shortcut created earlier.
- Click on “Status.
- Click on “Properties” button at the bottom of this window that opens.
- On the first line you will see a drop-down list of “Best Speed (bps)”. Choose a limit that suits you. The maximum limit here is limited by the hardware speed of the modem. Therefore, to remove all limitations, select the last value in the drop-down list.
How to choose, connect and set ADSL modem
To get the maximum data transfer speed you must choose the right modem. A good adapter will provide the best connection to the global network and there will be no unexpected connection disruptions, which is typical for very low-priced models.
About ADSL technology
Wireless adapters used to be undoubtedly the market leader in DSL technology. This modem system uses split bandwidth, which is asymmetrically divided between the incoming and outgoing phone lines.
As a rule, the data volume on the incoming line is higher, so the speed is higher. In turn the outgoing band uses less traffic, which reduces the speed limit. This disadvantage of ADSL devices is very much noticeable if the client uses peer-to-peer networks or video calls.
When choosing a wireless adapter you should pay attention to the following points:
- Standards. ADSL 2, ADSL 2, HDSL. It is better to give preference to ADSL 2 technology, as it provides a high-speed connection up to 24 Mbit/sec.
- Mode of operation. Several modes of ADSL devices are available: ITU G.992.5 Annex A, ITU G.992.5 Annex B, ITU G.992.5 Annex M, ITU G.992.5 Annex L. It is recommended to prefer Annex B and Annex M. They have high uplink and downlink rates.
- Connecting. It is better to give preference to the devices that have the maximum number of ports, including Ethernet. So the user can connect up to 3 devices simultaneously.
Recommended models and manufacturer
At the moment there are several wireless adapter manufacturers: TP-Link, D-Link, Keenetic.
Below we will list the most advanced network models:
- TP-Link TD-W8961N V4. It is a router combined with a modem. Universal adapter works on ADSL 2 protocol. Mode of operation ITU-T G.992.5 Annex B. There are two radio antennas with a propagation coefficient of 5 dBi. Maximum speed on the incoming line is 24 Mbps and on the outgoing stream is 1.216 Mbps.
- D-Link DSL-2740U/R1A ADSL 2. The device has a switch with 4 ports, which allows you to connect not only desktop and mobile computers, but also gaming consoles. Built-in transmitter power corresponds to 17 dBi. ITU G adapter mode.992.5, where the speed of the incoming stream is 24 Mbit/sec, and the speed of the outgoing stream is 1.216 Mbit/sec.
- Zyxel Keenetic DSL. Universal Internet center from Kinetics. You can connect via ADSL and Ethernet. Additionally there is a port for 3G/4G connection. There is a file center and built-in torrent client. Also the device is equipped with 5 dBi antennas. ADSL 2 standard and ITU-T G.992.5 Annex B. The speed on a dedicated incoming line is 24 Mbit/s., and on the outgoing 1.216 Mbps.
Connecting to a PC
- It is necessary to find a splitter, take a telephone cable and connect it directly to the Line port.
- Now you need to take the AUX cable. It is used to connect the phone. So, the AUX is plugged into the PHONE.
- Then you have to connect ADSL modem to MODEM port located on the splitter with the help of patch-cord from the package.
- A second patch cord is used to pair the personal computer and the wireless router. The adapter has a LAN port, and the laptop has an Ethernet connector.
- Power supply must be plugged into the socket and connected to the POWER socket of the device.
Once the power supply is connected to the modem, the process of rebooting the device and installing the additional software will begin. Once the process is complete, you will need to start configuring the Windows operating system.
Share USB Modem Internet Via Wi-Fi Router How to use USB Dongle data via WiFi Router | Som Tips
Configure the OS
Modem setup involves editing the network parameters of the operating system. The step-by-step algorithm is as follows:
- Press WINR key combination on physical keyboard.
- This will open the “Run” utility window.
- In the search line write the request “ncpa.cpl”.
- In the list of network adapters you need to find Ethernet.
- Right-click on the selected item.
- Select the “Properties” option in the context menu.
- Select “IP version 4” component from the list.
- Tick the checkboxes for automatic obtaining of server data.
- Press “Apply” and close the component settings window.
Authorization in web interface
ADSL modem connection is possible only after authentication in web-client. The instructions are as follows:
- First of all it is necessary to turn the device upside down and find the sticker from the manufacturer. There you will find the data for authentication in the web interface.
- Now open the browser and write IP: 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.
- This will open a login and password page. Usually these values are standard: admin and admin (or those found on the sticker).
- Press the “Login” button.
Before you can connect to the modem you will need to edit the ADSL settings:
- In the navigation menu you have to choose WAN DSL.
- Find parameters for VPI and VCI in the contract for home Internet with an operator and write them in the appropriate items.
- Specify “Dynamic” or “Static” in the “Protocol” or “Connection type” field. You should ask only your provider about this point.
- If you use a dynamic IP, you must specify the DNS data and save. If a static connection is used, you need to set a login and password. The information is also reflected in the contract.
- If L2TP protocol is used, it is necessary to correctly configure special parameters of the modem. Specify VPN address in “Provider requirements” item.
Now it is necessary to save settings. If for some reason the connection is impossible, you have to return the parameters to the factory defaults. You can do it through the menu Setting, and then reconfigure the router.
USB modem connection
Connect it to your notebook via USB port. Carefully study the tariff plans, access speeds and coverage area, and then select a provider with the best price/speed/coverage combination.
Instructions on how to connect a 3G modem are easy to understand and include the following steps:
- Turn on your laptop and wait until it has completely booted up.
- Connect your mobile device, move the “ON/OFF” button to the “ON” position.
- If you have an installation CD, insert it into the drive, and autorun. Further, Installation Wizard will show you how to connect USB modem to computer. Agree with terms of license agreement, choose place of program installation, whether you need shortcut on desktop or not. It is also possible that there is no installation CD, it means that everything you need is already downloaded, and the installation will be done automatically.
- If after installation you see a shortcut on the desktop, double-click on it, enter the data provided by the provider (login and password). Launch the browser, you may now use your connected USB modem. If there is no shortcut, make some more steps:
- Go to the device manager, find the new device and run diagnostics.
- Press “Poll” button. If the drivers have been installed successfully, then the diagnostics will be successful.
- Open the “Network and Sharing” section from the Control Panel. Next, start setting up a new connection “Dial-up”.
- Enter the login and password.
Next, let’s break down how you can use your laptop and modem to connect a wired Internet connection.
Rules for choosing a USB-modem for laptop
First of all you need to decide on the type of modem, or rather how it is connected to your laptop. The most common gadgets are connected to a portable computer via USB. They are compact, do not take up much space and can be easily connected to any device with USB-interface, be it a laptop, tablet, PC or router.
The third type is a 3G Wi-Fi router. Small compact gadget with built-in battery that allows to transmit Internet to multiple devices with Wi-Fi. The 3G WI-FI-router uses a regular SIM card and can run on its built-in battery for 3 to 12 hours, depending on the model. This type is good for people with a lot of devices, or those who need to stay on hand.
Therefore, if there is no need to connect to Wi-Fi, it is better to buy a regular 3G USB modem.