In most cases the damage happens after mechanical impact on the gadget. drop or bump.
- If you have a call on iPhone 6 and you cannot hear the person on the other end of the line, make sure you did not drop your phone and leave it out in the sun. The components of the board can be seriously damaged by overheating and cease to perform their functions.
- Sound is also lost after getting liquid inside the smartphone. iPhone 6 speaker is protected by thin wire mesh, which does not protect speaker from water.
It is better to eliminate hardware malfunctions in the official service centers.
Important! The device will not be covered by warranty in case of liquid penetration.
The problem can be solved by resetting the network settings. It will delete passwords from saved Wi-Fi networks, their settings, cellular settings, DNS, etc.д. Write down the passwords beforehand, so that you can enter them again later.
- Select Reset Network Settings and confirm your decision.
Your iPhone will automatically restart. You will need to re-connect to Wi-Fi and re-enter passwords.
In most cases, damage occurs after physical impact on the gadget body. drop or bump.
- If you cannot hear the other party during a call on your iPhone 6, make sure that you have not dropped your iPhone and that you have not been exposed to the sun for a long time. The components of the board can be severely damaged by overheating and stop working.
- The sound is also lost after getting liquid inside the smartphone. In the iPhone 6 sound module is protected by a thin mesh, which does not save the speaker from water.
Hardware defects are best resolved at authorized service centers.
Important! Liquid spilled inside the device voids your warranty.
Indeed, in most cases the headphones or speaker on the iPhone do not work due to incorrect settings of the smartphone. Let’s look at the most common reasons:
You have activated Silent mode
You may have accidentally pressed the switch on the left side of your iPhone. The red marking indicates that the sound is muted. You will hear again if you flip the switch to the default position.
Incorrectly set alerts
If your music or videos play without a problem, but your phone remains silent during calls, your notification settings are incorrect. It is easy to edit the settings. go to “Sounds” and deactivate the “Change Button” option. The bar above will allow you to set the volume you want. If you prefer to change volume while using phone directly, activate “Change volume with buttons”.
You notice that your iPhone is muted after connecting a Bluetooth speaker? Most likely, this is where the audio track is transferred now. Open the control panel and activate the “On Airplane” mode. This way you will break the connection with the wireless devices. Next, go to Bluetooth and turn it off or disconnect from the device which is transmitting sound. The final chord is to bring up the control to disable air mode.
There was a system failure
If your iPhone does not see the headphones or does not play sound through the speaker, it could be an iOS failure. Reboot your mobile device. If rebooting did not help, it’s time to use the “heavy artillery”. try to recover the device. Backup to iCloud and go!
- Silent mode is on. Check to see if you have set your device to “Do Not Disturb” mode (the button on the side, on the case). If you do not hear only the ringtone, this is most likely the problem. Also check to see if you have mute with the volume keys. then you won’t hear anything at all, including when talking.
- Incorrect settings. Try going to “Settings” “General” “Universal Access” “Audio Visual Material. Pay attention to the “mono audio” item, especially if the left speaker does not work on the iPhone 7 model. Activate this feature with the slider, and you will immediately notice that there is sound now not only in the upper speaker, but also in the lower one.
- Audio devices connected. When the speaker suddenly stops working, it’s worth checking if there are any audio playback devices connected to it: speakers, headphones, multimedia system, stereo, etc. п. In this age of wireless gadgets, it’s easy to forget that, because two speakers won’t be working at the same time. Try disabling Bluetooth and Wi-Fi to cut off the connection to the foreign device for sure.
- System malfunction. Very often small debris and dust get clogged up in the headphone jacks and “confuse” the system, which interprets foreign objects as a device. This often happens on iPhone 6, iPhone 11, iPhone XR, where there are rather large openings for devices and not very subtle recognition system. Take something sharp, but not metal, such as a canapé skewer, and clean the dents (do not use any detergents). If you are a frequent guest on suspicious sites, and you download something from there, the virus downloaded inadvertently can “eat” files of audio libraries, necessary for reading audio extensions. Reset the device to default settings.
- Broken speaker. If you hear noises, the speaker is quiet, you can hardly hear the other party, the membrane may have malfunctioned. Shaking the phone vigorously, getting it in contact with water, juice, tea or coffee, or hitting it against any surface (sometimes even a soft surface) contributes to this. In this case, you’ll have to call in a specialist to take the gadget apart and see what happened.
- Sound card loop breakage. It is the cable that connects the circuit board to the speaker, it is very sensitive to all kinds of influences and is one of the most vulnerable components of the iPhone. It is also changed in the workshop.
If you still have an active warranty you can also write to Apple Support and ask why the sound is not working. Perhaps from the description of the problem they will understand what it is and advise how to fix it.
Restarting the device
If you have a question why there is no sound on your iPhone, the first thing to do is to reset it. Software bugs are a common problem, causing slowdowns in some applications and often causing difficulties playing multimedia files. Disappearing of sound could be the result of an error. There is a very simple solution to the problem. reset the device. During reboot, its cache is cleared, temporary files are erased, and then the shell turns on again. If there were errors in the system or individual apps, they should not happen again.
You will most likely get loud and clear sound after resetting.
Sometimes the sound on iPhone 5s doesn’t disappear completely, but just reduces its volume. Solves the problem in the same way. If you have already restarted the device several times in a row and still have no results, then try other methods, which we will talk about next.
- Open “Settings” and go to “Sound”. Note that in some versions of Android the menu may look different from the one in the screenshots.
- In the section that opens set the ringtones, alarms, ringing tones, etc.д. Adjust the volume to the desired level using the sliders.
Open “Settings”. Tap “Sounds, Haptic Signals” (on supported models) or “Sounds” (on other iPhone models), then tap “Headphone Security. Turn on “Mute Loud Sounds,” then drag the slider to select the maximum volume level on your headphones.
Common ways to fix a non-functioning iPhone speaker
Before contacting technical support, you can try the solutions and basic troubleshooting below.
Check the Quiet Mode button.
The iPhone has a special button to enable silent mode, which is located next to the volume buttons. If you turn it on by accident, the iPhone speaker will not work. Check the Quiet Mode button. And if you see a red marker, silent mode is on. To turn it off, all you have to do is flip the switch to put your phone in general mode. When you press the call/mute switch, you can get a notification on your iPhone screen.
Call someone using the iPhone speaker
Calling someone using your phone’s speaker. is a simple test to see if the speaker part is damaged or not. Go to the Contacts app and call someone you know. Then tap the speaker icon on the screen. If you hear a ringing sound or some other sound, it means that a software factor is responsible for the problem of the iPhone speaker not working. And you can try other solutions to fix it.
Increase the volume manually or with Siri.
As I said before, if you adjust the volume too low, you won’t hear the sound on your phone. And there are three ways to turn up the volume on your iPhone. There’s another way to turn up the volume using Siri. You simply ask Siri to “Turn up the volume.”.
Tap the “Volume Up” button on the sidebar of your iPhone. Then you can see a volume adjustment prompt on the screen.
Go to “Settings” “Sounds” and move the “Volume” slider to the right to turn it on.
If the speaker stops working in a particular application, such as a multimedia application, you can go to the application and reset the volume.
Reboot iPhone or enter DFU mode
Restarting your iPhone may solve the iPhone‘s non-functioning speaker problem caused by overloaded apps in the background.
Hold down the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time until the screen goes black and then the Apple logo appears.
If you are using an iPhone 7, the method is to press the Volume Down and Sleep/Wake buttons.
Make sure iPhone is not in headphone mode
You may find that the iPhone speaker sometimes does not work after removing the headphones. Although the headphones are not connected, your iPhone is still playing sounds in headphone mode.
As for the case, you can use a flashlight, examine your lightning port or headphone jack for the headphone jack. You can also press the volume button on the left side of your iPhone to check the notification.
iPhone Speaker Sounds Muffled? An Apple Tech’s Fix!
This is more likely if you’re using third-party headphones or the headphone jack is dirty. The solution is to clean the iPhone headphone jack with a hair dryer. And you can try plugging in your headphones and then unplugging them again until your iPhone figures out what you want.
Check AirPlay and Bluetooth
Apple integrates several wireless connection methods into the iPhone, such as Bluetooth and AirPlay. The former could connect to any Bluetooth speakers or digital devices that support Bluetooth. And the latter is able to establish a connection with the Apple TV. If you turn any of these on, it’s possible that sound from your iPhone is playing through external devices.
To resolve that the iPhone speaker is not working, you can do the following.
Step 1 Swipe up on any screen to open “Control Center”. Then tap the “Bluetooth” icon to turn it off if it works.
Step 2 Also tap the “AirPlay” option in the “Control Center” and see if it’s connected to any device. If it is connected, cut the connection to get the sound back on the iPhone.
Fix or change the iPhone Speaker component
Another reason why the iPhone speaker does not work. It is a component of the iPhone. As for the case, you should repair the component or ask Apple service. If you are familiar with iPhone, you can check the tutorial online to replace the iPhone speaker component.
Of course, you can also use Plus, which is an iPhone repair service that can fix the iPhone speaker component within 30 minutes. You can check the available location for the service, then you can enjoy a lifetime warranty.
No sound on incoming call on iPhone. Do Not Disturb mode activated If your iPhone ringtone has stopped ringing, check to see if Do Not Disturb mode is activated If you see a half-moon icon at the top of the screen, it means that you have Do Not Disturb mode activated, which turns off all sound notifications.
Open “Settings”. Tap “Sounds, Tactile Cues” (on supported models) or “Sounds” (on other iPhone models), then tap “Headphone Security. Turn “Mute Loud Sounds” on, then drag the slider to select the maximum volume level for the headphones.