Where to plug in the headphone plug
After identifying the audio jack, insert the plug into the end of the headphone cable inside the computer. Once this is done, Windows should automatically detect the headphones and route the sound to them. In addition, depending on the audio chip the PC is equipped with, a message may appear on the bottom right of the desktop indicating that the operation was successful.
Once the connection is established, if you need to adjust the volume of the headphones, click on the speaker symbol located in the lower right corner of the taskbar (next to the system clock) and move to the right or left. Depending on whether you want to increase or decrease the sound level, the cursor on the appropriate adjustment bar is attached to the field that appears.
Still using this checkbox, you can quickly change the audio device from which the sound is played, if necessary. To do this, click on the arrow in the upper right corner, select the device of interest in the menu that appears, then click on “Default” and “OK” to confirm the changes.
How to connect Airpods to your computer and laptop on Windows?
Apple has made really cool and simple Airpods headphones, which can be connected to other Apple devices without any problems at all, in a few seconds. If you have these headphones, you have probably already seen how easy they are to connect to the same iPhone. The newest on the market are the Airpods 2 and Airpods Pro. But today I want to tell you not about the headphones themselves, but how to connect them to a computer, or a laptop that runs on Windows 10, Windows 8, or Windows 7. Also, let’s see if you can use these headphones as a headset.
The process of connecting the Airpods to Windows is not complicated, but not as easy as connecting them to iOS and Mac OS devices. I sometimes use my Airpods with a Windows 10 laptop. They connect via Bluetooth, of course. So if you don’t have a laptop (where Bluetooth is usually already built in). And a desktop computer, you’ll need a Bluetooth adapter to connect the wireless headphones from Apple.
If your laptop or computer does not have Bluetooth, or if it does not work, you will not be able to connect the Airpods. So:
- In the case of a laptop, where the Bluetooth module is usually built in, you just need to install the drivers. This shouldn’t be a problem with Windows 10, as the drivers are usually installed automatically. It doesn’t matter what kind of Windows. Check to see if there is a bluetooth icon in the system tray. If so, you are good to connect your AirPods. You can also look to see if there is a corresponding module in the Device Manager. If Bluetooth is not available anywhere, try installing the drivers. Download them from the laptop manufacturer’s website for your model. information in the article how to enable and configure Bluetooth on your Windows 10 laptop and how to enable Bluetooth on your laptop (there is also information on Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows 7).
- For a PC, you will most likely need to select and purchase a Bluetooth adapter. Next, you will need to install and configure it: Setting up Bluetooth on your computer.
If your computer has Bluetooth (tray icon, section in settings, etc. д.). then you can move on to connecting the headphones.
Possible problems and solutions
The problems of the playback device are divided into mechanical and system. The first ones are caused by physical damage such as frayed wire, cut plug, dust or debris in the jack, etc.д. Such problems are solved by troubleshooting, but you need to act carefully so as not to aggravate the situation. It is better to trust professionals to fix complicated problems or replace the device completely.
If your headset is plugged in correctly and in all the right jacks, the sound is turned on, but your headphones or microphone still do not work, then it is a system problem. In Windows 8 and above, problems with external gadgets can occur due to driver mismatches after installing updates. Reinstalling the driver and rebooting the computer solves the problem.
Sometimes it happens that the headset plays music from the computer memory, but does not work on the Internet, for example, when using a conference call your interlocutors can not hear you. The problem is that the browser has denied access to the recording devices. Go to your browser control panel, find the “Site Settings” section and there you can see the current permissions for each resource (the use of microphone must be enabled).
Set up the wireless headphones
Let’s look at how to set up wireless headphones by connecting the appropriate receiver, which they are equipped with, to the PC.
How to Setup Headphones and a Microphone in Windows 10 & 11
To do this, first insert the headphone battery into the dedicated speaker (usually left), connect the charging base/transmitter to a power source using the included cable and put the headphones on the latter. To start the first charging cycle.
When charging is complete, set the headphones and transmitter to the same channel, and turn on the headset by pressing the appropriate button.
Once that’s done, connect the transmitter to your computer via the 3.5mm jack, and you can finally start using it in Windows 10 in much the same way as you can with wired headphones.
Setting up and checking the microphone on wireless headphones
The first thing to do is to connect the wireless headphones to the computer. You probably already have them connected. If not, see the instructions: how to connect Bluetooth headphones to a computer or laptop on Windows 10. And a separate instruction on how to connect Airpods.
Next, we need to check the status of the headphones. It should say “Connected voice, music” next to them (can only be “Connected voice”). This means that the headphones can be used as a Bluetooth headset.
Then we will open audio settings and go to “Sound Control Panel”.
A window will open in which you need to click on the “Record” tab. Our microphone (headphones) must be there and it must be enabled. Selected as the default device (by right-clicking on it).
To check if the microphone works or not, you need to start saying something, or tapping on the headphones, and at this point look at the scale on the right. It should move.
The same check can be done in the settings of almost any application that uses a microphone. In Skype, for example.
The microphone that appeared after you connected the wireless headphones is displayed in the system and works. The microphone volume bar moves when talking. Airpods 2 works great as a Bluetooth headset in Windows 10.
Below we are going to discuss possible problems and their solutions.
Setting up your headphones on your Windows 10 computer
The new operating system from Microsoft is good. Compared to previous versions, Windows 10 is faster and more stable. You get used to a good thing quickly, so new problems with this OS are painfully. One of such troubles is no sound in headphones after installing or updating an operating system. Usually the reason lies in damaged or incompatible drivers, so do not blame the developers of the new operating system. Let’s look at how to set up headphones on your Windows 10 computer and get music back into your headset speakers.
First you should check if the device itself is working properly and physically connected to the computer:
- check the headphones for integrity: there should not be any damage to the cable or speakers;
- a possible reason is the lack of input/output contact on the computer, check their functionality with other devices;
- often the problem is in the connection interfaces: “10” does not support devices with AC’97 connection.
If the physical characteristics of the device and the computer are fine, then proceed to the following ways to configure headphones in Windows 10.
The computer can’t see the headphones? Maybe it is because of viruses. They can cause the failure of the connected equipment. It is very common.
- Close all active programs.
- Open any antivirus.
- Select all partitions on the hard drive and perform a deep scan.
- Treat potentially dangerous objects.
- Put untreated files into “Quarantine” and delete potential threats for PC.
- Reboot your computer.
Everything should now be working. Users are advised to reinstall the drivers before attempting to reconnect the headset.
The cause of the lack of sound in headphones can be a number of factors, covering all of which is quite difficult. However, the problem can be categorized by dividing it into:
- Technical failures related directly to sound emitters (headphones, sound card, connectors and other peripherals);
- Software problems depending on the status of the virtual audio devices (including appropriate software settings, drivers, codecs, etc.). п.).
And only starting from this we can try to solve the problem with the particular hardware.
No sound in headphones can be caused by a variety of reasons
Checking for mechanical damage
Depending on the type of the problem causing the sound loss, the sequence of actions for its solution is determined. First carefully examine the headset and the connectors for its connection to the computer. Try the speakers or other headset. If there is no sound in them too, the problem may be with the sound card. It can be solved by going to the service center, where they usually diagnose it:
- mechanical breakdowns,
- Faulty radio components,
- Bad contact (if the card is not integrated),
- The problems with the output jacks.
However with careful handling of PC system unit or notebook this does not happen too often. often the headphones themselves are broken. If the headset does not work when connected to known good equipment, check them. The most common headphone breakdowns:
If the last point means almost a failure of the headset (burst diaphragm or burned out coil of the microspeaker is not repairable, and replacement speakers are difficult because of the lack or costliness of similar elements), then other faults can be managed, sometimes even by your own efforts. For this:
- Check the continuity of the headphone wires. If you have a tester, test them against the common contact located at the base of the plug (resistance should be 16. 36 ohms). Pay special attention when visually inspecting the problem areas, these are where the cable breaks incredibly often. Experts say that in 70-80% of cases the cable is broken near the plug
- If the wire is broken near the plug, you will need a collapsible mini-jack. Cut the cable about 3 to 5 cm from the native connector, strip and solder the wires to the collapsible plug. Usually the green (sometimes blue) wire goes to a common contact; the red and black (white) wire should be soldered into each channel. The 3.5 mm or 1/8-inch mini-jack is used in smartphones, players, PC audio cards
Because of the huge number of models and types of headsets, it is very difficult to describe the process of cable replacement in one article. But you can find detailed instructions on how to fully replace the cable of collapsible headphones on the Internet at the corresponding forums.
Diagnostics and automatic troubleshooting
If the headphones and the card are fine, but there is still no sound, you should check the source at the software level, and first of all:
Sometimes you do not need to dig into the sound card settings. If you see a speaker icon in the system tray with a warning symbol, then something is wrong. By the way, the same symbol is observed when the wire is broken or there is no connection, because the PC simply does not detect the headset.
In Windows 10, this symbol means there is a problem with the sound
The next steps of the user, as a rule, follow the following instructions:
- Left click on the speaker icon in the tray. The system will run an automatic problem detection tool. System scans and finds problems automatically
- In the next step, Windows 10 will prompt you to select which source problems you want to detect and fix. Choose “Headphones”, press “Next”. The headphone jack on your system box is on the front
- The automatic program will run for a few seconds (sometimes minutes). Do not turn off or press anything at this time. Scanning of hardware configuration and detection of problems can be canceled at any time
- Windows 10 for some reason considers (in this case) low volume of the audio device as a problem. Open the mixer. You can skip this point
- Check the sound mixer levels, close this window and click “Next”. The warning symbol on the speaker icon means that the channel is muted
- After a few more seconds, the diagnostic completes. Exit the diagnostic tool and reboot the device. In the additional information you can find detailed information about the detected and corrected errors
Checking audio playback device settings
Lack of sound in headphones can also be caused by incorrect settings of your computer‘s sound card. For example, another playback device is selected by default or the volume is simply turned off. To check and adjust the settings:
- Right-click on the speaker icon. Click on “Playback Devices”. The last item launches the same automatic tool for solving the audio hardware malfunction
- Double-click on “Headphones. The sound monitoring bar is located on the right side of the tab
- In the Properties window, click the Levels tab. Adjust the volume and balance between the channels if necessary. Too loud volume can be harmful for hearing
- Go to “Enhancements. The Bass Boost (bass boost) may have a significant effect on the sound volume; you can set it by clicking on the Setting button. You can disable the effects completely by checking the “Disable all Enhancements” box. Remember to press “Apply” after setting, otherwise the changes will not be saved
- In the “Advanced” tab, in the “Mono” area, all checkboxes must be checked. The bit depth and sampling rate are 16 bits, 44100 Hz. Click on “Check” button for audio monitoring
- Open the “Communications” tab and uncheck the “Disable all other sounds” box, as this feature can also affect sound playback. The last option is recommended if you do not use the device for communication or other voice functions
In recent versions of Windows 10, some audio options are also managed through “Settings”, but in my opinion, the method described above is simpler and gives access to all settings at once.
Install and update drivers
Reinstalling or updating the drivers of a sound device, especially in the case of a rare hardware product (like Intel SST Audio found in tablets) can be quite a challenge, even for a trained user. In any case, first try to install the driver automatically. The sequence of actions is as follows:
- Open “Device Manager” by right-clicking on “Start” and selecting the appropriate item from the list. Very useful menu, giving quick access to many options
- In the “Device Manager” expand “Audio, video and gaming devices”. Right-click on the device name and select “Update drivers”. If you have several devices, update the drivers for each of them
- Choose “Automatically search for driver updates”. Windows 10 will autodetect the software product on your computer or network (the internet must be turned on), download and install the driver. Once the process is finished you need to reboot the computer. The driver autodetect works unless you have disabled it in the device installer
If you could not update the drivers automatically, you must download them from the Internet and install them manually. The algorithm of the procedure is as follows:
- Right-click on the audio device in “Device Manager. Click on the “Details” tab in the “Properties” window. Copy the device name in the device description. If you have several values, you will need to look for drivers for each one separately
- Execute CtrlC (paste) and type “Download drivers”. Choose, if possible, the official source for download. When downloading drivers from unreliable sources you can easily “catch” a virus
- Download the latest driver. Install the program by running the exe file. Downloading via torrent will be much faster
Read more about installing drivers for audio devices in the “10” in an article about restoring sound after updating Windows 10.
You can also try rolling back the drivers.
Roll back your system
The sound in the headphones can disappear after a global update “ten”. This problem is faced by many users. If you can not return the audio by the methods listed in the article (or by some other options), it remains to roll back the system to a previous version as follows:
- In “Start” open “Settings” (the gear in the lower left corner). “Options” can also be in the list of applications
- In the Windows settings window, select “Update and security”. The main window of Windows 10 settings
- On the left side, select “Restore” and then “Back to a previous version of Windows 10″. You can only roll back the system to a previous version within 10 days after the upgrade
- A succession of windows will now follow, asking you to write down why you are going back, check for updates, etc. д. Read the information carefully and click “Next”. After the “Restore previous version of Windows 10″ window appears, the system will reboot several times and return to its original state. The last screen is the point of no return