How to turn off the hotspot in the iPhone
In case you need to disable Internet distribution on your device, there are several ways to do this:
- Enable “On Airplane” mode, which will turn off all wireless and cellular networks, but you can activate Wi-Fi if you want, but this is only useful for those who will be acting as a connecting.
Also in iOS, there is an additional option that can limit your connection. Simply swipe up to bring up the Control Center and tap on the Internet icon. An additional menu will appear with items:
With a single tap, you can change these modes to restrict connections to your hotspot.
- Use the USB cable to connect your unlocked phone to your computer and tap “Allow” when a notification appears on your iPhone screen.
- After that, under “Devices and Disks” in Explorer, the iPhone will appear.
- In order to view the desired files, the user needs to go to a specific folder.
USB vs. Bluetooth vs. Wi-Fi: The best way to tether to your iPhone or iPad!
To connect your iPhone to your computer, take a USB cable and plug one end into the Lightning connector on your smartphone and the other end into the USB output on your computer. If you don’t have iTunes installed on your computer, you will automatically be prompted to open the device if you have autorun enabled on your computer.
Connecting via Wi-Fi
Make sure your iOS or iPadOS device, as well as your Mac, is logged into iCloud with the same Apple ID.
On your Mac, click the Wi-Fi status icon
on the menu bar, then select your iPhone or iPad.
Once you’re connected to the hotspot on your iPhone or iPad, you can use the Wi-Fi status menu to check your device’s battery status and cell signal strength.
If access point is not used, device will be turned off automatically to save battery power.
Open settings of your smartphone. Under “Wireless Networks” (“Network”), locate “Modem Mode” (“Modem and Access Point”). Activate USB modem. A new network with Internet access will appear on your computer.
In order to access the Internet from your PC, using your iPhone as a modem, using a USB cable, you need:
- Connect your iPhone to your computer
- Go to Control Panel. Network and Internet. Review the network and task status and make sure the connection is activated
- Update iTunes to the latest version.
- Using a USB cable, connect your iPhone with the “Modem Mode” function active to your computer
- Then make sure that iTunes recognizes the iOS device.
- Connect your device to your computer
- In the iTunes app on your PC, click the device button at the top left of the iTunes window.
- Click “Browse.”.
- Select the “Synchronize with this [device] via Wi-Fi” checkbox.
- Press the “Apply” button.
Connecting via USB
iPhone only extends Internet access via USB to the device it is connected to. It charges at the same time, so you don’t have to worry about the battery running out quickly. If you do it right, your laptop will go online every time it’s connected to your smartphone via cable.
To connect, you need to do the following:
To disconnect the connection, simply remove the USB cable or exit modem mode. The same should be done if it was not possible to connect the first time. Then just repeat the steps.
Data transfer rate
You can share internet via Wi-Fi, USB or Bluetooth. And you can create multiple connections at the same time. For example, you can connect your iPad via Wi-Fi, and a desktop computer that has no wireless modules. via USB.
When choosing how to distribute the Internet from iPhone to computer, do not forget about the data transfer speed. Wi-Fi provides enough speed for both, for comfortable seing and downloading files. USB baud rate is version dependent. 2.0, which works with 4, 4s, 5, and 6, is much slower than Wi-Fi. And here is USB 3.0 и 4.0 show a solid speed. Bluetooth of any of the existing versions is inferior by 2 orders of magnitude.
Note that the speed is determined by the slowest of the devices in the pair. So if you are using an iPhone 4s with USB 2.0 and the most modern laptop with USB 4.0, the data transfer rate in this pairing will still not exceed 480 Mbit/s.
Cellular data transfer is a power-consuming operation. The phone battery will run out very quickly, so it makes sense to charge the phone immediately after turning on the modem mode.
If you have Windows 10, then you need to open the menu “Settings” (shortcut Windows-i) and go to “Devices. Bluetooth”. Here you need to turn on Bluetooth and start pairing with your iPhone (the “Link” button). After that, you need to confirm the pairing on the iPhone and on the computer.
- Connect your smartphone to your computer and go to “Settings”.
- Select “Modem Mode”.
- In the next tab, activate the function by moving the switch to the right.
- If the PC does not automatically connect to an available network, go to “Network Service List” in the settings and look for your iPhone.
Unfortunately, this method is only suitable for connecting your iPhone as an Internet source for computers, since it is not possible to pair mobile devices via Bluetooth by standard means. To connect the devices, follow the conditions:
- On your computer, activate Bluetooth as you did on your smartphone, and pair between the devices;
- Once they’re paired, you’ll be able to connect to the internet from your computer.
Attention! Sometimes the Bluetooth connection does not work right away due to different module manufacturers, so try again if you have any problems. It is also recommended to put the device from the Bluetooth module used on the computer at a distance of 5-10 meters.