How to turn on Wi-Fi on your laptop
Today without internet any laptop is no more than a typewriter or a big calculator. Fortunately, every modern device is equipped with an already built in Wi-Fi adapter for high-speed Internet access. But what if you bought a new laptop, you can not connect to the router and enjoy all the delights of the Internet? You need to figure out the system settings and create the connection yourself. Consider the most common ways to connect your laptop to the router, methods of changing network settings in Windows 7 and 10.
The need for the Internet is always there, so how to connect your laptop to Wi-Fi, the question is relevant. Initially, you should try to establish a connection hardware. The easiest and most common option is to use the Wi-Fi activation buttons on the laptop. If this method does not work, it may be that the module driver is down. Let’s look at the options.
Update drivers and firmware
If the connection to the Internet on your laptop constantly jumps and disappears, the first thing you need to do is to update the router firmware, especially if the Windows system has picked them up automatically. Download the driver for the Wi-Fi adapter on the official website of your laptop manufacturer. After that the computer should be restarted and the signal should be checked.
If your device cannot recognize the access point, you need to make sure that the wireless module is not in a disabled state. Go into “adapter settings” under “network and sharing center” and see what the status of the current connection is. If it is disconnected, the problem is solved elementary by pressing a single “plug” button. After this procedure it is recommended to restart the laptop and check the reception level again.
Example of enabled wireless network in Windows 10
What if the laptop has no wi-fi module?
Connecting to a wi-fi access point is possible with a special adapter, its cost varies from 15 to 30 dollars. You can easily find such an adapter at any computer store. In terms of external dimensions, the device can be compared to a flash drive. The use of the device is similar, you just need to plug it into a USB port.
The disadvantage of an external adapter is a high probability of breakage if handled carelessly. This is also because the part that protrudes from the laptop remains unprotected. Therefore, the built-in wi-fi module, installed in the service center will not cause problems. This solution though will be more expensive, but you will feel the comfort.
In order to turn on the external wi-fi adapter, you need to press a special button located on the body.
Enabling Wi-Fi in Windows
If you have done the above methods, but failed to connect to Wi-Fi, do the following: go to the menu “Start”. “Control Panel”. “Network and Internet”. “Network and Sharing Center”. On the left, click on the item: “Change adapter settings”.
Right-click on: “Wireless network connection” and select “Enable”.
If there is no such item, and there is “Disable”, it means that Wi-Fi in Windows is enabled.
After that Wi-Fi should work, but if it did not help, or there is some kind of error, or the network with that name does not exist, the question arises: “How to enable WI-FI on a laptop then?”. Read more!
If our laptop can not automatically connect to the correct network, then the problem may lie in the fact that the signal receiver device is disabled in the Device Manager. I will now show you how to fix this in Windows 7.
Go to the “Start” menu, right-click on your computer and select “Properties”.
In the window that will open, click on the left “Device Manager”.
From here you can see: what components in the laptop, you can control. activate or deactivate the necessary device. Find one that has the word Wireless in its name. Right click on it and select the item “Enable”.
By the way, if next to the service icon is a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark, this means that the laptop does not have a driver for this device. In this situation, use another device (computer, laptop, netbook, tablet, etc.).д.) through which you download the drivers for Wi-Fi-ai, transfer to the laptop and install them.
The problems and their solution
For many users, despite performing all the above items, access to the Internet via such a Wi-Fi connection does not work. Here are a few possible ways to fix this and get to the bottom of it.
- Try to disable Wi-Fi sharing (the command just pointed out), then disable Internet connection (the one we allowed to share). Then re-enable them in order: first the Wi-Fi sharing (with netsh wlan start hostednetwork command, the other commands before are not needed), then the Internet connection.
- After you start distributing Wi-Fi you will have a new wireless connection in the list of network connections. Right click on it and click on “Details” (Status. Details). Check to see if the IPv4 Address and Subnet Mask are listed there. If not, then specify it manually in the connection properties (you can get it from the screenshot). Similarly, if you have problems connecting other devices to the network you are sharing, you can use a static IP in the same address space, such as 192.168.173.5.
- Many anti-virus firewalls block Internet Connection Sharing by default. To see if this is the cause of the problems with Wi-Fi distribution, you can temporarily disable the firewall and if the problem disappears, start looking for the appropriate setting.
- Some users enable sharing for the wrong connection. It should be turned on for the connection you use to access the internet. For example, if you have a local network connection, and Beeline L2TP or Rostelecom PPPoE is running for the Internet, then you need to share access for the latter two.
- Check that the Windows service “Internet Connection Sharing” is enabled.
I think you will be fine. All of the above has just been tested in a bundle: computer with Windows 10 Pro and Atheros Wi-Fi adapter, connected iOS 8 devices.4 and Android 5.1.1.
Additionally: Wi-Fi sharing with additional features (e.g. automatic sharing at login) in Windows 10 is promised by Connectify Hotspot, besides that, in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев to my previous article on the subject (see. How to give out Wi-Fi from the laptop), some people have a free program MyPublicWiFi.
Check the possibility of the distribution
First of all, run the command line as an administrator (right click on the start button in Windows 10, and then select the appropriate item) and enter the command netsh wlan show drivers
In the command line window, you should see information about the Wi-Fi adapter driver you are using and the technologies it supports. We are interested in the “Hosted Network Support” item. If it says “Yes”, you can continue.
If there is no support for the posted network, you should first update the drivers on the Wi-Fi adapter, preferably from the official website of the laptop manufacturer or the adapter itself, and then repeat the test.
In some cases it may help to roll back the driver to the previous version. To do this, go to Windows 10 Device Manager (you can right-click on the “Start” button), under “Network adapters” find the desired device, right-click on it. properties. tab “Driver”. “Rollback”.
Again, double-check that the posted network is supported: if it is not, all other actions will lead to no result.
No WI-FI wireless icon
In order to connect to a Wi-Fi network you must have an appropriate receiving device (such as a network adapter) that is compatible with the transmitting device (such as a router).
When starting your laptop, you should be able to view detected networks by clicking the wireless network icon. It happens that the icon is not displayed. gone. Why?
If you are using a mobile device, you must first find out if it is in airplane mode, which disables the ability to communicate.
If you still do not see the wireless icon after starting the device in standard mode, check if the network card is running.
In laptops, it is started with a special switch (on the case) and through a combination of function keys.
If rebooting the network card did not work, check that the drivers are up to date.
To do this, launch Device Manager (Control Panel → Hardware and Sound → Device Manager), select “Network adapters”, open the “Properties” and run the appropriate settings.
Installing the driver manually
If after you have downloaded the software for your wireless network adapter you found in the downloads a zip-archive with lots of not quite clear files, or among the downloads there is no executable file.exe, you will most likely need to install the driver manually. Below we give a step by step instruction on how exactly this can be done.
- Extract all the files from the downloaded archive and move them to the same folder, giving it any name you find most convenient and understandable.
- Run Windows Device Manager.
- Select the network adapter that does not have a driver or does not work properly.
- Open the context menu (right-click) and select Delete. This procedure will remove the existing driver and help to avoid conflicts between the old and new software during the manual installation procedure.
- Select the target adapter again, right-click on it and select “Update drivers”.
- Among the two actions offered, select “Search for drivers on this computer”.
- The system will prompt you for a specific location in the Windows file system for driver searching. Specify the folder created several steps earlier so that the system could install the software by itself.
After installing any of these component upgrades, it is advisable to restart the computer. This will help to set up the system in an optimal way to activate hardware that has been disabled. In case of incompatible software versions or malfunctioning hardware can be disabled by Windows itself and will run only after rebooting.
The main recommendation when downloading and installing software for the network adapter and any other hardware in your laptop is to go either to the manufacturer’s website or to the most reliable and trusted sources. This will save a lot of time and get you the most efficient PC operation as a result. The installation process itself can be manual or automatic, but using the instructions here will make it simple and straightforward.