Ways to connect your iPhone to your TV
The popularity of televisions without Smart features is dropping extremely quickly. No wonder, since every user wants to watch movies online and access their favorite websites when necessary. However, this does not mean that you need to run to the electronics supermarket and buy expensive “smart” equipment.
First, learn how to connect your iPhone to the TV. Such synchronization will significantly boost the functionality of the most common TV:
- Playback of media content in online mode;
- Video calls over Skype and other similar programs;
- Holding presentations on a big screen.
This is just a short list of features that will open up after connecting the TV device to your cell phone. There are several popular ways to achieve this task. Let’s look at each of them to determine the most effective.
Ways to connect your iPhone to TV
You can transmit information to television by wireless and wired means, using special applications and additional devices and set-top boxes.
Since you can watch videos from your iPhone on your TV using several options. Let’s go into details of each method and define their advantages and disadvantages.
Wireless with DLNA
DLNA technology allows compatible devices to share different content on your home network. If you translate the DLNA acronym, we get “home digital networking alliance”. The connection using this technology can be either wired (ethernet) or wireless (WI-FI).
How to transmit video from iPhone to TV using this technology. To transfer files to TV, let’s consider the wireless method. To do this, we need a WI-FI network, to which both the TV and the iPhone can be connected.
For LG TV-equipment you need to install the Smart Share program, for Samsung. AllShare, for the other models you need to know which software will be suitable for this purpose.
You can download Twonky Beam software for your iPhone. The application is free. It has a number of built-in services that allow you to display your picture on your TV right away. Including a built-in browser. When launching the application, you need to identify the device through which the file will be played.
There are other applications, such as iMediaShare, TV Assist, Belkin MediaPlay. The principle of their work is similar.
If you plan to often use the data transfer to TV, it is better to download a paid program once to ensure full functionality and absence of ads. When launching the application you need to select a TV from the list and you can start the content transfer.
If your TV set has no WI-FI or is not compatible with iPhone apps, you can use a transmitter which connects to your TV set via HDMI input and receives the signal from your phone over the wireless network.
You can install the AirBEAM TV app on your TV and transfer data by enabling the AirPlay function on your iPhone. But this software doesn’t fit all TVs, so you’ll need to use the trial version first (since the app is paid) to check compatibility with your TV.
For example, let’s look at how to use the connection option for a Samsung TV.
- Turn on the TV and connect to your home WI-FI network.
- Start AirPlay on the iPhone and select the TV from the received list of devices.
- Now the phone screen will be duplicated on the TV.
- Except in rare cases, no additional hardware is required;
- You need special applications to connect both devices;
- Data transfer speed may not be too high due to limited bandwidth (this applies to wireless connection);
- The emergence of new video formats may not be readable on the TV.
Another option is to use Wi-Fi Direct technology. In this case, the transmission will go directly from one device to another without using a router.
In order to use Wi-Fi Direct technology, both your TV and mobile device need to support it
- Find “Wireless Networks and Connections”- “Wi-Fi Direct” menu on your iPhone. “Activate.”
- Find “Network”. “Wi-Fi Direct” on your TV;
- Choose your iPhone from the list and send a connection request.
HDMI, or composite jack
Any modern TV has one or more HDMI ports. This technology allows you to transmit high-quality video data at high speed.
You can display images from your iPhone by connecting a cable directly between your phone and the HDMI port on your TV. It is even possible to show videos in high quality without delays. And it’s available for all Smart TVs and regular TVs with the appropriate connector regardless of the model: LG, Samsung, Sony, etc.д.
You will not need to install any additional software, but connect the Apple Lightning port (or for earlier models. 30-pin) and HDMI/VGA port. But, accordingly, you need to buy an Apple AV-cable and Lightning Digital AV-adapter.
- The devices are turned off;
- Connect the cable to the HDMI port on the TV, and the other to the AV adapter;
- We connect the adapter to the iPhone;
- Now you need to turn on both devices;
- After turning on the desired connection should appear automatically.
If the automatic installation did not happen, then manually do so. Activate the HDMI transmission in the settings of the iPhone, and select the HDMI signal as source on the TV (if there are several ports)
The disadvantages are that you need a special wire and adapter to connect, but the market offers many different options. Yes, and the presence of a wire reduces the comfort of using this way.
If there is no way to connect to HDMI, you can use the composite jack (otherwise known as “tulip”) and the VGA Lightning adapter from Apple. This option is suitable if the TV has an analog input.
- Connect the adapter to the iPhone.
- Connect the cable to the TV (each plug must be plugged into the appropriate jack). In a VGA cable, the audio input is connected separately.
- Once the devices are connected, the settings should be loaded automatically. If this does not happen, you will need to make manual adjustments.
- Turn on the TV in the required input signal. In the TV settings iPhone is selected as a signal source.
- Now you can turn on video on your phone. Only programs that play media content will be displayed on earlier iPhone models, and on later models the screen will be duplicated.
Composite and 30-pin connectors do not support Full HD data transfer
This method is only suitable for viewing photos and pictures as well as videos stored in the “Files” menu on your phone. In this case, the phone will act as a storage drive and there will be no screen duplication. To connect, just connect the cable from the iPhone to the Lightning connector of the phone and to the USB port on the TV.
Before connecting the device, it is better to disconnect.
How to Use Apply AirPlay on LG TV
How can you output video from the iPhone in this case and whether you can watch movies?
It’s possible to perform Jailbreak, a process that allows you to access the file system of the “operating system”. In fact, it’s a firmware hack. You can download such applications from unofficial stores.
Jailbreaking greatly extends the functionality of the iPhone, but the device with these plug-ins is not under warranty and can not upgrade to a newer version.
Using an Apple TV set-top box
Apple TV is a device for streaming data to the TV screen from the Internet services, iTunes, any Apple devices: players, computers, smartphones and tablets.
Apple TV provides access to all sorts of video and audio resources, and if you do not have a Smart TV, it will give him the functionality of the latter.
This set-top box is a small device that streams data, which means it does not store. Can play HD and Full HD without delays and with multi-channel sound.
Connects the Apple TV to the TV via HDMI or analog connector.
AirPlay is a technology developed by Apple to wirelessly stream media content between devices that are compatible with the technology.
After connecting the Apple TV set-top box, you need to connect all devices to the WI-FI network and turn on the AirPlay option on the iPhone.
You can turn on the “Screen Repeat” function on your iPhone to display your phone screen on the TV.
But if you don’t have an Apple TV set-top box and don’t want to buy one (and it costs a lot), then the question arises whether you can use AirPlay without an Apple TV device.
There are programs (currently the best are AirServer and Reflector) that can replace Apple TV. And dr.A fone for iOS, which, among other functions, has the ability to replicate the screen of a mobile device on the monitor.
But in order to play content on a TV without Apple TV, you need to look for alternative ways. In particular, by installing the iMediaShare application, but this already refers to DLNA technology. Although the app could well replace the purchase of an Apple set-top box.
In addition, there are Apple TV analogs on the market, such as the adapter BSPW-100U (universal wireless dongle). It supports AirPlay, but you can stream through it not only from the iPhone, but also from devices with other operating systems.
Through the Chromecast media player
This device is manufactured by Google. It is intended for streaming media content, but, unlike the Apple TV set-top box, does not have the same set of functions. Chromecast is a small gadget, similar to a flash drive, which is inserted into the HDMI-connector, and from mobile devices, it transmits via WI-FI.
To transfer pictures or to watch something from your iPhone, do the following
- Download the Google Home app on your phone (iOS 9 is compatible with this version of the operating system).1) or Chromecast.
- You must have a Google account, an HDMI connector in your TV, and a secure WI-FI network at home.
- In the downloaded on your phone software you need to connect to Chromecast option and WI-FI network.
It is worth noting that not all Internet resources will be available this way. Compatible, for example, are Play Movies and Music, YouTube.
In this case, the screen is not duplicated, but simply the phone sends requests, what and how to search, and the content is downloaded from the Internet.
Photo Cast is good at transferring pictures, photos and videos from the gallery to TV, but you need a paid version for Full HD quality.
But in general there are still many drawbacks: the connection can be interrupted or the data transfer with a delay. And the biggest disadvantage is that there are too few resources from which to view content.
Broadcasting from your phone can be done in automatic and manual mode.
In the first case, this is done as follows:
- To connect the TV device and phone to one network WI-FI;
- Open the YouTube app on the TV;
- Synchronization should be done automatically;
- To start streaming, you need to select “Screen”-“Broadcast” in the phone settings;
- From the list, you must select the device to which the transmission will be made.
If the transfer did not work, then you can check the settings of the Internet connection or try to connect manually:
- You need to launch the YouTube application on the TV and go to “Settings”;
- Find the item “Connect TV to phone;
- On the page, check the “Manual” box;
- Open the Yutub app on your iPhone and also go to “Settings”;
- Select “View on TV” and enter the code that appears on the TV screen;
- The phone display should then be mirrored on the TV.
You can also go from your phone to the link: https://www.YouTube.com/TV.
And the connection is done in the same way as in the app.
How to duplicate your phone screen to your LG TV?
Open the Smart TV menu on your TV and launch the “Screen Share” app.
A window will open with the name of the TV that will appear on your phone in the Miracast (Wireless Display) settings.
TV is already available to search and connect. On your phone, or on your tablet, you need to open your wireless display connection settings and select your TV there. The name and location of the Miracast settings may vary depending on the phone manufacturer and Android version.
Where to look for screen broadcast settings on Android devices:
- In the display settings. “Display”. “Broadcast.”.
- Under “Connectivity and sharing.”. “Miracast” (“Broadcast”).
- There may be a “Broadcast” button, “Wireless Projection” button, “Transfer Screen” button, “Mirror Share” button in the quick access curtain.
- If you want to duplicate the screen of your Samsung phone to your LG TV, you need to open the Smart View feature on your phone. An icon for quick access is in the notification bar.
After that our TV should appear in phone options. Just select it from the list.
You may need to confirm the connection on your TV. Or enter a code that will be displayed on the TV screen. Once connected, the picture and sound from the phone will be broadcast to the LG TV screen.
If your phone doesn’t have this feature, try installing one of the following apps from Google Play:
You can connect your iPhone to LG Smart TV using a third party app. The free TV Assist app allows you to connect your iPhone to LG Smart TV and display any content from your iPhone on the TV.
To do this, open “System Preferences” and select “Displays”. At the bottom, check the “Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available “. The AirPlay icon will now appear on the menu bar. After clicking on the AirPlay icon, select the Apple TV on which you want to display your Mac screen.
iPhone and iPad screen replays to the TV via the MiraScreen adapter
Mobile devices and Apple computers do not support Miracast. They have their own technology, AirPlay. TVs don’t have AirPlay technology built in at the moment (I’ve read that perhaps new TVs from some manufacturers will have it). But the Chinese have somehow managed to implement AirPlay support in these MiraScreen and similar adapters.
So our adapter is connected, turned on and set up. It must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network as our iPhone, or other device from which we will do screen replays. If the adapter is not connected to the router, or there is no router, it is necessary to connect our iOS or Mac OS device directly to the Wi-Fi network of the adapter. The network name (SSID) and password (PSK) are shown on the TV screen (see “Network Name (SSID)” on page 31). photo below).
The adapter should be switched to AirPlay mode (where the Apple icon is). How to connect, configure and switch the mode I showed above.
On the iPhone or iPad, open the control center and select “Screen Replay. If everything is connected correctly, our MiraScreen set-top box should show up in the list of available devices. Just select it.
After a few seconds, the iPhone or iPad screen will be mirrored to the TV screen.
It also works in landscape mode.
You can also, for example, open a photo or video on your iPhone, click on the “Share” button and select “AirPlay” there. Once you’ve selected your adapter, the photos and videos can be viewed on your TV screen.
To stop the broadcast, just click on “Stop Repeat Screen” in the menu.
What will connect your iPhone to the TV
Why even bother trying to configure the connection of a smartphone to the TV? Primarily, the synchronization will be interesting to users who have the most common TVs, not Smart TV. The main advantages of connection:
- Watching movies, TV shows, sports broadcasts online on the big screen;
- All kinds of presentations, forums;
- playing video and photos from the gallery of your cell phone;
- listening to audio tracks;
- Communication via Skype and other messengers on the big screen.
As you can see, there are a lot of advantages. To duplicate the iPhone screen on the TV, you must select the appropriate type of connection, not all interfaces provide this possibility. This point must be taken into account.
Smart TV owners connect their iPhone to play files stored on the phone and then view them in high resolution. In other words, this synchronization allows you to use your smartphone as a flash drive. This is also very convenient and practical.
How to connect iPhone to LG TV?
In recent years, mobile technology is developing at a fairly rapid pace. Many gadgets have not only become affordable, but also boast a lot of technical features. Of course, the leader of sales is the company Apple, which offers its customers smart phones. One of the advantages of the American company’s devices is the ability to easily and quickly synchronize with other devices. For example, the user can easily set up a connection between the phone and a set-top box or TV. Many people wonder if they can connect their iPhone to a TV, such as the popular LG brand?
How to turn on the screen mirroring on a Samsung TV?
How to set the screen mirroring on Samsung TVs 2018
- Download the app SmartThings
- Open screen sharing
- Connect your phone and TV to the same network
- Add your Samsung TV and allow sharing
- Select Smart View to share content
- Use your phone as a remote control.
You may also need to reset your network settings by turning the TV, router, and smartphone off and on again. Since screen mirroring depends on Wi-Fi, sometimes restarting it can solve connectivity problems.
On your Apple TV, go to “Settings” “AirPlay” and “HomeKit.
If you see the password and do not use AirPlay
- Anyone: Anyone can watch and stream content to your Apple TV.
- Anyone on the same network: Anyone connected to your home Wi-Fi network can stream content to your Apple TV.