How to connect a laptop to a Wi-Fi network?
Today we will tell you how to connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi from your laptop. In most cases, the Wi-Fi icon is displayed in the lower right corner of the system treasury. To connect to the Wi-Fi network, just click on this icon, choose a wireless network of interest to you from the list available and enter the password for the correct connection. Thus, while in a cafe, at work or at home, you can easily use Internet services both from your laptop or netbook, and from any mobile gadget.
There are situations in which the laptop does not see Wi-Fi. Often, this is due to the fact that the wireless adapter is turned off or not built into the computer at all. We will figure out why there are problems with the activation of W FI and consider various ways to eliminate the problem with connecting to the network.
The alternative method for turning on the required function is through the systemic tool for configuration Windows 10 “Parameters”.
Click the combination of Wini to call the required equipment, and after the appearance of its main menu, go to the “Network and the Internet” item.
Where to find Wi-Fi on a computer with Windows 10?
To figure out how to connect to Wi-Fi on Windows 10, you do not need to have special knowledge. If the software and drivers are installed correctly, difficulties rarely arise. At the same time, you can activate the wireless network in the following ways:
- Using a hardware button that turns on the Wi Fai adapter on Windows 10. On some laptops, you can turn on the module by pressing one button, but more often you need to trigger two keys, for example, FN and some of the F1-F12. After turning on, the corresponding indicator should light up.
- The second method is to enable Wi-Fi using the algorithm button, which is considered above. The work key appears after pressing the wi.Fay icon on the right below.
- Through the settings and section Wi-Fi. There is a toggle switch, which must be transferred to the right side. This method is used when there is no wireless network button on the laptop (more on that below).
After turning on the module, you need to select the network of interest and connect to Wi-Fi on a laptop with Windows 10. If you have created your network using a router, enter its settings and, in the Wi-Fi Security section, set the password for entering.
How to configure an access point?
Before you configure the Wi-Fi connection, the user will have to fill the “Local network properties” window in Windows 7. This will need:
Windows 7. How to Connect to a Wireless Network
If there are questions about setting up Wi-Fi wireless network on a laptop on Windows 7-the video will make it possible to figure out in more detail.
Please note that turning on the distribution is much easier than making Wi-Fi on a computer again! But in any case, the main thing is not to give up! Currently, user capabilities are practically unlimited!
How to connect a laptop to Wi-Fi without a cable
Many want a laptop to be easy to transfer from the room to another, and with the cable about mobility it remains only to dream. But the devices equipped with a Wi-Fi module, the question: how to connect a Netbook laptop to the Internet via Wi-Fi without a cord-disappears by itself. After all, he catches the connection that the router gives out “by air”.
- There is no connection of a laptop to the Internet via Wi-Fi, there is no icon or it is crossed out. The reason may be incorrect work of drivers. They need to be updated or loaded;
- The adapter on the computer is disconnected. The instructions were given above how to go to the “control panel” and turn it on;
- Wireless communication is disabled on the router or Wi-Fi module does not work. Attention should be paid to indicators in the case. Wlan should glow or blink. If this does not happen, you need to configure it either by contacting the service company, or by visiting the manufacturer’s website independently;
- Wi-Fi access point is hidden. It will not be visible in the list and you need to enter yourself. This will allow the laptop to connect to the Wi-Fi network.
If you do not want to mess with the setting of the router for a long time, then you should at least restart it. Turn off the button and turn on. Connecting a laptop to Wi-Fi without a wire will not be difficult if it is relatively new model, and the router is correctly configured.
How to configure Wi-Fi on a laptop
We figured out the adapter, then we’ll see how to configure Wi-Fi on Windows laptop. The setting process in different versions of the OS is slightly different, so an individual step.By.Step guide will be given for each system.
Settings on Windows XP
For configuration, it is enough to correctly specify some parameters of the wireless connection:
- Open the “network connection” section through the “control panel” and find a wireless connection.
- Click on it with the right mouse button and open the properties of the “properties”.
- On the “General” tab in the “Components” field, select the “TCP/IPV4” protocol and click the “Properties” button.
- Install the automatic receipt of IP and DNS addresses or enter specific values (depending on the settings of the router).
- Close the properties of the protocol and go to the “Wireless Network” tab.
- In the field “Available Networks” click the “Wireless Network” button.
- Click “Update the list” in the menu on the left.
- Select a network through which you want to go on the Internet and click “Connect”.
If a password is installed on a wireless connection, then you will need to specify the security key, after which the connection will be installed.
Settings on Windows 7
We figured out XP, now let’s see how to configure a wireless network on a laptop with installed Windows 7. There are practically no fundamental differences:
- Go to the “Networks Management Center”.
- Click in the menu on the left according to the section “Change of adapter parameters”.
- Open the properties of a wireless connection.
- Install the necessary operation parameters for the TCP/IPV4 protocol.
- Return to the “Networks Management Center” and click “Connect to the network”.
- Select an affordable connection and click “Connect”.
This is the Wi-Fi setting on a laptop with Windows 7 completed. When connecting, you enter a security key and get Internet access.
For Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 There are no differences in setting up from the seventh version. The list of networks available for connecting networks can be called directly from the notification panel-there is a special wi-fi icon in the tray.
The parameters of the functioning of the elements of the motherboard are set in BIOS.
Prohibiting (accidentally or consciously) a wireless adapter in these installations, you will not be able to use Wi-Fi on a laptop. Specific steps for activating the adapter are determined by the portable PC model, type of firmware and BIOS version. In the general case, by going when loading PC to BIOS, you need:
- Pass the menu items and look in the settings of the name “Onboard Wlan”, “Wireless Lan”, “Wireless”, etc.P.
- If such a item is detected, then its value should be set in the “Enabled” or “ON” mode.
Windows connection equipment to a wireless network
To configure the wireless network, the components listed below are required:
Broadband Internet connection and modem
A broadband Internet connection guarantees a high data transfer speed. Unlike a slow remote access that is not powerful to support a wireless network. Typically, broadband connection is installed using a digital subscriber line (DSL) or cable. To get a broadband connection, refer to your Internet provider. Typically, DSL is provided by telephone companies, and cable television companies are connected by cable connection.
Internet providers often provide and even install broadband modems. Some Internet providers offer a combination of modem and wireless routers. This equipment can be purchased in stores of computer and electronic equipment.
The router transfers data between the network and the Internet. A wireless router allows you to connect a computer to the network using not cables, but radio signals.
There are several types of wireless networks, in particular 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11G and 802.11n. We recommend using a router that supports technology 802.11G or 802.11n, because such models can provide the proper speed of data transfer and maintain sufficient power of the radio signal.
Wireless network adapters
A network adapter is a device that connects the computer to the network. To connect a laptop or a desktop computer to a wireless network, they must be equipped with an adapter of a wireless network.
Most laptops and desktop computers are supplied with a pre.Installed wireless network adapter.
To find out if an adapter of a wireless network has been installed on the computer, follow the following actions:
- Open Device Manager.
- Click the icon twice Network adapters.
- Find a network adapter in the name of which there is a word “wireless”.
If the computer requires an adapter of a wireless network, it can be purchased at a computer and electronic equipment store and installed on your own.
It is recommended to choose adapters such as a universal sequential tire (USB): they are small in size, they can be easily installed and can be moved from a computer to a computer.
Make sure the type of adapters is the same as in a wireless router. Typically, the type of adapter is indicated on the package and indicated by the letter (for example, G or A).
Wireless network connection
All preparatory actions are over, then it’s time to start organizing a laptop and router connection through a wireless network. You can use several different methods, depending on personal preferences. Each of them differs and requires the implementation of different steps, but leads to the same result. Next, read the features of each option and select the appropriate.
The operating system
Connecting through the operating system is the simplest, since it does not require a transition to certain menu and filling out authorization data. However, there is one nuance associated with the need for knowledge of the current password from Wi-Fi. If he is unknown to you, return to step 1, go to the settings of the router and change the parameters for yourself. Then close the web intake and start the connection by performing the following actions:
How to connect Windows XP to your wireless network
- Click on the Internet icon on the taskbar to open the list of available connections. You see his image in the stroke in the next screenshot.
WPS. Technology present on almost all popular routers. Its main purpose is to connect new devices to a wireless network without entering a password. To do this, there is a button on the router itself, the pressing of which allows you to conjure the device and ensure the correct connection. If you are interested in implementing this method, go to the article on the following link to get detailed instructions.
Web-Inteake of the router
Above you have already received information about how interaction takes place with the web-integrator of the router. Now you can use this menu for your own purposes, and not only for setting up, but also to connect a laptop to a wireless network, which is carried out by adding a new device through the “Wireless Main” menu ”. This task, using the example of several types of Internet centers, is shown in another leadership on our website.
Connecting two laptops via Wi-Fi
In conclusion, we will analyze one method indirectly related to the current topic, but which can be useful to certain users. You can use a wireless network to conjure two laptops and provide general access between them. This will allow you to transfer files or play games on a local network. Pre-connect both laptops to the same Wi-Fi, then configure the overall access as it is shown later.
If, when you try to perform any of the methods presented, you get various kinds of errors or the connection simply does not succeed, it is worthwhile to engage in the solution of this situation by checking each affordable method of correction. Pay attention to the settings of the router, Wi-Fi drivers on the laptop and the parameters of the operating system.