Blinking image on the screen: noise and interference
Use the buttons on the remote control to bring up the TV setup system menu. Pay attention to the interference and blinking: do they distort the menu that appears?? If not, then the problem is in the connection of the TV to the current video output or in the device that transmits the image to the screen. If the noise and interference also affect the system menu, then the TV itself is defective, and you need to look for the problem in it.
TV connected to your computer as a monitor
If you connect your Samsung TV to a computer (or a TV set-top box) via VGA or HDMI cable as a monitor, you may observe screen flickering and noise. This could indicate faulty plugs, inputs, or the cable itself. Check the cord to the monitor and the connection to the computer or set top box. To do this, remove the cable plug from the socket and insert it again.
In order to make sure that the problem is exactly connected with the serviceability of the video cable input, use any other interface different from your current one (you can connect via VGA, HDMI and DVI inputs if you have them). In some cases, there may be a problem with the computer itself (motherboard, video card, etc.).д.)
The TV is connected to the TV tuner
Similar symptoms (noise and screen flickering) can be observed when connecting the TV to the TV tuner using component cable, Scart or HDMI connection.
Check if the blinking image is caused by the TV tuner or satellite dish. If the cables and jacks are intact, an unstable picture can indicate that the receiver is not properly tuned, or that the satellite dish is turned in the wrong direction (in this case the noise and flickering image may not appear on all channels). To solve this problem, do the following:
- Rescan the available channels in the TV tuner settings. Make sure that the scan is performed using all available satellites.
- For satellite dish problems, check the angle of the dish using the satellite service provider’s website (or simply turn the dish the way your neighbor’s dish is turned).
- Check for connection problems on the ISP side. Notifications of upcoming preventive and repair work usually appear on the official website. You can also call the hotline for details.
- Check if the satellite dish and tuner work properly. If possible, check if the picture flickers when connected to another TV.
Abnormal sounds when the TV does not work and there is no indication
Sometimes TV owners find that they hear clicks or other noises inside. Symptoms can vary:
The most common causes of clicks in TVs are:
- The locking system has been triggered. If certain types of faults occur (power supply or other units), the safety function is activated. It’s designed to prevent a more serious malfunction. It is the interlock that makes the characteristic clicks when the TV tries to turn on.
- The heating and cooling of the plastic parts of the body. So, even a functioning TV can click.
- The signal of the activated (not used for a long time) operating mode on the selected source. Televisions may beep or whistle.
- Excessive load on the power supply. The cause could be a transformer, a chip or transistors. In this case the TV set doesn‘t turn on at all. Without a qualified technician you can’t do anything.
Unstable operation of the indicator
Blinking LED on the Samung is a sign of an unstable battery of the device or malfunction in the power supply. The cause must be sought in the socket or in the cable that connects TV with the current source: such mechanical damages can be easily noticed even by a person far from the repair of electrical equipment.
Blinking LED indicates a malfunctioning power supply, which is hidden inside the case. In this case, do not try to disassemble the TV receiver yourself, because you will still not be able to replace, for example, a non-functional transistor or capacitor, located on the motherboard.
Types of malfunctions
Before you start diagnosing and searching for the causes of blinking TV, it’s worth understanding exactly how the picture is distorted:
- Only when watching channels. You can check it by switching from TV to video input or viewing files (photos).
- When connecting peripheral devices. Channels are transmitted with good image quality, but when you connect a smartphone, camera, flash drive or DVD there are failures.
- Constant blinking of TV screen regardless of the signal source.
The last problem is the most difficult to “cure”. It is often associated with failures in the framing in kinescope (old) TVs, errors in the power supply board or improper antenna setup.
Interesting fact. Plasma panels are distinguished by the stability of the picture. That’s why they rarely encounter the problem of poor picture quality. If such a TV blinks, the error is most likely due to external factors. It is worth checking the cable, antenna, receiver.
Professional help is needed
The average user can cope with only those problems that do not require opening the box, but you must understand that trying to fix the motherboard alone can lead to total failure of the device. You’ll need professional help if:
- Samsung screen does not light up either with remote control or with the buttons located on the device itself, but wires are intact.
- Display shows no sign of life although special power supply light turns green. It is possible that the problem is in the circuit board, and only a specialist will be able to check the correctness of the current flowing to it, or to identify some other failure.
- The LED lights up alternately green and red, which usually indicates a failure in the power supply system. A transistor or power adapter will need to be replaced.
There are also other causes of malfunction of your TV, to find out which will be engaged in an experienced master, and in order not to make the situation worse, it is recommended to contact immediately the Samsung service center.
The main malfunctions associated with the inability to turn on the TV can be divided into four categories:
- Power LED is on or flashing, but the unit does not respond to the power button.
- The LED on the unit is red, but it does not respond to any buttons.
- No LED on, TV set won’t turn on.
- The TV starts making abnormal noises and does not turn on when you try to turn it on.
Despite the fact that most types of such equipment have a different design (namely, LCD, plasma or electron-beam), due to design differences they may also differ in size. But the problems listed above and their solutions can be applied to any type of device.
All modern Samsung TVs can be used as a computer monitor, game console, etc.д. For this purpose the TV set is switched to AV mode, which allows it to process a video signal via HDMI-cable. If the TV indicator on the front panel turns green when you turn on the TV, and then a few seconds later turns orange (or another color), the TV may be in AV mode. No signal from the connected HDMI cable will cause the screen to simply not turn on. The solution is simply to unplug the HDMI and plug in the TV cable. The TV will automatically switch to channel playback mode.
Most likely, this “behavior” of the indicator signals the presence of a problem in one of the key modules of the TV, most often in the power supply unit. Modern receivers have an auto-lock function (not to be confused with the tamper-proof) at the hardware level, which is triggered when a power supply or other electronic component malfunctions.
Such “behavior” of the indicator suggests that the electricity is supplied to the main control board only for a short time, and then shuts down due to a deviation of voltage, frequency and/or current from the standard value.
Restart the TV
When the above solutions have not eliminated the problem on the device, try the last method before requesting a professional service. Resetting TV will erase all the settings, erase the data and get rid of errors and malfunctions. This will probably resolve the black screen error the user is experiencing on the Samsung Smart TV. To reset your TV, follow these steps:
- Press the menu button on the remote control.
- In the main menu, press “Settings” and “Enter” on the remote control.
- Enter “Support” and press “Enter”.
- They click on the support option, such as “black screen Samsung“.
- Select the self-diagnostic option and press “Enter”.
- Select “Reset” on the self-diagnosis page and press “Enter”.
- After selecting the “Reset” option will be prompted to enter the PIN code. If it was changed while configuring TV, type in the correct one and press “Enter”. Otherwise the manufacturer’s PIN-code is “0000”.
- After that TV will boot up.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to configure the TV.
- After this procedure, perhaps the solution to this black screen error will be found. However, if the problem is not solved, the user can turn for technical help to the specialized website of the manufacturer.
Very often the TV sets break down because of power surges, lightning strikes during thunderstorms or frequent power cuts. This occurs because the devices are connected directly to the mains and sudden voltage drop affects their performance. To avoid this, you need to connect the receiver to the mains through a stabilizer, UPS, or, if you don’t have such devices, at least through a surge protector. In case of electrical problems, this measure will save the TV from damage.
Samsung TV won’t turn on blinking red light (explained fix) #18
So, if the TV does not turn on, there may be many reasons. In some cases the problems can be eliminated on site by the user, in other situations the qualified help of specialists from the service center will be required. To understand what exactly happened to the TV receiver, the power indicator will help. You can reliably determine the cause in most cases by the way it performs. lights up, blinks, or doesn‘t light up at all.