How to install and connect a car TV with your own hands
Few people will remember the days when only the rich could afford a TV. Today such “miracle” of technology is an indispensable element of every home, and in some homes there is a unit in almost every room. During its technological development TVs have come a long way from large devices to compact, flat screens of different sizes, virtually does not take up space in the house, perfectly fit into any décor. Watching TV shows and favorite movies is a great way for many people to pass the time, distract themselves from everyday problems. For busy people with vehicles that are in constant motion, an excellent alternative to watching TV at home is to install a TV in the car. This variant does not belong to democratic solutions, however it already has its adherents among car owners. This article will tell you how to install a portable TV in the car, focusing on the most convenient and practical places to mount it.
ᐅ TV bracket mounting. TV bracket mounting service prices
If you need quality installation of the bracket, use the services of experienced professionals. With YouDo you can order the services of private craftsmen and crews, ready at a low price to make professional installation brackets.
Stages of installation work
Make a master call by filling out the order form on YouDo. For quality and prompt service, specify the reason for which you turned to the masters, the approximate cost and the time when it is convenient to receive a specialist. Ready to cooperate masters will submit their offers.
The selected performer YouDo will come to you at the appointed time and carry out the installation of brackets of different types:
Mounting the bracket follows a certain scheme. Performing installation work, masters:
- Dismantle the old awning
- carry out the marking of the wall of the room
- carefully drill a hole for the mounting bracket
- Fix the awning
Install a swivel bracket will be made by masters YouDo professionally. Our experts guarantee that the wall module can withstand heavy loads. You can adjust the screen, change the angle vertically and horizontally, so you can watch TV comfortably.
How much are the services of a master on YouDo?
Our performers very quickly will hang a TV in your apartment. The cost of mounting a roof is formed depending on the complexity of the work. In addition, you should consider:
- terms of order
- the mechanism of brackets functioning
- The use of additional fastening elements. clamps, self-tapping screws, and special equipment
- The need to dismantle the old module
- for materials
You can find out how much it costs to install any brackets on YouDo. In the price list are indicative prices. The exact cost of installing the brackets will be called by the master after assessing the complexity of the work.
Why order the service from YouDo experts?
Turning to our performers, you can be assured of high quality service. In addition, by ordering the departure of the master on YouDo, you get:
- The work is performed within a specified time
- Installation are lower than those of competitors
- Free advice on all matters of interest
- Using reliable mounting hardware
If you need to install the bracket, the best option would be to contact the artists of Yudu, who will perform the order quickly and efficiently.
How to hang a TV on the wall with a bracket
A modern LCD TV is an ergonomic and slim device. It can not only be put on the nightstand, but also hung on the wall. To do this, it is best to use the bracket. a special mount for monitors. So they won’t get in the way or take up unnecessary space. However, it is not so easy to choose the right product, to find a place for it, to attach it so that it holds well and does not fall with the expensive screen. Many people call in specialist installers to do this. Read how to hang the TV on the wall with a bracket, and you can do it yourself. You don’t have to find a handyman and pay him money.
Many people hang their TVs on the wall for convenience
These units should be accompanied by a manual, which spells out in detail where to attach each element. If you decide to hang your TV yourself, you’ll need tools and a partner to help you hold it in place while you screw it in.
How to choose a bracket?
To begin with, you need to know how to choose a bracket for the TV on the wall. In most cases these products are universal. They have plenty of holes to mount any LCD screen. However, the purchase of such a unit should be approached wisely.
The first thing you should pay attention to is the weight that the construction can withstand. If you have a heavy TV, it should be mounted on a strong frame and a solid wall. These products look impressive and are quite expensive. But it’s dangerous to mount a big screen on an unsuitable base. It can fall down.
Maximum weight and diagonal of the monitor should be specified in the documentation that comes with the bracket. Also this information is on the box of the product. It’s better to study carefully before buying. If it says there that the TV can weigh a maximum of 40 kilograms, it means that you can not install a monitor of 70 kilograms. The design will not hold.
When it comes time to choose a frame, look at what type of mounts are used in your TV. The FPMI (Flat Display Mounting Interface) standard is now common everywhere. It dictates a certain distance between the holes. For example with big monitors it is 20 centimeters, with the smaller ones 10 centimeters. Also, different models of screws are used, on which you will have to mount the TV.
Any bracket is multifunctional and supports different types of displays. But before buying it you should study monitor’s documentation, there should be information about the mount type. If you don’t have this data saved, just measure the distances between the holes to see in advance if they will match the holes on the frame, and if you can hang the TV on it.
These units come in a variety of models. In some, the screen can be rotated, in others it doesn’t move. To figure out how to pick a TV bracket for the wall, decide which product you’ll be more comfortable using.
- Fixed. The display is where you screw it on. You can’t rotate it or position it so you can see the picture better. You’ll have to watch movies while sitting in one place. This is the cheapest version of mounts.
- Tilt-Swivel. Ideal if you want to hang your television upstairs. The monitor can be tilted slightly toward the intended viewers. And you don’t have to raise your head too much.
- Tilt&Turn. Includes a variety of types of mounts. They have one thing in common: a screen with this bracket can be rotated as you like. Some models have a 30-degree swivel, others have a 90-degree swivel. There are even versions in which the display rotates freely about its axis. With this frame it will be easy to find the perfect place for your TV. After all, you can enjoy the cinematography from any corner of the room. All you have to do is turn the screen towards you.
- Ceiling-mounted. Fixed to the ceiling.
- There are specific types of mounts. For example, for non-standard monitors. Or with shelves for other equipment.
How to choose the right place for the bracket and the TV?
You shouldn’t hang your TV on the first wall that comes up. If it is made of unreliable or unstable material, do not mount heavy objects on it.
It’s easy to choose the right spot for your display. Several factors have to be considered:
- The monitor should be at eye level. You do not need to exactly match the distance. Simply sit where you want to watch TV and imagine you have a screen in front of you. Estimate whether it is comfortable for you, whether you have to tilt your head, strain your neck muscles.
- Do not allow the monitor to rest directly against the wall. Leave a gap between them.
- It is desirable to hang the display close to the outlet. To make it easier to turn it on.
- At the same time in the place where you will drill, there should not be any wiring. If you don’t know where it goes, use a metal detector or something similar. In this case it is better not to risk.
- And, of course, the device should be seamlessly fit into the interior, not to disturb the composition, not to rest against the edges of cabinets, nightstands or windows. Do not shade any elements of the decor. It is desirable that the design of the room initially provided the presence of TV.
How to install the bracket?
Together with the unit should be supplied with a set of necessary parts, documentation with information about the characteristics and some tools (the latter. not necessarily). Also there is always a manual. It describes how to assemble the frame, which screw to put where, which side to hang the monitor from. Specific instructions vary by model and manufacturer.
Before you mount the TV bracket on the wall, check that there are no wires. And look at the material you have to work with. It depends on it, what self-tapping screws to choose.
- Concrete or brick is a great option. At the same time they should not crumble or fall apart. Otherwise, the mounting screws will just fall out with the bracket. Screws that come with the construction will be suitable for mounting. If they are not there, take dowels for concrete and brick with a length of 50 millimeters.
- You have to be a little more careful with the wooden base. Make sure that it will support the weight of the monitor with the frame. Use specialized self-tapping screws (from 30 mm) for working with wood.
- Gypsum board is not a very secure material. It is not recommended to mount massive units on it. If you still decide to try, use butterfly dowels. They “unfasten” at the end when they are fully screwed in. You can “strengthen” the sheets of drywall by connecting them with plywood. Or you can attach the construction directly to the metal profile.
- Gypsolite. Fix the frame should be on bolts (6-8 mm) with nuts. Pre-moisten the holes for them with PVA glue. Drill through the wall. Put washers under the nuts. Fasten the bracket after the glue dries.
Installing and connecting an auto TV in the car
For many people a TV set in the car is a luxury item. But nowadays such devices have become much more common. Especially owners who have children will really appreciate technological innovations. If you have bought a car without monitors and TV tuner, here is some information on how to properly install an in-car TV.
Before you begin
Before to connect the auto TV, you should disconnect the negative terminal of the car battery. Television mechanisms include an electrical system, so be sure to observe safety precautions.
Find the place where you want to install monitors and TV tuner. Make sure you have a suitable power supply unit in your car.
There are several types of monitors available for installation in cars. The most common locations are ceilings, headrests, and sun visors. You need a specific type of video monitor for each particular mounting location.
What you will need
- permanent marker;
- flathead screwdriver;
- insulation tape;
- Phillips screwdriver;
Installing monitor into headrests
- Before you hook up your TV in your car, make sure that the display will fit into the headrest of your vehicle. Position the unit evenly to draw the location of the future hole. Seven inch screen should fit the headrest of any vehicle.
- Unscrew the headrest from the car seat and remove the upholstery.
Use a permanent marker to trace the outline on the foam plastic to the TV size.
The video shows you how to install monitors in headrests:
Installing monitor in the ceiling
- Before installing TV set into the car make sure that there is a metal sheet at the place where it is installed.
- Expand upholstery on the ceiling. To remove glue from the upholstery you may need a solvent. Insert plywood or metal sheet between roof and upholstery, glue it to the upholstery.
Here’s a video showing installation of the monitor into the ceiling:
Install a tuner before installing the car TV. Installing it will allow you and your passengers to watch local broadcasts. You can hide it anywhere in your car and control it with an infrared remote control.
- Find out which TV tuners are compatible with your video system.
- Open the hood of your car and use a wrench to disconnect the battery cable from the battery. Check your car’s repair manual for the right tool.
Choose a location where it will be accessible from the remote. Follow the manufacturer’s installation instructions.
Turn on your video system and use the remote control to turn on the TV tuner. If you installed the unit correctly, you will watch local TV channels in good quality.
The video shows the installation and testing of the tuner:
Tips and Warnings
When looking for the unit, make sure the I/O will fit in the car’s cigarette lighter.
Make sure that the voltage of the electricity used in the AC adapter is the right value. If your car adapter can’t handle the voltage the TV draws, your TV won’t work properly.
Measure the size of the TV in advance so you know where you can place them in the car.
Find a stable place to place the tuner, so that it does not move while traveling.
The question of how to connect an auto TV can be solved by yourself. At first glance it may seem that it is quite difficult to do, but by breaking down the process into small steps, you will definitely succeed. You do not need any special tools or high-tech equipment. Just buy a monitor and a TV tuner, get the instructions and get to work. Good luck!
How to install a digital TV antenna
How to watch your favorite channels in excellent quality and without spending money on satellite or cable TV? It is enough to install the UHF antenna and digital DVB-T2 set-top box and you can forget about interference, typical for analogue broadcasting forever!
In most developed countries digital is the basic format for television broadcasting. In Russia it was decided to finally get rid of “capricious” analog signal reception only in 2019. Standard package when installing an antenna includes 20 channels. However, in the near future this list is to be expanded.
If subscribers have to pay monthly for habitual cable or satellite TV, then after installing a digital antenna no other costs are required. Just order the antenna and set-top box with the necessary additional equipment, and the set will pay for itself in a year!
In this review we will describe the main features of the new broadcast format, as well as give detailed instructions on how to install and configure the antenna used to receive terrestrial digital TV. You don’t need any supernatural efforts or special tools to connect it yourself. Saving on a call to the master will be a nice help to the family budget.
Important features of digital TV
Analogue over-the-air broadcasting has always been synonymous with poor picture quality and endless interference. The expansion of the big-screen television segment has made picture quality an absolute necessity. Exactly for the solution of this problem the format of digital television reception was developed.
Formerly, to watch your favorite movies and TV shows in more or less acceptable quality, you had to order a satellite “dish,” spend money for the installation and regular fees. Now you only need an inexpensive set-top box and a digital TV antenna. And if we consider that most modern TVs already support DVB-T2 format, one inexpensive decimeter antenna is enough.
The main advantages of digital broadcasting:
- Improved quality of picture transmission. Especially, it is noticeable on large screens. “Picture is perfectly clear, detailed and devoid of even the slightest hint of interference.
- No distortion even with a weak signal. Forget about the “noise” typical of analog TV! Modern “digital” will give the same quality image both in a big city and in a remote rural area.
- Free to use. No subscription fees and costs for setting up a digital antenna. Everything is easy to connect yourself by following simple instructions.
- 20 stable basic channels on the air (for analog television, a relatively good quality can be achieved only with 3-4 main channels). In the foreseeable future there will be an expansion of the package of channels. By 2019 more than 30 telechannels are broadcasted in Moscow region in DVB-T2 standard
- Minimum cost of equipment. At least 10 times cheaper than any satellite TV set!
- Supports most TV sets of the latest model years. If your equipment is relatively new, you won’t need a receiver! It’s enough to know how to set up a digital TV antenna.
- It’s possible to watch “digital” not only in the city, but also at a summer house far away from the nearest TV towers.
- Maximum ease and speed of set-up, which can be managed even by a person who is not familiar with modern technology!
Features of digital TV in Russia
In terms of television technology development Russia left behind most European countries. In developed countries the DVB-T2 format has long been the basic format, while analog broadcasting has ceased to exist. In Russia, this need has only recently arisen, but only in 2019 will there be a complete switchover from analog to digital TV.
Now a few words about the available packages of channels or as they are officially called multiplexes. Today, there are two packages, each with 10 channels.
What channels the viewer will get after installing a digital antenna?
- Package 1: First, Match TV, Culture, Russia-1, NTV, Russia-24, Channel 5, OTR, Karusel, TVC.
- Package 2: Spas, Friday!, TNT, Rent TV, Zvezda, TV-3, Mir, Domashniy, Muz-TV, STS.
It is important to keep in mind that multiplexes are not an absolute constant and can be changed regularly. But even with these additions any audience will always find their favorite channels on terrestrial TV!
What equipment is needed for the transition to digital
The choice of technical kit depends on the remoteness of the tower and the model of TV-receiver. Taking these factors into account, the set may consist of:
It is useful if the tower is far away or in the way of the signal difficult terrain (mountains, forests, intensive urban development). Comes in street or indoor performance. For megapolis conditions is quite suitable device type 2. Outdoor antennas with an additional amplifier needed for confident reception of the “picture” in suburban areas.
Please note that as such a digital antenna does not exist in principle. To put it simply, it is always a regular decimeter antenna receiving a signal at a high frequency. This signal then enters the digital receiver, which separates the desired digital signal from the high-frequency component, converts it into video and audio, and outputs it through the appropriate outputs HDMI, composite for connection to the TV. Proceeding from it it is possible to understand, that advertised digital antennas it is a Myth with which unscrupulous sellers deceive buyers. Buying such antenna, the buyer only then understands, that such device can only receive a signal, but for broadcasting you still need either a digital receiver or TV with built-in DVB-T2 tuner. Theoretically, of course, it is possible to create a combined antenna with a built-in tuner. Even there were attempts to deliver such antennas to our market, but the cost of such a device will be more expensive than to buy separately.
To use aerials with the amplifier makes sense only in extreme cases when it is impossible to achieve anything else. The aerial amplifier itself is intended to compensate for signal losses in the cable, when using its considerable length. By amplifying the useful part of the signal, it also amplifies the interference. That’s why it’s difficult to separate useful things from the initially received signal of zero. In addition, during thunderstorm season, the likelihood that an amplifier built into the antenna will “go bad” tends to 50%. And that means that at least every couple of years you’ll have to climb on the roof like a “tarzan”, remove the antenna, change the amplifier and spend again and again to buy it! Buying a good antenna with a good “passive” own gain will be much more useful for the same money.
The TV shelf is subdivided by shape:
Depending on the shape you have in mind, shelves are made of different materials: wood, glass, drywall, metal, stone and plastic. You can make a place for TV from plasterboard and wood yourself. All other kinds of a material, are subject only to hands of professionals.
Classic wooden hinged shelf. Made in the style of minimalism, contrasting with the bright image of the entire living room. Can hold TV’s, decor and other items
How to make a shelf for the TV with your own hands
Make a standard wooden shelf for the TV on the wall is not difficult.
The drawing of this design provides for the location of the TV on top of the shelf, and inside you can place a tuner and other items
- Materials for manufacturing. Wood is the most convenient option for this idea, and also easy to handle. Shelf structures made of such material can be: angular, suspended, closed, open. To implement the model under consideration, choose a dry, perfectly flat board. In addition to the main billet 16 mm thick, you will need additional tools for installation: a jigsaw (jigsaw), a drill, a level, a ruler, a pencil, brackets, screws, dowels, stain and varnish.
- Making a drawing, making calculations. The future functional decor will have a standard shape, with the top, bottom and two sides. Construction size is 250x300x1100 mm. Place the boards on a flat surface and transfer the drawing onto them, using a pencil and ruler. Be sure to add 1.6cm to the allowance for fastening.
- Sawing and handling. Position one side of the board on the chair, with the other end exposed to the air. Use an electric jigsaw to cut off the unwanted parts. All, do the same with the other boards, obtaining two long and two short. Apply stain and varnish to the cut edges.
- Assemble. After it is completely dry, proceed to assembly. On the bottom and top board drill a couple of holes on the edges for self-tapping screws. Then the sides are attached to the bottom with self-tapping screws, covered with the upper billet and the same way they are screwed with hardware. The back side can be trimmed with a sheet of plywood.
- How to overcome vibration? Factory shelves, such as those made of glass, are originally equipped with a vibration dampening system. And, to get rid of the vibration of wooden shelves you need to equip them with small rotating wheels, silicone pads, metal needles. To reduce the vibration to a minimum studs-needles are set very sharp.
- How to hang a shelf by yourself? On the back of the structure or on its ends attach the metal brackets. Drill holes in the wall strictly horizontally for self-tapping screws. In the resulting cavity to insert dowels and screw in screws so that their edge projected at 0.5-0.7 mm. Hang the TV shelf with brackets on the self-tapping screws. Done.
Here is a fragment of the performance of calculations for the future shelf. All measurements are carefully calculated and written on a separate sheet of paper. Only then do they draw a diagram of the future anchoring structure
Staining is the easiest stage. Lightly pressing with a brush on the polished surface leads to an even distribution of the mixture. The stain should be applied gradually from one edge to another
The photo shows the assembly process, namely: an electric screwdriver screws self-tapping screws into the inside of the boards, thus fastening the side parts to the bottom of the workpiece. The tool should be held strictly horizontally
Location and mounting of monitors in car interior
The market of car goods including additional equipment for cars is very diverse and before you choose a specific model of car monitor you should decide on the location you prefer. The most common locations for mounting monitors in cars are sun visors, head restraints and roof panel. Each of the placement options has both advantages and certain disadvantages. For instance, installing a monitor in the headrests of the front seats is suitable for car owners who constantly travel with passengers in the back seat, however, watching even a “glimpse” of an interesting show for the driver is excluded from the very beginning. If you want to install the monitor in such way, you’ll need to buy two screens for comfortable usage and aesthetic equilibrium of the interior, and the display size is determined by the dimensions of the headrests.
The advantage of flip-down monitors is the decent range of choices according to display parameters and the wide viewing angle which allows watching TV even by the driver, though not during the motion. Another advantage of such installation is the possibility to fold the monitor down to the level of the ceiling when you don’t need to turn on the TV. Sun visors are the least popular for the location of the monitor, because they install monitors with small parameters, which reduces the convenience of viewing programs for both passengers and driver. Only after having weighed up the pros and cons and decided on the reference point of the device should you start choosing it, because this criterion directly influences the monitor model which the car owner needs. For a specific location mounting provides the purchase of a suitable modification of the monitor. Let’s consider step by step how to connect a TV set in the car, focusing on the most popular and convenient installation sites: headrests and ceiling.
Mounting the TV screen into the headrest
Before buying a TV screen for the car, which is supposed to be installed in the headrest, it is important to measure the dimensions of the headrests themselves, so that the parameters of the display were slightly smaller than the diagonal of the location area of the devices. Professionals do not recommend mounting the TV screen on the headrest, the dimensions of which exceed the parameters of the upper part of the seat, as any unsuccessful movement of the front passenger or driver can cause mechanical damage to the screen. The head restraints should be mounted at the rear of the vehicle, but if they are too large to fit on the head restraints, they could damage the vehicle’s interior. The process of mounting a TV is not particularly difficult, but it requires the performer of the accuracy and sensitivity to the result of the work was not only a technical success in the functioning of the monitor, but also positioned positively from an aesthetic standpoint. For the work, the executor will need, in addition to the monitors, the following tools and materials:
- Flouresher or trowel.
- Set of screwdrivers.
- Tape for wiring insulation.
- Knife, cutter or other device with a sharp blade for cutting the opening for the monitor.
- Technical adhesive.
After preparing all the necessary materials, you can begin the work, following the instructions for mounting the TV in the headrest of the car:
- The first production necessity is to try the monitor on the headrest and make a contour marking which will predetermine the screen mounting area. To do this you will need to draw the borders of the future aperture for the TV set on the headrest with the screen pressed tightly against it.
- Further you need to remove the headrest from its usual place because it will be inconvenient to cut it out directly in the car.
- The upholstery is removed from the headrest, after making preliminary shallow punctures in the corners of the perimeter area for screen installation. This can be done using an ordinary needle.
- According to the marks, the contour of the aperture for the TV screen is drawn on the headrest and a blind hole is cut out, the depth of which should be equal to the thickness of the TV set.
- After testing the screen and making sure that it sits freely in the recess, it’s necessary to make one more aperture, through this time for the cable lead-out from the monitor to the tuner.
- The next task is to make a similar cutout to the size of the screen on the headrest upholstery according to the previous drawing. It is necessary to cut the hole a little bit less leaving about a half of centimeter on each side to wrap the upholstery inside when the TV screen is mounted: this approach will allow you to hide the trimmed edges of the upholstery which will reflect on the presentable look of the set.
- Next, you have to put the upholstery on the headrest, wrap the trimmed ribs inside it, after making small cuts in the corners of the opening.
- Fastening of the monitor in its mounting is performed with the help of technical glue or reliable double-sided adhesive tape. It is important to fix the TV screen firmly to exclude the possibility of its falling out while operating the car in case of hard braking or an extreme maneuver.
To get a picture on the TV, you only need to connect the cable from the monitor to the tuner, and connect the adapter to the cigarette lighter.
Car overhead monitor installation
Mounting an overhead TV set is a more complicated task. To install the monitor you will need to partially dismantle the skins on the ceiling of the car to free the area of the roof where the screen will be installed. Then it is necessary to make a plate, on which the car ceiling TV will be mounted, or its installation, if it is prepared in advance by the car owner. The size of the plate has to correspond to the base of the purchased device and it must be made of plywood or metal, specialists favor the latter variant to ensure sufficient stability and durability of the final construction. Fix the plate on the reinforcing ribs of the ceiling with self-tapping screws or screws, being very careful not to pierce the roof with the fasteners. Fasten the TV set base to the installed plate with the accompanying hardware, which will later be used to connect the monitor.