How to install and set up a VPN on your iPhone
A good VPN service is essentially the only way to protect and maintain your privacy when surfing the web with your smartphone.
If you’ve decided to start using a VPN, you’re probably wondering how to set up a VPN on your iPhone? In this article we will tell you how to install and set up a VPN service on your iOS.
Every app (and every version of iOS) has a slightly different installation process, but there are some common features.
We’ll take ExpressVPN as an example, but everything in this article will work for the vast majority of other VPN services. Here’s what you need to do if you have iOS 8.
- First, download a VPN for iOS from the App Store.
- So, for the example, we will download theVPN service for iOSExpressVPN.
- You may see a message telling you that you need to update your operating system in order to use the app. Download the latest version of iOS 8 or upgrade to iOS 9 (or later) to keep the VPN app running smoothly.
- Download and install the app. When the download is complete, click the ExpressVPN shortcut on the home screen. This is how you open this app
- Register and log in to the VPN app. Enter your email address to log in and password, that you used when you signed up.
- Once you’re logged into the app, you’ll need to set up a VPN connection. Click Install in the upper right corner.
- Enter your iPhone password, read the installation instructions, then click on Install.
- Optional: the VPN service app may request your permission to collect anonymous statistical data with which the developers will improve ExpressVPN. If you agree to provide the app with such data, then confirm.It’s not necessary, but if you’ve chosen a reliable VPN service like ExpressVPN, there’s no reason to worry that “anonymous statistics” could somehow be used against you.
- That’s it! Now test the app in action. If you want, try working with different servers, see how everything works on your iPhone. Enjoy using it!
The best VPN apps for iPhone
VPN services help improve your privacy by routing all your web traffic through an encrypted connection to a remote server, but this service sometimes costs money. In case of Surfshark it means real payment for the service, not just displaying ads. Surfshark provides a lot to justify its price, offering rarely seen features, creating a thoughtful application and making an Accent on customer privacy.
Cloudflare is best known for its network infrastructure and security technologies for companies, but its VPN service 126.96.36.199 is geared directly to ordinary users. This service hides your DNS requests, protecting important information from your ISP. The optional WARP feature is able to increase your web browsing speed, while offering some VPN protection.
The most popular app for iOS is “VPN Master”. It has no restrictions and is distributed for free, but is monetized by showing ads. If you want, you can cancel ads by buying a subscription.
It’s easy to use the service. The home screen immediately shows a large “Connect” enable button. The app doesn’t require additional settings. If you click on the field “Optimal Location”, you can choose the desired country, where the company’s servers are located.
When the app is running, a new VPN icon appears in the upper tray.
Everyone loves free Wi-Fi hotspots, but seldom do they think about the fact that hackers can operate in them, intercepting outbound traffic. By enabling VPN, the user cuts off all unauthorized access.
Inveterate travelers can find themselves in a country where many of their favorite services and sites are inaccessible. Using VPN helps even Chinese users to bypass the Great Firewall of China, not to mention the efforts of other countries to block unwanted resources. The Chinese have, since 1998, implemented the Golden Shield, which closes off most external sites that the PRC Party considers undesirable to citizens. The system is complicated, so VPN systems are in high demand in China.
A less honest way to use a VPN is considered bypassing the restrictions set by system administrators in offices. Often firms block access to various services and this method successfully manages to bypass restrictions.
How to connect a VPN using an app
In addition to all of the above, there is another way to configure and connect to a VPN on the Phone or iPad. To do this, you need to use the application from your VPN provider.
To do this, go to the App Store, find there the application from your VPN provider, install it on your device and run. After that, follow the instructions that will appear on the screen.
For example, we’ll show you how to do it in the app from the VPN provider HideMyName, details of which we provide below. To start the application and click on “Log in to your account”.
Next, enter your username and password, which you can get by registering at the site HideMyName.
Once we are in the application, simply click on the “Enable protection” button.
After this simple procedure, your iPhone or iPad will connect to VPN and work through it.
How to disable VPN on iPhone
If you have enabled VPN on your iPhone using the settings, then to disable it, just go to the settings again and click on the switch VPN. You do not need to delete the created connection.
If you connected to the VPN with the app, then you also need to disconnect through it. In this case, turning off through the settings will not work.
How to configure VPN on iPhone manually?
To understand how virtual private network works, you need to consider how to configure it manually. As a VPN service in the example we’ll use the free VPN Gate service with L2TP/IPsec. Configuration will be carried out on the iOS operating system. The configuration process is as follows:
- When all the fields are filled in, you need to enter the address of the VPN server you want to use to connect to the Internet. To get the server address, you need to open the vpngate page.net/en. Here select the best option in the big table Public VPN Relay Servers, in the column L2TP/IPsec. Only those servers that are lit in green are relevant;
- When the choice is made, you need to copy the numeric IP of your choice or the string with the endingonengw.net in the “Server” field
If you want to start using a private virtual network, then in the menu of settings of the VPN need to switch the “Status” to “ON”. If you want to turn it off, uncheck the “OFF” box. If everything is set up correctly, you’ll see a corresponding indicator in the upper panel. Now you know how to set up a VPN on your iPhone manually.
Steps to secure seeding via iPhone using apps
- From the start, you’ll need to download a VPN for iOS on the AppStore, where you can find free and paid VPNs. In this case, type ExpressVPN into the search box.
- You need to download and install the application. You may be asked to update your operating system in order to use the app. just update iOS to the latest version so that the app works stably.
- When the installation is complete, you need to click on the app icon, register and log in to the app. To log in, use the email and password you used during registration.
- Once you’re in the app, you’ll need to set up a VPN connection. You’ll need to click on “Install” in the upper right corner.
- If you want, you can allow the collection of anonymous statistical data, which will make it easier for developers to improve the application. This is only if the user wants. Choosing paid VPNs for iPhone or any other devices, you can be sure that your data will not be used against you.
- As the app is connected and logged in, all your data will be secure, even when accessing the internet from unfamiliar places.
Naturally, connecting to a VPN on the iPhone using an app is much easier. But there is an option to connect manually. As an example, the free VPN Gate, L2TP/IPsec technology and the built-in operating system software. Manually setting up a VPN on the iPhone is as follows:
- Go to the “Settings” application, choose the VPN option and press “Add VPN configuration”;
- select L2TP in the “Type” line, and in the “Description” field, write an arbitrary name for the connection;
- when all the fields are filled in, you need to enter the address of the VPN server that you want to use to connect to the internet (to connect the server you need to go to https://www.vpngate.net/en/, and there look at the table of Public VPN Relay Servers, where you can choose a server);
- After selecting the server, you need to copy the line with the endingonengw.net or numeric IP (it is optimal to use the first option) in the “Server” field;
- in the field “Password”, “Account” and “Shared key” you need to write the word VPN and press ready;
- to use a private virtual network, in the settings menu, just need to change the status to “Enabled”.
As you can see, connecting VPN on iOS using the app and manually is simple enough. The sequence of actions in all services is actually similar, so you will not have any difficulties during connection. If you have difficulty choosing the right service, then it will be useful to see our material “How to choose a VPN service: 10 aspects”
Setting up a VPN (L2TP/IPsec) for iPhone, iPad
This tutorial demonstrates how to connect to a VPN Gate relay server on an iPhone / iPad using the L2TP/IPsec VPN client built into iOS.
- From the iPhone / iPad home screen, select the Settings app.
- Select the VPN option (or go to the “Basic VPN” menu), then tap Add VPN Configuration.
- On the settings page, select L2TP Type and add the name of the connection in the Description field, for example “VPN Gate”.
- Next on this screen you need to enter either a host name or IP addresses of the server from the pool of open VPN Gate servers http://www.vpngate.net/en/ (the L2TP/IPsec column for Windows, Mac, iPhone, Android No client required must be checked in the list of servers).
- Open the list of open relay servers and select the VPN server you want to connect to.
It is recommended to use the DDNS name. you can continue to use it even if the corresponding DDNS IP address changes in the future. Nevertheless, in some countries you can’t use the DDNS hostname. in this case you should use the IP address.
- You can establish a new connection to the VPN server at any time by selecting the desired configuration in the VPN settings menu and setting the Status switch to “On.
- iOS shows the “VPN” indicator in the top bar if a VPN connection is established.
- Once you go to the configuration, you can get the following information: the assigned IP address and connection time.