Modern smartphones and other gadgets, despite all their functionality and stylish design, often have one very important drawback. they run out quickly enough and the user has to live literally from one outlet to another.
So, one day, after plugging your Lightning charging cable into the charging jack of your iPhone. you may notice that your iPhone has not started charging. Sometimes the charging indication may appear, but the phone will still not charge. What to do if your iPhone stops charging normally? Let’s try to understand the causes of such behavior of your gadget.
The main causes of failure when the iPhone does not charge
So you do not drown in a flood of information, we have collected the main causes of failure and told about each. No need to rush to the service center if you have such a breakdown. Lack of charge in most cases can be corrected by yourself.
Checking the charger
After about a year of normal (not too careful use) the original cable fails. Many smartphone owners in this case, buy non-original accessories, and then notice that the iPhone does not charge from the charger. There are often problems with Chinese accessories. If you suspect that the charger has failed, then you need to replace both the unit and the wire to it. Choose new accessories according to the rules:
- do not buy too cheap chargers, their quality usually leaves much to be desired;
- look at the power supply. it should deliver 1A current, it should be so labeled;
- if possible buy the original wires and blocks.
If you are not sure if the cause is in the charger, then first try to test the smartphone with another accessory. But still in most cases when it does not charge your iPhone 5 the “charger” is to blame.
Check the power supply
You can connect your device to get power:
If you are using a car charger, then in most cases it is not the cigarette lighter (test it with another device to make sure the current is supplied with the right amount). Power outlets also rarely fail. often than not, power supply problems are encountered by those trying to charge their smartphone from a computer.
If you are not being charged by the iPhone 8 from the computer, then pay attention to the port to which you connected it. The latest versions of the smartphones are very sensitive to the speed of data exchange and power, they fit only ports 2.0 or 3.0. Do not try to charge them via USB-hubs or ports located on the keyboard.
System failure and how to fix it
If your smartphone still works, but does not see the cable you plugged in, then the problem may be a small operating system glitch. The main method of fixing a small failure is to reboot. For different devices, it is carried out according to the instructions:
- when iPhone X, 8, 8 Plus is not charging you need to press the volume up button, then its decrease and simultaneously with it the power key;
- on the 7 and 7 Plus device, you need to press the bottom of the volume and power buttons at the same time;
- On versions 6 and earlier hold down the power and home buttons simultaneously.
These instructions will help when iPhone doesn’t show it’s charging due to minor system glitches. Rebooting will fix this and you can use your device without restrictions.
Inspect and clean the connector
Rarely, when the iPhone 7 or earlier models do not charge, you have to change the connector of the power cable. In earlier versions of smartphones, this connector was often loose from prolonged use. The following steps can be taken to get the power cord slot working again:
Avoid blowing into the slot with your mouth to prevent small particles of saliva from getting into it. It is also forbidden to use cotton swabs soaked in alcohol to clean the slots.
iPhone firmware failure
If the firmware failed and iPhone does not see the charger, it is best to connect it to a computer to restore the software. To do this, use a cable or Wi-Fi to connect your smartphone to iTunes. Then do the following:
- on the left side of the window click “Browse”;
- in the right click on the “Restore” button;
- Select the version using the “Restore from Copy” button to which you want to roll back your device;
- Wait for the procedure to complete.
The advantage of this option is that you can get by with your own hands and fix almost any firmware failure. The disadvantage is that it is not possible to do the restore when the battery is completely discharged. Some of the files that were stored on your device will be lost. But compared to the fact that your device will become charged again, data loss will not be a particular problem.
Battery wear and tear
Most iPhone smartphones have lithium-ion batteries. They have their lifespan and over time you may notice that the battery has started to drain faster. The first signs of problems you may notice after a year. The most common reason for iPhone 6 not to charge is the critical loss of battery capacity. About 4-5 years of life lithium-ion batteries begin to run out extremely quickly, and then completely fail.
If the battery is worn out, you need to replace it with a new one. You can do it yourself if you have the tools at hand and experience repairing various devices. But it is best to contact an authorized service center, because the malfunction can occur not only due to loss of battery capacity, but also because of other “iron” problems.
What problems with the “iron” can lead to cases when the iPhone does not charge
There are several main reasons why the iPhone does not charge. One of them is the failure of its components. Trouble can occur due to trivial wear and tear or for other reasons:
- mechanical damage (shock, fall from a height, vibration);
- Moisture entering the case (does not apply to phones, the case of which is protected from it);
- the use of low-quality chargers, voltage fluctuations.
In the latter case, the battery or the power controller may be affected. Signs of failure of these parts of the device:
- The phone does not take a charge;
- Abnormally fast loss of battery charge;
- The smartphone heats up when connected to a power source;
- the device cannot see the cable.
To find out what reason led to the failure of the power controller, it is possible only after diagnosing the device in the service center. After repair it is necessary to check the device carefully. Ask for the following to be done in your presence:
The reasons why the iPhone may not see the charger
Charging problems can occur for a variety of reasons, and not necessarily the problem is directly related to the phone. Therefore, in the first place we put:
- Damaged Lightport. It is very easy to break the charging connector. For this purpose it is enough to take out the cord incorrectly, to carry phone without a cover in a where any garbage is stored, at least once to fill a connector with liquid.
- The second most popular reason. battery breakage. If the battery has “finished its life on earth”, it will not be recharged. In this case go to the service center for battery replacement. If you are in Kiev, Kharkov and Dnipro, you can do it in one of the services of Apple Lab.
- Failure of charging cable. The element is an important link in the power supply chain. Enables the Lightport connector.
- Power controller failure. About the failure of this board indicates a rapid discharge, arbitrary shutdown. Dropping, liquid, most often become causes of failure. Repair is difficult and laborious, since the controller is located on the motherboard. At Apple Lab, we repair quickly and efficiently.
- Often the reason for refusing to see the charge is simply due to poor quality accessories.
You can solve the problem yourself only in the last case. to buy the original charger. In all other cases you will need expert help.
The first aid if iPhone does not see the charger
If you have a similar situation before you seek help from “a shrewd neighbor” or in the “service under the house” you should do the following:
- Check if the cable and adapter are working properly by connecting them to another Apple device. Or iPhone connect to a different cable or adapter. You must be very careful here. Since the fault can be either one of the elements, or both, the cord and the power supply unit.
- Check if the outlet is working by plugging in any other device.
- If the phone is still “alive”, reboot it and update the software just in case. At least Apple’s official support site suggests doing this in every situation you don’t understand.
If none of these three ways, it’s time to go to the service center.
Not every problem with iPhone is caused by hardware malfunction. System errors caused by installing unlicensed software or unofficial firmware adversely affect the operation of the gadget.
The Apple devices are charged by the power controller, which stops working as a result of a system failure.
In this case the problem can be solved by removing the application that caused the failure, rebooting your iPhone, or by restoring the system via iTunes.
The Lightning port glitches
With the cable Lightning solved, and now let’s touch the question of the port where this charger is inserted. Now I’m talking about the port where we insert the Lightning cable.
In the worst case there could be something broken, but in the best case there is just a lot of dust, debris, seeds and other crap accumulated there and because of this the contacts with the cable do not contact.
Look into the port and if there is dirt, then take a small stick like a toothpick and gently clean the port.
Poor quality accessories
By far one of the main causes of poor iPhone charging is poor-quality accessories. Not for nothing on every box and instructions for their gadgets Apple asks to use only original or certified by them accessories. They can protect your gadget from sudden voltage drop in the network, and just will serve longer than any Chinese craftsmanship.
Genuine accessories (blocks, cables) are equipped with special surge protectors which take the hit in case of a sudden voltage drop, and do not let the high voltage to the connector and the circuit board of your iPhone. The non-original accessories do not have this protection, so your smartphone, even if it will be charged with them for a while, but it will still be in danger. The use of low-quality accessories can damage your iPhone battery, power circuit elements on the motherboard, as well as the charging-sync connector itself.
In addition to its original accessories, Apple has certified the following companies to manufacture them and use them with their equipment: Mophie, NATIVE UNION, Belkin, Moshi, CalDigit, Twelve South.
The first chance you get, check if your iPhone is charging with cords and charging adapters. Try different combinations, such as “your bloc new charging cable” or “new bloc old cord”. If your iPhone begins to charge, simply replace the low-quality accessory. If charging still doesn’t start, read our article next.
What to do if your iPhone won’t charge or your cable is loose? Easy and effective tip
It has probably happened to many people. you connect the charger to your iPhone, but the smartphone either does not see it or stops seeing it at the first awkward move. Time to raise money for repairs? Not at all-just read a little flychat story from Business Insider journalist Steven Tweedy.
The first time he encountered this problem was a few years ago. At the time, Steve’s smartphone was an iPhone 6s, and the young man noticed that after connecting the charger, the device periodically just refuses to charge. Trying to fix this very unpleasant flaw, he went so far as to wrap the cable around his iPhone to avoid breaking the connection while charging!
At first, Tweedy “blamed” a faulty cable. But he tested his iPhone 6s with several similar accessories of his dorm mates and realized. it’s not the cable, but, it seems, it’s already in the smartphone itself. The guy got frustrated and was about to take his smartphone to the Apple Store for inspection. But then his buddy Joe, upon learning of the problem, immediately told him what was wrong. The culprit turned out to be ordinary lint!
“You always carry your iPhone in your jeans. right?” he asked. Indeed, that’s what Steven did. Tweedy immediately thought the lint might have gotten into the charging hole of the iPhone, but refused to believe that it caused the charging problems.
Then John took an ordinary paperclip, unfolded it, inserted it into the Lightning port of the iPhone, and then gently twisted it there. The “catch” was luxurious! A small mound of lint was pulled out of the smartphone. much more than Stephen had anticipated.
He immediately plugged in an iPhone charger to test his buddy’s theory in practice. Oh, the miracle! The gadget immediately recognized the cable and actively began to replenish the depleted battery with precious energy. What’s more, the connection between the cable and the smartphone was instantly as secure as before, nothing else was “coming off”.
Two years later, a work colleague complained to Stephen about the same problem, and got the same advice. Of course, the uncomplicated tiphook worked perfectly this time, too.
Your iPhone is not charging, and the cable is loose? Now you know what to do. The journalist, however, advises you to do “cleaning” inside the Lightning port not with a paper clip, but with something non-metallic, like a toothpick. And please do not forget about the fact that it is necessary to wield carefully, without the use of force. That’s it!