How to reboot a frozen iPhone
If your smartphone is frozen you can’t make a call or use an app. To reboot your iPhone and get it working again, you just need to perform a few actions. We have prepared for you five instructions to get your device out of a frozen state.
iPhone owners firmly believe their gadgets never freeze or crash. It becomes unclear why they are looking for instructions on how to reboot their smartphones. To restart the computer, just press the “Reset” button. But it is not available on smartphones. On iPhones the reboot procedure is performed by switching off and then switching on. For this the “Power” button is used.
If the iPhone glitches, but keeps responding to the power button, it will restart in the following way:
- Press and hold down the “Power” button until the slider labeled shutdown appears.
- Slide the slider to the right and wait for the device to turn off.
- Press the power button again and wait for the operating system to boot.
Done and the iPhone has restarted, you can use it. The procedure is simple even for inexperienced users. It is appropriate for small freezes that do not lead to a complete malfunction. For example, when an application is not working or some operations have slowed down (processes are hanging up).
A simple iPhone X reboot
If you need to reset iPhone X, then this is best done by turning it off and then turning it on. In this case the reboot is carried out as naturally as possible and will not cause any additional problems. Of course, if the smartphone is completely frozen, this method will not work and you need to use a forced reboot, but this does not happen very often.
So, to reboot your iPhone X you need to press the power button (right) and volume down button (left) at the same time. Then keep these buttons pressed until you are prompted to turn off the iPhone.
Next, you need to turn off your iPhone X by sliding the shutdown button to the right.
After switching off you need to wait a few seconds and then switch the smartphone on again with the power button on the right side of the device. This way you will perform the most secure reboot of the iPhone X.
Most likely, this method will also work on the new iPhone XR and iPhone XS models.
How to put iPhone into DFU mode
If nothing helps at all, DFU mode comes to the rescue. This is a special state of the device, necessary for a complete reinstallation of the system.
Connect your iPhone to your computer and make sure iTunes (PC, macOS Mojave and earlier) or Finder (macOS Catalina and later) is running.
Next, proceed depending on the model of the device:
- If you have an iPhone 8, iPhone SE (2nd generation), iPhone X or later model: quickly press the volume up button, then press the volume down button just as quickly, then press and hold the side button until the screen goes dark. Without releasing the side, immediately press the volume down key. After 5 seconds, release the side button, but continue to hold down the volume down key while the computer recognizes the iPhone.
- If you have an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus: Press and hold the side button and volume down button. After 8 seconds, release the side button, but continue to hold down the mute key until the computer recognizes the iPhone.
- If you have an iPhone SE (1st gen), iPhone 6s or earlier: press and hold the side (or top) button and home button. After 8 seconds, release the side (or top) button while continuing to hold the home button until the computer recognizes the iPhone.
If done correctly, the screen will remain black and iTunes or Finder will detect the device in DFU mode and offer to restore it. If the Apple logo appears on the display, iTunes, or the iPhone turns on, you’ve been holding down one of the buttons for too long. If that’s the case, do it all over again.
This piece was first published in December 2018. In January 2021 we updated the text.
I am a mechanical engineer and have a good understanding of technology. than 10 years of Mac and iPhone use, I know everything about the ecosystem and Apple products. I not only write but I can and like to work with my hands. I’ve been working as a car mechanic for 3 years, I fix my car only by myself. I designed and built a house with my own hands from the ground up, gaining a lot of experience along the way. I love old-school video games and comics, I play guitar.
How to reboot iPad if the screen does not work?
Follow these steps to completely reboot your iPad device:
- Quickly press and release the Volume Up button.
- Quickly press and release the Volume Down button.
- Press the Side button. The normal shutdown screen for the device will appear first, but keep holding the button until you see the Apple logo on the screen.
How to turn on the iPhone XR?
To turn your device on, press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo on the screen. To turn it off, press and hold the side button and any of the volume buttons at the same time until the slider appears. Then move it.
If your iPhone is unresponsive and the app won’t close, then you need to forcibly restart your iPhone. To do this, hold down the Home and Power key for 15 to 20 seconds until the display turns off and the phone reboots.
How to turn on the iPhone 12 Pro Max?
Press and hold the side button or Sleep/Wake button (depending on your iPhone model) until the Apple logo appears. If your iPhone doesn’t turn on, it may need to be recharged. For more background information, see.
- First of all, press and hold down the volume up and side button until the shutdown slide button appears on the screen.
- Second, slide it to the right. Now your Apple iPhone 12 mini will turn off.
- Now turn it back on by pressing the side button.
Why you need an emergency iPhone reboot
Force reloading helps get iPhone out of the “temporary standstill” state, if the freeze is not caused by a hardware malfunction. In case of system errors or freezes just press the right combination of buttons to restart your device. The emergency restart is resorted to when the normal switching off and on of the device is impossible.
Forced restart does not affect the safety of your data. It solves the issues of small bugs, but does not solve the classic freezes due to lack of memory. This method is appropriate only in special cases.
Despite the fact that we have tried to detail all the ways to solve the problem with iPhone hangs on the apple, it will still be better if you contact the service center Apple iLab. Anyway, iPhone that suffered a fate of “white/black screen of death” should be subjected to unscheduled diagnostics, so it does not happen again.
Our masters will be glad to help you in this matter and not only. So, welcome to our service centers!