How to optimize the memory in your Xiaomi smartphone
Resource limitations exist in all economic systems, regardless of the degree of wealth. This problem did not bypass smartphones. Manufacturers increase the amount of memory in devices year by year. now the threshold has passed 256 GB.
How you can optimize space on your Xiaomi smartphone without harming your device?
Stage One: Cleaning the cache
The cache is a temporary file that is stored in the memory of the smartphone and contains the most frequent commands and requests, as well as multimedia from some applications or services.
Ideally, the smartphone should clear the cache by itself, but if the program is incomplete or there is too much junk accumulated in it, it is necessary to perform manual cleanup:
Up to several gigabytes of memory can be freed up with this manipulation.
Stage two: memory optimization through the “Security” app
“Deep Clean” offers to delete “heavy” or repetitive photos (the application analyzes photos and files by itself).
Item “Applications” offers to delete programs that have not been used for a long time. Here, as in the previous case, the system itself determines which files are suitable for elimination.
Stage three: “Mi Cloud” “Mi Cloud”. this is a proprietary cloud service Xiaomi, which can solve many problems associated with limited free space on the “hard drive. It will free you from unnecessary control over photos and videos, messages, etc.д.
“The Cloud synchronizes with your smartphone and saves only an image of the picture on your gadget, transferring the original to the cloud storage. You can save the lion’s share of space on your phone that way.
- Go to the “Gallery” application;
- Select the “Albums” section;
- Click on the expanded functions (three dots) and select “Settings”;
- Turn on the option “Synchronization with Mi Cloud”;
Now all the photos will be sent to the “cloud” and you will free up space in your smartphone memory.
Step 4: transferring data In case your favorite music albums and TV shows can’t just disappear from your smartphone, it’s worth transferring them to another medium. A standard MicroSD card or any other gadget that can keep the information intact will help here.
Make sure you have enough space on the storage device and that its speed is at least 45 MB/c. Otherwise you might experience intermittent freezes (slowdowns or temporary stopping of the system) or the files might get lost during the transfer from point “A” to point “B”.
Users whose phones don’t support memory expansion can use an OTG-cable with a computer flash drive connected.
Following our tips you will be able to keep your smartphone memory clean and tidy for a long time.
Description conducted on a Xiaomi smartphone running MIUI 9 weekly version 8.1.25. So some points may be different or will be added later in the stable version after the MIUI update.
Expand the boundaries of the possible together with XiStore!
Transferring using a computer
Probably the easiest and fastest way to transfer apps to your SD card. It is a good choice if you are going to save a lot of apps and games to your flash, or if you get errors when transferring via smartphone.
- memory card (preferably class 10 or higher, t. к. applications will not freeze on it);
- a computer with the necessary drivers installed,
- script aftiss_b2;
- The Activity Launcher app on a PC.
Before migrating apps, you need to merge your smartphone’s internal and external memory.
- Download the aftiss_b2 archive from the link above to your computer.
- Unpack the archive with the archiver.
- Enable “USB Debugging” in developer menu and check “Allow saving to external memory devices” option.
After that you are ready to install apps on your memory card. The instructions are relevant for almost all Xiaomi models, including the budget Redmi 4X, 6A and 7A.
- Open the Aktiviti Lancer app downloaded from Google Play.
- Select “Recent Activities” and then select “All Activities.
- This will start loading all of the applications. Here find “Settings” and click on them.
- You will see a list of items, among which you should select “All apps”.
- Now click on any program you want to move. In the information about it, select “Storage”. Next select “Change” and “SD card.
- At the end, click “Move.”.
In the future, all new applications will be installed on the memory card.
How to move applications to Xiaomi SD-card through the phone settings
On Xiaomi phones with MIUI 8 or earlier versions of the shell is a built-in option to move applications to the memory card. To use this function, you need to go into the list of installed applications (through “Settings”), select the desired application and, going to the menu of the program, click on the “Move to SD-card”. Using this method, you can move most of the apps to the memory card. If some applications can not be transferred (it happens), then you will have to resort to other methods of transfer.
If MIUI 9 or a later version of the shell is installed on your smartphone, then the presented method will not work (the statement is relevant at the time of writing this article). To achieve the goal you need to download special programs or use the functionality of computer software, designed for the transfer of files on cell phones.
Transferring apps from Xiaomi and Redmi to SD card without a computer
At the moment, this is 1 of the 2 working ways on Xiaomi and Redmi smartphones that actually allows you to transfer apps to the memory card. This is done by merging internal and external memory.
For obvious reasons, starting with MIUI 9, developers have removed the option to transfer apps via system settings (read below). In the Android system itself this option still works, but in order to promote their phones with more internal memory (like all other manufacturers) they have covered this method. But, the craftsmen from XDA Developers found a little loophole, with the help of which everyone can transfer the necessary programs to the external drive.
Downloading Activity Launcher
We need a special application called Activity Launcher, which is freely available on Google Play. It is with his help (after combining the memory) we will be able to select the necessary programs for the transfer and configure the automatic installation of new applications from Google Play.
Search for the desired memory card
In the video, a link to which is below, I described in detail why you need to use a new SD-card of class 10 or higher, but here again. For normal speed and error-free use of applications that will run from the flash drive you need a high-quality and modern memory.
External memory is much slower than sealed, that is, built-in. Installing programs and various applications lead to obvious brakes, which causes unstable operation of the device and other unpleasant moments. But using described below method and 10 class memory card you will get rid of such problems.
If the text instruction proves difficult see the visual transfer in our video at the end of the article.
- So, download and install the Activiti Launcher. Turning on the application.
- On the main page click on the item at the top of Last Actions, there select All Actions.
- Wait for the system to download all installed applications and processes on the smartphone (the download lasts less than 1 minute).
- Now look for Documents. and in the dropdown menu look for Downloads: com.Android.documentsui.LauncherActivity.
- A new page opens. In the left side menu click on SD card. Now by triplet, where we select the line Memory.
- Expanded storage settings are displayed. At the bottom click Internal storage. We get a warning that the memory card will now be formatted, and, accordingly, all data will be deleted.
- Agree to complete the procedure by clicking Clear and Format. Done, now you can install games and programs from the internal memory to the external drive.
To do the migration itself: Go to Settings and then to Applications. Open the page of the application you want to move. Now click on Storage and specify the External drive.
Methods of transfer
You can move objects using the built-in capabilities of the Xiaomi Redmi 4X smartphone or third-party applications.
Via Clean Master
In addition to transferring objects to a flash drive, this product has these functions:
- Clean the device from duplicate files and unnecessary information;
- stop performing tasks;
- Delete utilities, games;
- Restore phone back to factory settings.
How to move apps to sd card for redmi mobile phones.
To perform the migration, after installing the program go to App Manager. Check the boxes next to the desired items. Click on the blue button at the bottom of the window.
Program AppMgr III
Simple program does not load the built-in memory of your smartphone. Using the application does not require special skills, does not take much time. No need to get root-user rights. After launching the program it opens the list of installed applications. Shift the screen to the right, bringing up the context menu. Here select the item Move, confirm the action.
Link 2 SD program
The utility is downloaded in the market and installed by standard method. Unlocking the bootloader is required for the software to work properly.
- Run the installed utility. The window of storage settings opens. Select the desired game here.
- Move to the bottom of the page. Touch the area marked Send to SD card with your finger. The migration is completed automatically.
Folder Mount software
This effective application has 2 major drawbacks. it is difficult to perform the transfer procedure, and you must have administrative rights. The product provides a 100% guarantee of the object moving.
- Download the utility from the catalog and run it. Opens the main page. This is where you find the No Pair List checkbox.
- Swipe left to bring up the advanced menu. Select Application Analysis. Opens 2 windows data and obb. One of them is active. Press the Create Pair button and confirm the action.
- On the Folder Settings tab, find the file name and path. Here they set the destination. If the data is correct, click on the checkbox at the top of the screen. A popup menu opens, track the procedure.
- After completing the process, return to the main page. Here they toggle the slider between the app and the new folder on the memory card.
Through the settings
MIUI shell does not have a system move feature. Some Xiaomi Pro Redmi phones work with this option, but you can’t find it in modern models.
- In the list of widgets look for an icon of settings, most often in the form of a gear. Here they open the Attachments section.
- Select the desired game. If relocation is possible, the Transfer to memory card message appears. The procedure completes automatically. If there is no icon, you cannot perform the action.
Transferring apps to the SD-card of Xiaomi and Redmi phones: Questions and answers
If your smartphone does not have enough memory, you can run “demanding” games from the SD-card.
How to install downloaded applications to the card right away?
If you use Activity Launcher or AppMgr III, all new apps will be automatically installed on the SD card. In other cases you will need to download applications to the built-in phone memory, and then transfer them to the external drive.
Will the memory consolidation be lost if you change the firmware?
When MIUI system is updated automatically, the settings remain untouched. But if you change the phone’s firmware, the memory merge will disappear along with the rest of your data.
Can only cache be transferred?
An app can only be transferred with its cache, and vice versa. They must be on the same drive. Exception. if using the FolderMount utility, you can set up a link between the application and its cache.
What to do if after transferring applications to Xiaomi SD-card the icons are gone?
After rebooting your smartphone icons may disappear from their usual place. To avoid this, you need to enable “Protect from changes” in your phone’s desktop settings.
Why the phone does not correctly display the memory?
After transferring applications, it happens that the Xiaomi smartphone begins to display the remaining free space incorrectly. Unfortunately, this is a bug of MIUI developers and it’s not solved. However it is only a visual defect, which doesn’t influence the performance.
Phone doesn’t see the memory card. what to do?
Both before and after you have merged the external and internal memory, the smartphone may not recognize the card. To fix it, you need to format the SD drive again.
How to transfer apps from Xiaomi phone to SD-card
All applications on Xiaomi smartphones are known to be installed in the smartphone memory by default. It is good when the amount of memory is large. 128 or 256 GB. But when this parameter does not exceed 64 GB or, even worse, 32 GB, there is usually almost no space left for applications. The problem can be solved by expanding the internal storage with a memory card and transferring all the programs to it. You do not know how to transfer applications from Xiaomi phone to SD-card? We’ll talk about it in detail next.
How easy to move applications in MIUI 10 to Xiaomi memory card
Without further ado, let’s talk about how to solve the problem of many Xiaomi and MIUI 10 users and move applications to the memory card from the internal.
The fact that the OS of Chinese developers is extremely uneconomical to use the internal memory of the device. Because of this, it quickly gets clogged, and the smartphone user begins to regularly receive appropriate notifications about the lack of free space.
The advantages of storing files on a memory card
60, 100 and even more GB of internal memory. that’s great! But what if the phone fails?? Most likely in this situation not even 1000 GB of RAM will save your data from loss. That’s what the removable memory card is for.
The advantages of putting information on a memory card:
- First, if your internal memory is clogged, you have an extra place to store your files;
- Secondly, if your gadget breaks down and you can’t repair or restore it, you can simply remove the SD card and get all the files right in your hands;
- And finally, thirdly, if your device fails but you can fix it by reflashing it, and you no longer have time to transfer files or find them in other ways, you can also remove the card and not lose the files you need.