How to change the edition of Windows 10 without reinstalling?
Quite often users and administrators have a question. is it possible to upgrade a junior edition of Windows 10 (for example, Home or Pro) to a more functional senior edition (for example, Pro or Enterprise, respectively). In this article, we will explore how to upgrade your Windows 10 edition without reinstalling the OS, keeping all installed programs, settings and documents. You can find out the current edition of Windows 10 using the following DISM command: DISM /online /Get-CurrentEdition
Our example uses Windows 10 Pro.
Now let’s display a list of editions to which you can upgrade your version of Windows 10:
Upgrading your operating system using the Windows Store
Consider how to upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro through the application store, developed by Microsoft to promote its own and third-party software products.
If you are sure of your intentions, there is no need to take part in testing the professional version of the operating system. Immediately proceed to the purchase of a license in the store and download the missing files, which transform the stripped release of the operating system to the Professional version. You can accomplish this in the following way.
Call “Settings” from Start, Win→X, the context menu of Start or any other convenient way.
Go to the last section of the new menu, called “Update and Security”.
Move to the “Activation” tab by simply clicking on its name.
Click the icon labeled “Go to Store”.
Carry out all the instructions listed above to pay for the required release of the operating system.
This will start downloading the files needed to upgrade the shell. Only those system documents will be affected, which are responsible for implementing the missing features, some of which were listed above. information on the differences between the 10 releases can be found on the Microsoft website.
All user information located on the system volume (that is the Desktop, the directory with the current user data and even the files and directories stored in the root of the system volume) will not be affected.
Once all operations are completed, your computer will restart (if not, perform a restart yourself) and the missing features on Windows 10 Home previously will be available.
How to Update Windows 10 Home to Pro
It may be necessary that you want to upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro (from Home to Professional) to take full advantage of the full version.
There are several ways to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro
- Upgrade key to Windows 10 Pro
- Reinstall your system with the installation disk for Windows 10 Pro
- Buying a digital license from the Microsoft Store
This article shows how to upgrade using the built-in method WITHOUT reinstalling the system with a key!
You can also try to use the common update key, for this you must first disable the Internet! Otherwise you will get error 0x803fa067 and will not be able to update your system!
- Click on the Internet icon. Select “Network and Internet Options”
- Click on “Configure Adapter Settings”
- Select your “Adapter” and click on “Disconnect Network Device”
Entering the key and start the update process
- After disconnecting the Internet, go to “Home”
- In the “Windows Settings” window, click on → “Updates and Security”
- Click on “Activate” in the left window of the “Updates and Security” list
- Next, click on “Change product key”
- Enter “Update Key” VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T and click on “Next”
- After that, you will be asked to close all applicationsClose all applications and click on “Begin”
- This will start the upgrade to the Professional version
- When the update is finished you will see an error: 0x80070005 Don’t worry! This should be the case!
- Restart your computer!
- Open: “Windows Settings” → “Update and Security” → “Activation” And you see that the Operating System has been updated “to Professional version”!
Now after the upgrade, you will need an activation key from Windows 10 Professional!
Upgrade Windows 10 to Enterprise edition
The Enterprise edition is often used by large corporations and business people because it includes the following additional features
- Direct Access. easy remote access to a PC.
- BranchCache is an improved system for downloading and installing updates.
- Credential Guard and Device Guard. applications that provide data security from malware and hacking.
Unfortunately, Microsoft does not sell keys to Enterprise edition to ordinary users. individuals. It offers to install Windows 7 Ultimate edition, which contains all the useful features of the Enterprise edition, but is still somewhat outdated compared to Windows 10.
Many people don’t know, but it’s possible to upgrade from Home or Pro to Enterprise edition in just a few minutes. You will need a product key to upgrade, but there is a loophole: you need a regular key, not a license key.
The process described here uses a KMS-key from the Mircosoft website. These publicly distributed keys are used in organizations with a centralized key management system installed. If you use the key outside of this system, Windows 10 will upgrade to Enterprise, but it will not be truly activated.
That is, if you had a licensed and activated Windows 10 Home or Pro, then, after applying the KMS-key, you will get an inactivated system and will constantly see an inscription saying that. But this is the only drawback, otherwise the OS will work as usual.
But if you have a Windows 10 Enterprise license key, once you enter it, the system will upgrade itself and activate.
So, to upgrade the Home or Pro edition to Enterprise, you need:
- Open Start menu and click on Settings.
- Select the Update and security option.
- Select the Activation action in the left list.
Here you will be asked to enter your product key. If you have a license key, just enter it, but if you do not, then use this KMS-key: NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43. Remember, this is not a licensed product key, the system will upgrade, but will not activate on Microsoft servers.
If you have a need to extend the functionality of Windows 10 Home, you can easily upgrade to Pro or Enterprise editions in different ways, either for money or for free.
If you have purchased a new computer with Windows 10 Home preinstalled, you may encounter some unpleasant features of this edition. This is a stripped-down version that lacks many of the features you really need: access to the remote desktop server, BitLocker disk encryption, support for group policies, control over the installation of updates, etc.
Sure, you can pay about 100 to upgrade to Pro, but you can get by with a more economical option.
Do you have an old Windows 7 Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 8/8 1 Pro key lost somewhere?1 Pro? These keys can be reused to activate an upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro at no extra cost. In fact, you can use a product key from any of these versions of Windows to perform a clean install or upgrade to Pro.
So, it makes sense to rummage through your email archives or hidden corners of your hard drive to find one of your old keys. You may even have a Windows 8 Pro key left over at a very affordable price when Microsoft introduced big discounts due to the product’s failed launch in 2012.
Maybe you still have the boxed version of Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, the license of which you no longer use?
It’s important to clarify that the old product key will only need to be applied once. After upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Pro, your digital license will be tied to specific hardware on your computer. With digital tethering, you’ll be able to reinstall Windows 10 Pro on your PC any number of times without having to enter your product key.
How to Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro
The new feature first appeared in Windows 10 version 1511. The tethering process has been greatly simplified since then.
Upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Pro
Suppose you purchased a new computer with a pre-installed OEM version of Windows 10. Some vendors offer the upgrade option as part of the purchase, but many PCs are sold in the retail channel with the Home edition pre-loaded.
If you have an older device running Windows 7 or Windows 8.x, then it is worth initially taking advantage of the offer of a free upgrade to Windows 10.
In other cases, upgrading to Pro takes just minutes. Go to the Options menu Update and Security Activation and you will see the following screen:
If you don’t have a Pro product key, you can purchase one for yourself by selecting the option “Go to Store” Under Upgrade this release of Windows. The upgrade will cost 6929 (or about 100).
However, if you do find a Windows 10 Pro, Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate or Windows 8/8 product key.1 Pro, then you need to select the option “Change product key”.
When using the key from the old version, there were only two steps to upgrade to Pro before. However, in the latest feature updates, this process has been greatly simplified.
After entering the product key, accept the offer to run the update procedure. The operation progress page will appear and the system will restart. After the upgrade procedure is complete, you will see a notification that the operation was completed successfully. Visit the Activation page again to make sure you’re using an activated version of Windows 10 Pro.
After successfully upgrading from the Home to Pro release, you can safely discard or remove the product key from your old Windows. You will no longer need it. Your license is digitally tied to specific hardware. If you reinstall Windows, Microsoft’s activation servers will recognize the hardware and activate Windows 10 automatically.
This upgrade scenario was tested on an HP Spectre x360 test laptop that originally shipped with Windows 8.1 Home. Your device has been successfully upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, and then you run a clean install of Windows 10 Pro using the bootable USB key.
Twice during the installation, the program prompted for the product key. Both times the I don’t have a product key option was selected. You need to make sure that you are installing exactly the Windows 10 Pro edition.
After completing the installation and logging into your account, the Options page Update and Security Activation reported that the system activation was successful Microsoft servers recognized the hardware and used a digital license.
Clean reinstall with version upgrade
One of the incorrect scenarios occurs when your system has digital licenses for both Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro. You can unintentionally restore Windows 10 Home edition in this case.
This scenario just happened during testing, when a system restore image was used for a computer that originally shipped with Windows 8.1 Home. You have used the Windows 10 recovery disk to restore your computer, and after finishing the restore procedure, you have installed Windows 10 Home.
If you encounter a similar problem, you don’t need to look for the original product key. Use your Microsoft product key instead to force an upgrade.
Go to the Options menu Update and security Activation, select the option “Change product key” and enter the publicly available Windows 10 Pro key:
Follow the instructions to upgrade from Home to Pro release. Since your device is already digitally tethered, the system will be activated automatically.
This public product key can’t work miracles. If your device is not digitally bound to Pro, you will encounter an activation error and will be forced to provide the correct product key or pay for the upgrade.
Microsoft has traditionally presented several editions of the ten, differing in functionality, the implementation of certain features and price, in order to meet the needs of different categories of users. Having a key from the home edition of Windows 7 or 8, the user becomes the owner of the Home edition of Windows 10.
Only as time passes it turns out that the lack of support for remote desktop, hardware virtualization system, group policy management, restricted mode and other less demanded features makes it necessary to upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 10 Pro. It is not necessary to reinstall the system, and all the software and user files will remain.
There are two ways to upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro:
- By purchasing a professional edition of the operating system in the store Windows;
- Bypass or alternative method. involves upgrading to Pro, bypassing the app store.
The second option also requires having a universal license key in order to activate Windows 10, but without first buying a license for the operating system.
How to upgrade from one edition of Windows 10 to another
There are several editions of Windows 10: home, professional and corporate. Each of them is suitable for a certain range of users. But by installing one of the suggested builds, you can switch to another version without losing your personal data and installed third-party applications.
If you are an advanced computer user, the “basic” version of the operating system from Microsoft may not be enough. In this case, there is an option to upgrade to the professional version of Windows 10. There are two ways of doing this.
Upgrade Windows 10 with a product key
To upgrade to the professional version, you need to make sure you have the current version of the operating system. If so, you can move on to the next step. It requires a product key or digital license.
When you upgrade from a home system to a professional one, all files on your computer remain untouched.
The easiest way to upgrade is to use a product key. You can buy it in the “Windows Store”. To do this, follow the sequence: “Start” “Settings” “Update and security” “Activation” “Go to Store”.
After acquiring the key, you need to perform simple steps that will not take you much time.
- Click the “Start” button and select “Settings.
- Then go to “Updates and security” and select the “Activation” tab there.
- Click “Change Product Key” and enter your 25-digit product key for Windows 10 Pro.
- Click the “Run Update” button to begin the process of upgrading to Windows 10 Pro.
Updating with a digital license
Having a digital license in one case assumes that the Pro version is already installed and the key is not required. Go to “Start”, then to “Settings” “Updates and Security” “Activation.
A digital license is the rights attached not to a computer (as it was before), but to a Microsoft account.
So if the professional version has been activated on your device using your account, it will not be difficult to switch to it in the future. With your home edition installed, just go to “Store” where you will be offered a free upgrade. Even if the “basic” edition is not activated, you will be offered a “Troubleshooting” offer.
How to upgrade for free
Right now, a Windows 10 Pro license costs just over 15k. rubles. If you don’t want to spend money, but the features of the home edition are not enough, there is a way out. Old activation keys for Windows 8 Pro, Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate operating systems will help.
The upgrade is conditionally free, because it is supposed to have already purchased keys to earlier versions.
To use this method, enter the standard key for Windows 10 when upgrading. But do not forget to change the universal key to the license key of an older version of the system after activation.
Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro
Microsoft has released several versions of the Windows 10 operating system, each with different features and suitable for different users. Due to the fact that the functionality of each version is different, the cost is also different. Sometimes users working on the Home build want to upgrade to Advanced Pro, so today we’d like to show you how you can do it, detailing two ways.
Upgrade from Windows 10 Home for One Language to Windows 10 Home
It happens that when installing Windows 10 Home, you accidentally selected the edition For One Language. In this case, the usual key for Windows 10 Home may not work. If you are facing such a problem here is the solution:
- Click the Start button, and then select Settings Update and Security Activation Update Product Key Change Product Key.
- Enter key YNC8Q-C78MM-VCQP4-YJ6KP-JB47H
- Gives an error, close the error, reboot and you just have Windows 10 Home
- Fix Windows 10 activation error 0x8007007b
- 0x80072ee7 activation error. How to fix?
- Activating Microsoft Office by phone (0xC004C008)
- Protected: Free VPN from our store.
- Setting up subscription access for Office 365
- Windows activation error 0xc004d302
- Activating Windows via command line (terminal)
- Solving error 0x803fa067 when activating Windows 10
- Upgrade from Windows 10 Home for One Language to Windows 10 Home
- Error 0xc0000022. How to fix?
- Fix Windows 10 update or activation error 0x800f0805
- How to fix activation error 0xc0020036 on Windows 10?
- Installing Windows 8 / 8.1 without a key
- How to upgrade Windows 8 / 8.1 to Windows 10
- Error 0x80072f8f. How to fix?
- How to Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro
- The order of payment for goods or services with the help of WebMoney Transfer
- What do the letters mean. RTM, OEM, Retail, VL in Windows versions?
- Installing Windows 10 from a USB flash drive
- Installing Windows 10 on a Mac
- Windows activation error 0x80070032. How to fix?
- Reset Windows 7 to factory settings
- Download Microsoft Office. Setup.office.com
- Resetting Windows 8.1 to factory settings. Instructions
- Windows 7 account. Create, edit, delete
- How to create a Windows 10 account
- 0x80070241 and 0x80070570 installation errors
- Error code 0xc004f069
- Error code 0x80041023
- Error code 0xc004f034
- Error code 0xc004f012
- Error code 0x8007232b
- Error code 0x803f7001
- Error code 0xc004f050
- Error code 0xc004c003
- Error code 0xc004f014
- Error code 0xc004f074
- Causes and solutions for Windows 10 activation errors
- Reasons for activation error 0x80041023
- Signs of error code 080072f76 in Windows 10 are often slow computer operation and weak.
- Error 0xc004f210 when activating Windows 10
- 0x8007232b error when activating Windows 10
- 0x803f7001. Windows 10 activation error
- 0xc004f012. Windows 10 activation error
- 0xc004f014. Windows 10 activation error
- 0x80041023. Windows 10 activation error
- 0xc004f050. Windows 10 activation error
- 0x803f7001 error when activating Windows 10
- 0x8007007b error when activating Windows 10
- 0x80072f8f. Windows 10 activation error
- Windows activation error 0x80041014
- Activating Windows over the phone 0xC004C008
- Why 0x800f0900 error occurs and how to fix it
- How to fix 0x800700E1 error when moving files?
- How to fix error 80246001 when upgrading Windows 7, 8 and 10?
- Why 0x80D05001 error occurs and how to fix it
- What to do when Windows does not update? 8 reliable methods
- 0x80240023 error when upgrading Windows 10: causes and solutions
Common keys for installing Windows 10 version 1909. Update November 2019.
At the moment there is a set of common keys for Windows 10.
To install Windows 10 version 1909 with the universal key, use the following keys:
Windows 10 Home YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7 Windows 10 Home N 4CPRK-NM3K3-X6XXQ-RXX86-WXCHW Windows 10 Home Single Language BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT Windows 10 Pro VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T Windows 10 Pro N 2B87N-8KFHP-DKV6R-Y2C8J-PKCKT Windows 10 Pro для рабочих станций DXG7C-N36C4-C4HTG-X4T3X-2YV77 Windows 10 Pro N для рабочих станций WYPNQ-8C467-V2W6J-TX4WX-WT2RQ Windows 10 S 3NF4D-GF9GY-63VKH-QRC3V-7QW8P Windows 10 Образование YNMGQ-8RYV3-4PGQ3-C8XTP-7CFBY Windows 10 Образование N 84NGF-MHBT6-FXBX8-QWJK7-DRR8H Windows 10 Pro Образование 8PTT6-RNW4C-6V7J2-C2D3X-MHBPB Windows 10 Pro Образование N GJTYN-HDMQY-FRR76-HVGC7-QPF8P Windows 10 Корпоративная XGVPP-NMH47-7TTHJ-W3FW7-8HV2C Windows 10 Корпоративная GN FW7NV-4T673-HF4VX-9X4MM-B4H4T Windows 10 Корпоративная N WGGHN-J84D6-QYCPR-T7PJ7-X766F Windows 10 Корпоративная S NK96Y-D9CD8-W44CQ-R8YTK-DYJWX Windows 10 Corporate N LTSB 2016 RW7WN-FMT44-KRGBK-G44WK-QV7YK