What to do if Wi-Fi does not work on a laptop at Windows 7/8/10
This is what we will understand in this article. Most of the problems can be solved independently, and if you read to the end and 99% of the reasons you can fix there, I still recorded where some points can be seen clearly.
In general, the source of the problem can be either a router or a laptop. The easiest way to find out is to connect to the Internet from another device, for example, from a smartphone, tablet or other laptop. If it does not connect via wai fay (or not the Internet), then everything is clear. We will dig in the direction of the router. If it works on the phone, but there is no laptop on the laptop. Then the reason is in the laptop, but there may simply be inappropriate router settings.
How to turn on Wi-Fi on a laptop
Not on all laptops, the wireless network module is included by default: in some cases, it is necessary to perform certain actions so that it works. It is worth noting that everything described in this section is completely applicable only if you did not reinstall Windows, replacing the one that was installed by the manufacturer. If you did this, then part of what is written now may not work, in this case. Read the article further, I will try to take into account all the options.
Turning on Wi-Fi using keys and hardware switch
On many laptops in order to enable the ability to connect to wireless Wi-Fi networks, you need to press the key combination, one key or use a hardware switch.
In the first case, the Wi-Fi includes either just a functional key on a laptop, or a combination of two keys-FN Wi-Fi Turning Babs (may have an image of a Wi-Fi emblem, radio antennas, aircraft).
In the second-just a “inclusive”-“turned off” switch, which can be in different places of the computer and look different (an example of such a switch you can see in the photo below).
As for the functional keys on the laptop to include a wireless network, it is important to understand one nuance: if you reinstalled Windows on a laptop (or have been updated, reset) and did not worry the installation of all official drivers from the manufacturer’s website (and took advantage The assembly of Windows, which allegedly sets all the drivers), these keys will most likely not work, which can lead to the impossibility of turning on Wi-Fi.
Iphone Hotspot Not Connecting to Laptop [fix it]
To find out whether it is the case. Try to use other actions provided for by the upper keys on your laptop (only consider that the volume and brightness can work without drivers in Windows 10 and 8). If they also do not work, apparently the reason for just functional keys, detailed instructions here: FN key on the laptop does not work.
Usually, not even drivers are required, but special utilities available on the official website of the laptop manufacturer and are responsible for the operation of specific equipment (which include functional keys), such as HP Software Framework and HP UEFI SUPPORT ENVIRONMENT for Pavilion, Atkacpi Driver and Hotkey for ASUS laptops, a functional key utility and Enaergy Management for Lenovo and others. If you do not know what exactly the utility or the driver is required, look on the Internet about this in relation to your laptop model (or inform the model in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев, I will try to answer).
Inclusion of a wireless network in Windows 10, 8 and Windows 7 operating systems
In addition to turning on the laptop’s Wi-Fi adapter, it may be required to include it in the operating system. Let’s see how the wireless network includes in Windows latest versions. Also, on this topic, there may be useful instructions that there are no available Wi-Fi connections to Windows.
In Windows 10, click on the network connection icon in the notifications and check to ensure that the Wi-Fi button is turned on, and the button responsible for the “on the plane” mode is turned off.
In addition, in the latest version of the OS, turning on and off the wireless network is available in parameters-the network and the Internet-Wi-Fi.
If these simple points do not help, I recommend more detailed instructions for this version of the OS from Microsoft: Wi-Fi does not work in Windows 10 (but the options set forth in the current material may also be useful).
In Windows 7 (however, this can be done in Windows 10) go to the network control center and total access (see. How to go to the networks of networks and total access to Windows 10), select the “Change of Adapter Parameters” item on the left (you can also press the Win R keys and enter the NCPA command.CPL to get into the list of connections) and pay attention to the wireless network icon (if it is not there, then you can skip this section of the instructions and go to the next, about installing drivers). If the wireless network is “disabled” (gray), click on the icon with the right mouse button and click “Turn on”.
In Windows 8, it is best to go as follows and perform two actions (t.To. Two settings, according to observations, can work independently of each other. In one place on, in another. Turned off):
- Select “Parameters”. “Changing of the computer parameters” in the right panel, then select “Wireless Network” and make sure that it is turned on.
- Perform all the actions that are described for Windows 7, t.E. Make sure that the wireless connection is included in the connection list.
Another action that may be needed for laptops with a pre.Installed Windows OS (regardless of the version): Launch a program for managing wireless networks from the laptop manufacturer. Almost every laptop with a pre-installed operating system has a program that contains Wireless or Wi-Fi in the name. In it you can also switch the condition of the adapter. This program can be found in the Start menu or “All Programs”, and it can also add a shortcut to the Windows control panel.
The last scenario. You reinstalled Windows, but did not install the driver from the official site. Even if the Wi-Fi drivers were installed automatically when installing Windows, or you put them using the driver, and in the device dispatcher shows “The device works normally”-go to the official website and take the drivers from there-in the vast majority of cases, this solves the problem.
Checking a network connection on a local network (Ethernet)
If the first option is not suitable for your situation, I recommend that you follow the following steps to check the Internet:
- Go to Windows connection, for this you can press the Winr keyboard key, enter NCPA.CPL and press Enter.
- If the connection status is “disabled” (gray icon), click on it with the right mouse button and select “Connect” the item.
- If the status of the unidentified network connection, see the instructions “Unidentified Windows 7” and “Unidentified Windows 10”.
- If you see a message that the network cable is not connected. Perhaps it is really not connected or connected poorly from the network card or router. It can also be problems on the part of the provider (provided that the router is not used) or a router malfunction.
- If the list does not have an Ethernet connection (connection on a local network), with a high probability you will come in handy for the installation of network drivers of the network card further in the instructions.
- If the connection status is “normal” and the name of the network is displayed (network 1, 2, etc.D. Or the name of the network specified on the router), but the Internet still does not work, we try the steps described later.
Let us dwell on paragraph 6. The connection on the local network shows that everything is fine (inclusive, there is a network name), but there is no Internet (this may accompany the message “without access to the Internet” and the yellow exclamation mark next to the notification connection icon).
Remove the wireless Wi-Fi adapter from the device manager, install it again
In order to start the Windows dispatcher, press Winr keys on the laptop keyboard and enter the command DEVMGMT.MSC, and then click OK or Enter.
In the devices dispatcher, open the “Network Adapters” section, click on the Wi-Fi as an adapter with the right mouse button, pay attention to if there is an “enable” item (if there is, turn on and do not do the rest that is described here, the inscription does not have any available connections disappear) and if it is not, select the item “Delete”.
After the device is removed from the system, in the menu of the devices dispatcher, select “Act”. “Update the equipment configuration”. The wireless adapter will be found again, drivers will be installed on it and, perhaps, everything will work.
Removing the adapter from the “Device Manager”
If you connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi Adapter, then one of the ways to solve the problem is to turn it off in the “Device Manager”, and then repeated activation.
Go to the “control panel” by the method that was considered when describing the method 2, and then open the “System and Safety” section.
What to do if the Internet does not work and does not turn on on a laptop
There are several useful recommendations with which you can solve the problem when there is no connection to the Internet on the laptop via Wi-Fi.
Inclusion of Wi-Fi
Wi-Fi indicator on the front panel will help to understand whether the wireless adapter is included
First you need to turn on the wireless adapter. On different models of laptops, this is done in various ways:
- Asus. On devices from this company to turn on Wi-Fi, you need to use the FN and F2 keys.
- Acer. In order for Wi-Fi to earn on modern models of Acer laptops, you need to pinch the FN key and without releasing it, press it on F3.
- Nr. Most modern NR models are equipped with a special touch button with the image of the antenna. After clicking on it, Wi-Fi will turn on.
- Lenovo. On Lenovo devices, it is quite easy to turn on a wireless adapter. To do this, just stick the F5 and FN keys.
- Samsung. The inclusion of the adapter on Samsung laptops largely depends on the characteristics of the model. For some, to turn on Wi-Fi, you need to press FN and F9, and on others FN and F12.
Important! After turning on Wi-Fi, the Internet should immediately appear on the laptop.
Personing to the network
Window with affordable connection points to a wireless network
If there is no Internet on a laptop via Wi-Fi, you can just try to recover to the network. In some cases, this helps to restore Internet access.
To connect again to the network, the following actions must be performed:
- Go to the “control panel”.
- In the window that opens, you need to select “Network and the Internet”, and then go to “Network Connections”. A window with connected adapters will appear on the screen. You need to click on the “Wireless Connection” icon and click on the “Turn on” submenu item.
- Find an access point. To do this, you need to click on the wi-fi icon on the screen at the bottom of the right corner on the screen. After that, a window should appear with a list of available networks for connecting. You need to select the right network and try to connect to it.
- Connect to the network. If the access point is decided to protect, then before connecting to the network there will be a window with a field for entering a password.
Additional Information! If the access point is not protected in any way, the password is not necessary.
Reboot the laptop
If the laptop is connected to Wi-Fi, but there is no Internet, just restart the laptop. There are several common restart methods:
- Through “Start”. To go to the “Start”, you need to click on the “Win” key. After that, you need to find the shutdown icon at the very bottom of the menu and click on it.
- Through Altf4. On the desktop you need to press these two keys, after which a small window will appear. In it you can choose a laptop restart option.
- Through the button on the laptop. All devices have a special shutdown button. By pressing it, you can restart the laptop.
Turning off antivirus programs
Sometimes the absence of the Internet is associated with the installation of antivirus programs. Some of them can block the Internet access. In this case, you will have to either remove the antivirus, or temporarily turn off.
Additional Information! It is recommended to establish antivirus programs that do not affect the work of the Internet.
Diagnosis of Windows faults
Diagnosis of malfunctions is one of the means of restoring the connection to the network
If the Internet does not work on a laptop via Wi-Fi although there is a connection, you can use the “malfunctions” built-in in Windows “diagnostics”. To use it, you need to click on the task panel with the right mouse button on the Internet connection icon and select “Diagnostics of malfunctions.
Most often, after diagnostics, reports of the following problems appear on the screen:
- The lock installed by default does not answer;
- Lack of protocols that are needed for normal network operation;
- Incorrectly configured network adapter parameters.
Lack of connection to the network due to malfunctions on the laptop
The first and easiest thing you can perform is simultaneously use the FN key in the lower left corner and connection to Wi-Fui on the computer. The latter can be on the side, but more often on one of the Bencies of the group F, it is easy to find on the antenna icon.
If after pressing the key combination several times, the device does not want to connect, we are looking for a problem in another. Sometimes an access error may occur due to the established antivirus program, which blocks all the appropriate connections to it. In this case, you need to temporarily turn off the antivirus and check the signal, if necessary, reload.
Interesting Vai Fai malfunction on a laptop:
Check the drivers
An example will be shown on a gadget with Windows 7, because it is considered more common, and in most cases interruptions with a wireless network are observed precisely on it. To verify the application, the user must click on the “My Computer” with the right mouse button, then press “Properties”, then “Device Manager”, then “Network Adapters”. In the picture we see programs, we need to choose Wireless Network Adapter, some have a different name.
If Wireless Network Adapter is absent in the list provided, then you need to go to the website of the model and download the desired program. If we see that the device is included, as it should, but the problems of the connection with Wi-Fi have not gone, then the matter is not in the driver, we try the next way.
Inclusion of Wi-Fi through the Networks Management Center
To configure Wi-Fi using the control center, you need to click on the communication icon, in the lower right corner. In the pop.Up window, the inscription “Center for Networks and General Access Management” appears below.
Now, in the left, upper corner, click “Change in the parameters of the adapter”.
If there is no connection, then this needs to be fixed, then a yellow star will appear on the network icon, which indicates the accessible connections and the normal functioning of the adapter.
If the wireless adapter is turned on, but it still does not succeed in eliminating the problem, the laptop does not see Wi-Fi when the adapter is turned on, the icon is still marked with a cross, we are looking for another reason.
Less often it happens that the device cannot connect to the router due to the disabled WLAN setting. To get into it, you need to click the combination of Winr buttons, after which the window pops up.
Enter a text that is visible in the Services screenshot in the field.MSC and confirm the action. Now local services are available to the user, in them he must choose and start the WLAN auto.Building service.
Often, at the time of connection, the “Windows error pops up to connect to (network name)”.
In some cases, “elimination of problems” helps to solve the situation automatically or describe the existing conflict, if this does not happen, it is worth looking for the problem further.
The network disappears when leaving the sleeping mode
With the fact that the laptop does not connect to the Wi-Fi network, owners of not only seven are faced, but also other operating systems. To eliminate the problem, it is recommended to deactivate the function “Resolving disconnecting this device to save electricity”. Why are we moving into “Start”, then to “My Computer”, then “Properties” and “Device Manager”.
In the pop.Up tab, click “Network Adapters”, then click the mouse on the “Wireless Networks Adapter”, select “Properties”.
The final stage is the choice of “power management”, removing the mark on “resolving the shutdown of this device to save electricity”, confirmation and reloading of the gadget.
How To Quickly Fix Your Internet Connection (Three Options Explored)
Lack of network connection after updating
As an existing malfunction, the following can be noted. Sometimes users change passwords or types of encryption, after which they do not know what to do and how to restore the connection to the hidden network, because before that everything happened automatically. To solve this problem, you should delete the existing network on the gadget and will connect to it again.
Removing is quite simple, you need to go to the “Networks and General Access Management Center” by clicking on the network icon on the right, in the lower corner, and then select the “Management of Wireless Networks” tab.
Problems with router settings
The downed settings of the router can also be the reason that the laptop does not connect to Wi-Fi. First of all, you should think about this if the computer does not see the network at all with the correctly installed adapter driver. Due to the fact that there are many different models of routers from different manufacturers using different firmware, to give a step-by-step instructions for eliminating problems with them in the article. But still there are several common points that can facilitate this task:
- In all modern routers there is a web-intake where you can configure their parameters;
- By default, the vast majority of these devices is installed as 192.168.One.One. To get into the router’s web-integer, it is enough to enter this address in the bariser line;
- For entering the web-integer manufacturers by default, the “Admin” login and the password “Admin” are usually placed.
If with these parameters it is not possible to connect to the page of the router parameters. Refer to the technical documentation of your device.
The contents of the router integration may look completely different. Therefore, in order to change its settings, you need to be clearly sure that you understand what you are doing. If there is no such confidence, it is better to contact a specialist.
So, what may there be problems in the settings of the router, because of which the laptop cannot connect to Wi-Fi?
Wireless connection is prohibited
Such a problem can happen to a home router, where the connection to the provider is carried out using a wired network and at the same time there is an opportunity to create a wireless access point through which you can connect a laptop, tablet or smartphone to the Internet. Consider how its configuration is carried out on the example of the Huawei HG532E router.
In order to check whether the Wi-Fi mode on the router is turned on, you must do the following:
- Connect to the web-integrate router via a wired network.
- Find in parameters a section responsible for setting up a wireless network. Most often it is designated as wlan.
- Check if there is a wireless shutdown function there and if it is disconnected, turn it on by putting a checkmark in the checkbox.
On a number of models of routers, turning on/off the wireless network can be carried out by pressing a special button on the case. But still, changing the setting through the web-integer is more reliable.
This function is present in routers in order to maximize users protection from an unauthorized connection to their home network. In the Huawei router, its configuration is also in the Wlan section, but on a separate tab. This example shows that the filtering mode is included and access to the network is allowed by one single device whose mass-adhes is indicated in Whitelist. Accordingly, in order to solve the problem with the connection, you need to either turn off the filtering mode by removing the Enable checkbox, or add your laptop wireless network to the permitted device of the adapter of the wireless network adapter.
DHCP server is disconnected
Typically, routers not only provide access to the Internet, but also simultaneously assign IP addresses to computers that are included in its network. This process takes place automatically and most users simply do not think about how different devices on the network see each other. Is responsible for this DHCP server. If suddenly it turns out to be disconnected, it will be impossible to connect to the network, even knowing the password. This problem is also solved in two.
- Assign to your computer a static address, for example 192.168.One.5. If the IP address of the router was previously changed, then accordingly, the computer should assign an address located in the same address space with a router. Actually, the problem will be solved on this, since the connection will be established. But in this case, this operation will have to be repeated for all devices that are connected to your network. In order not to do this, you should go to the second step.
- Connect with the router and allow dHCP. Its settings are in the section responsible for the local network. It is usually designated as LAN or this abbreviation is present in the name of the section. In the Huawei router, to turn it on, you just need to put a mark in the corresponding checkbox.
After that, all devices will again connect to the network without additional settings.
As you can see, the reasons why there may be no connection to Wi-Fi can be quite diverse. But this does not mean at all that you need to fall into despair. With the necessary knowledge, these problems can be easily solved.