The flash drive says: “Insert the drive into the device,” what to do.
Some users encounter that after connecting the removable USB device to the computer, the flash drive writes: “insert drive into device”. In this case, the USB drive is displayed in Explorer, but the user cannot access the information placed on the removable flash drive.
- The user inserts the USB drive into the appropriate slot on the computer.
- Then opens Explorer, sees the removable disk icon, clicks on it to access the contents of the flash drive.
- In the “Insert disk” window, the operating system asks to insert the disk into the device.
- In Windows Explorer window the connected flash drive is displayed, but total size and amount of free disk space is not indicated under the name of USB drive.
- Malfunction of the removable drive hardware or mechanical damage.
- Malfunction due to virus infection.
- Drivers failed.
- File system error or damaged partition structure on the flash drive.
In most cases you will lose all the data on the USB stick while trying to solve the “USB flash drive error: insert the drive into the device” problem. The USB drive will be formatted, which deletes all files. In order to try to recover the lost information, before performing the formatting, use special software designed for data recovery.
How to open USB flash drive if it is not displayed?
To activate it: plug it into one of the free USB slots on your PC. Wait until the system detects the device. After the flash card is detected, a dialog box will open with “Open current folder”.
Resolve the error: USB flash drive doesn’t work, insert the drive into the device
Built-in Windows system utilities Using the built-in utilities of the Windows operating system, in most cases is undoubtedly justified! Well let’s take a look at the built-in Windows system utilities in order: 11 pieces. things you need to know about! 11 tools
The best free programs In this article we will consider 14 most useful and absolutely free programs that every user will definitely need! About these and many other (in the article provides useful links) programs just need to know in order to fully enjoy personal software (computer) for every day. 14 pieces!
Seven sites where you can safely download free programs In this short, but very very useful review, take a closer look at seven useful sites where you can easily find and download free programs, and very importantly. is absolutely safe!
flash drive formatting
The banal formatting of flash drives can help in a situation where Windows does not see the external drive and popped up a prompt “insert the drive into the device.
To format the disk, we do so:
a) Open Win E explorer. Go to My Computer.
b) put the cursor on the desired drive (picture below) and double right-click on the USB drive.
c) context menu will open, you need to format it (learn more about how to format USB flash drive to FAT32 or NTFS from the command line).
In the next window (picture below) select the file system as shown in the picture and start formatting.
Note! Usually in such cases (and it is logical, because the operating system does not see the external drive) in the column “Capacity” is reported “Capacity unknown”, it is normal!
After the formatting process is complete. usually the flash drive error is corrected and you can safely use it again.
Yandex Disk: adjusting file folder location. freeing the system disk C
all articles: Sergey Kroll ATs owner, author of website COMPLITRA.RU. web developer studio ATs media. I’ve been doing web development with WordPress since 2007. Mainly working with WordPress in the studio ATs media
If all of the previously described did not work, and the flash drive does not work on other computers, you may be useful for another article: Software to repair flash drives (Kingston, Transcend, Sandisk, Silicon Power and others).
The flash drive is not detected due to malfunction
The reason why your computer stops seeing the flash drive is not always fixable. You can determine the USB fault through the Device Manager:
- Go to the “Start” menu and in the search box, type “Device Manager”.
- In the menu that appears, you need to select the “Disk devices” category.
- The subcategory will open and connected drives will appear.
- If the stick does not appear in the list, you need to insert it into another computer device or laptop. The situation has not changed? This means that the USB device has a burned controller and can not be repaired.
You can safely send the flash drive to the trash or try to recover some of the information stored on it in the service center.
Solution: The flash drive does not work, insert the drive into the device. 1 way
In some cases a simple formatting of USB flash drive helps. These actions can be performed from the Windows file manager explorer window.
Under “Capacity:” it says “Capacity unknown”, this is normal for such cases. You can assign a suitable name for the flash drive in the field “Volume Label:”.
As a result of this operation, USB-stick will be available for further use in normal mode.
But, often happens in a different way: in the window with information about formatting will be written: “Windows fails to complete formatting”.
In this case, you need to try other methods to recover the stick.
The solution: does not see the flash drive, insert the drive into the device. 2 way
One option is to use the Disk Management snap-in, a system tool designed for working with disks on your computer.
- Press “Win” “R”.
- In the “Open:” field of the “Run” dialog box, type the command: “diskmgmt.msc” (without the quotes).
- Press the “Enter” key.
- In the window of the system tool “Disk Management” displays all the disks of this computer.
- Find your removable device.
It is quite possible that this disk has unallocated space. That is why it will say “Unallocated”.
- Right-click on that disk (flash drive).
- In the context menu, click on “Create Simple Volume”.
- In the “Simple Volume Wizard” window, click “Next”.
- In the “Format partition” window select the file system (FAT32 or NTFS), if necessary, assign a volume label (the name under which this USB drive will be displayed in Explorer) for the flash drive.
In the “Disk Management” window will appear removable USB-drive with an assigned name and a new file system.
The Windows Explorer window displays the USB drive with the available disk space on the drive.
Other ways to fix the “insert disk into device” error when connecting a USB flash drive
In the case where the described simple methods do not lead to any result, then you can try to revive the flash drive by the following methods:
– We are talking about “software” repair, pay special attention to the last section of the article, which describes the way to find software specifically for your drive. Also, it is in the context of “Insert Disk” for the flash drive often helps program JetFlash Online Recovery (it is for Transcend, but works with many other drives) given there Completely erase all information from the drive, and clear all memory sectors, including the boot sectors and file system tables.
And finally, if none of the proposed options help, and you can not find additional ways to fix the “insert the drive into the device” error (while working). you may need to replace the drive. Free Data Recovery Software may also be useful (you can try to recover the information you had on your flash drive, but in the case of hardware malfunctions you will most likely not be able to).