What to do if the computer does not see the USB stick in Windows
There are two main reasons why your computer may not see the flash drive: hardware and software. In the first case, the problem is in the hardware.е. physical. In the second case, adjusting the Windows operating system may help. This also applies to memory cards, external hard drives, SSDs, and any other USB storage devices. Next, select your fault variant.
USB drives usually have a light on them to let you know they are working. If the LED was on before, but is not now, it means that the device is not receiving power. In any case, if nothing happens at all, no specific sound when you connect a flash drive, you have several options:
- Insert the flash drive into another USB port;
- Move the flash drive to the USB port on the back of the system unit;
- Insert the drive directly into your computer or laptop, without using any extenders or USB hubs.
Determine if it is the USB ports or the flash drive itself:
- Insert the flash drive into another computer or smartphone via an OTG adapter (your phone must support OTG);
- Plug in any other USB device to see if the ports work.
Now let me explain, some ports may not work simply because they have been burned before or the pins there are corrupted. Look inside them, if you see dirt and debris, blow them out well. Then, if the USB port is overpowered, it won’t work. And to “fix it” you need to disconnect the computer from the socket for a minute to turn it off. Turn off the laptop and take out the battery for 1 minute.
Overcurrent is when you have a lot of devices connected via USB or one device but consumes a lot of power, such as a smartphone on charge, a fan, a humidifier, a heating device, or a desk lamp.
Next, the USB sockets on the front of the system unit may not be connected to the motherboard. To make these work, you need to open the lid of the system unit and connect the wires from the front panel to the corresponding pins on the motherboard. You can follow the hints on the motherboard itself or download the manual for your model from the Internet.
With hubs and USB-extenders can not work specifically your flash drive, but more often such a mess happens with external hard drives. They are quite picky about the quality of cable and power supply. Bad cables conduct a weak current, and voltage sagging occurs.
If the USB ports do not work at all it makes sense to enter BIOS and check whether they are enabled there. In different versions of BIOS and UEFI settings to enable/disable USB ports will be in different places, you will need to navigate through the menu, usually it is an item “Advanced. USB Configuration”. You need to toggle property “USB 2.0 Controller” and “USB 3.0 Controller” (if available) to “Enabled”:
USB memory sticks are convenient, capacious and compact devices for storing and transferring various files. Unfortunately, often there are problems with the definition of the removable drive, which leads to a misunderstanding of the flash drive by the system.The result is that the flash drive is not displayed in Windows, it is impossible to write to it or download files.
Today we will look at the main USB flash drive problems and find the best ways to fix them.
Fixing problems when opening USB flash drives
Common case. USB stick is still visible in the system, but it cannot be accessed for one reason or another with the corresponding error messages. Below is a list of instructions on the most common bugs:
If the previous options did not help to solve the problem with USB flash drive visibility in the system, let’s proceed to more complicated methods. Important: before starting I recommend to create system restore point, it can be usefull, since described actions can potentially make other USB devices unable to work.
Checking startup parameters of USBSTOR service
If you disable the system service USBSTOR, your computer will stop responding to removable USB drives, i.e. your computer will not see any USB sticks. You can check the startup parameters of the service as follows:
- Open the registry editor by pressing WinR and typing regedit
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR
- On the right side of the registry editor window, check the value of Start. If it is 4, then the service is disabled. Double-click on the parameter and set the value to 3.
- Restart your computer.
If the issue with the USB flash drive connection is due to a disabled service, these actions will help to correct it.
Removal of old USB device drivers
Older USB drivers in Windows can cause issues like “Insert drive into device” and errors related to flash drive lettering. It may also cause your computer to reboot or freeze when you insert the USB flash drive into the USB port.
The thing is that by default Windows installs drivers for USB drives the moment you plug them into the corresponding port of your computer for the first time. In this case, when the flash drive is disconnected from the port, the driver remains in the system. When connecting a new USB stick there may be some conflicts caused by the fact that Windows will try to use a previously installed driver that corresponds to the USB port, but the other USB drive.
How to remove old USB storage device drivers:
- Turn off your computer or laptop and disconnect all USB storage (and not only) devices (thumb drives, external hard drives, card readers, webcams, and other. You can leave the mouse and keyboard as long as they do not have a built-in card reader.
- Turn the computer on again.
- Download the DriveCleanup utility https://uwe-sieber.de/files/drivecleanup.zip (compatible with Windows 10, 8.1 and Windows 7), unpack the archive.
- From the unpacked folder run drivecleanup.exe of the required size as administrator (right-click on the file. run as administrator).
- You will see the process of removing all drivers and their entries in the Windows registry.
Once the program is finished, restart your computer. Now, when you insert the flash drive, Windows will install new drivers for it.
There are two more methods to do the same:
- Use the free Privazer program: if you run it in advanced user mode and go to “Certain Residual Records”, there you will find an item to clear the USB history, as in the screenshot below. For more details on how to use the program and where to download it, see the article Cleaning up Windows 10, 8.1 and Windows 7 in Privazer.
- Use the USBOblivion utility, its usage and booting are discussed in “Windows 10 can’t see the flash drive after upgrade” later in the article.
Fix problems when connecting a USB flash drive in the registry editor
In some cases, problems showing the flash drive in Windows 10, 8.1 and Windows 7 may cause certain registry entries:
- Open the registry editor, to do this press WinR on your keyboard, type regedit in the “Run” window and press Enter.
- Navigate to the Registry section
- If you see settings named UpperFilters and LowerFilters in the right pane of the registry editor in this section, right-click on them and delete them.
- Navigate to the section
- If there is a subsection named RemovableStorageDevices in this section, delete it.
- Reboot your computer.
After restarting the computer try to connect your USB stick again: if the registry settings were present, it is very likely that after removing them the USB stick will show up in the system.
Windows 10 does not see the USB flash drive after upgrading or installation
Many users encounter the problem of not displaying USB drives after upgrading to Windows 10 from previous operating systems, or after simply installing updates on an already installed Windows 10. It is often the case that only USB 2 flash drives are not visible.0 or USB 3.0. i.e. it can be assumed that USB drivers are required. However, in fact often such behavior is caused not by drivers but by incorrect entries in the registry about previously mounted USB drives.
Free USBOblivion utility can help in this case, it removes from the Windows registry all information about previously connected flash drives and external hard drives (USB flash drive mount points). Before using the program, I strongly recommend creating a Windows 10 restore point.
Disconnect all flash drives and other USB storage devices from the computer, run the program, check “Perform real cleanup” and “Save reg file undo”, then click the “Cleanup” button.
After cleaning is finished, reboot your computer and plug in the USB flash drive. most likely it will be detected and accessible. If not, then try to also enter Device Manager (right click on Start) and follow the steps to remove the USB drive from Other Devices and then update the hardware configuration (described above). Download USBOblivion program from the official developer’s page: https://www.cherubicsoft.com/projects/usboblivion
Recover files from flash drive
If after trying to fix the error Windows still intends to format it (t.е. The first thing I recommend is to recover files from it (if you need them, of course).
Once you format the flash drive it will be harder to recover data (and in the case of recording new files. impossible at all)!).
There are special programs for data recovery. Some of the free and popular ones, I will give in the table below.
3 free programs for data recovery
- The recovery wizard will guide you step by step through all the “thorns” and complicated moments of this procedure;
- The ability to recover files even from damaged media;
- Supports flash drives, SD cards, hard drives, SSDs;
- File systems: exFAT, FAT32, NTFS;
- ability to search for and recover unsaved Word document;
- Preliminary assessment of the possibility of recovering a particular file;
- fast and deep disk analysis.
- File systems: exFAT, FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, NTFS5;
- possibility of recovery of deleted files;
- the possibility of reconstructing damaged file systems;
- data recovery after formatting;
- Automatic setting of parameters for recovery (important for novice users).
- File recovery not only for “regular” files, but also for hidden, encrypted, compressed and system files;
- simple and intuitive interface;
- Include an evaluator: evaluates files for recovery;
- File recovery on network and disk drives (including flash drives);
- Russian language support;
- Windows 7, 8, 10 support.
Basically you can use any of the recovery utilities. Easier for beginners is Recuva, which has a wizard in its arsenal that walks you through the entire procedure step by step from A to Z.
The screenshot below shows my hard drive scanned in Recuva for old deleted pictures, photos. Many of the deleted files are found and recovered (the green circle next to a file is a good sign, it means that the program appreciates the possibility of recovery).
An important point: when recovering files. restore them to another medium! ☝ Т.е. If you want to restore a file from a flash drive, save it to your hard drive (if you save it to the flash drive that you scanned, the restored file will overwrite all unrecovered data). Such a tautology.
In general, the recovery procedure requires another rather lengthy article (to set the record straight).
Where do you want to install Windows 7 drives not found?
Where you want to install Windows 7 Drivers not found?
Remedy: Device drivers are not found
- Switch to a USB 2.0.
- Set for the Active partition.
- Create a new disk.
- Turn on the xHCI service transfer option in the BIOS.
- Change everything to Legacy and install the bootable device on your DVD or USB.
When I install Windows 7 it writes that device drivers are not found?
One of the reasons you are experiencing this problem may be because your computer has USB 3 ports.0 ports which are marked in blue and Windows 7 has no drivers for USB 3.0 embedded in. This may cause a failure during installation and make it impossible for some users to use a keyboard or mouse.
How to fix Disks not found?
Fix: Hard disks are not found in Windows 7 Setup
- Why can’t the Windows 7 installer find the hard drive.
- Format/clean your hard drive using “diskpart” at the command line.
- Load hard drive controller drivers from a USB drive into the Windows installer.
- Change the boot controller mode in the BIOS.
How to fix Windows 7 hard drive not detected?
Fix an external hard drive that does not show up in Windows 7
- Use the hard drive on another computer and check if it is recognized
- Try a different USB port
- If you are connecting the drive to a USB hub, try connecting it directly to your computer
- If you are connecting the drive to your computer with a cable, try a different cable.
How to bypass driver installation in Windows 7?
Under Devices, right-click on the computer icon and select Device Installation Options. A new window will appear asking if you want Windows to load the driver software. Click to select “No, let me choose what to do”, select “Never install drivers from the Windows Update Center” and click “Save Changes”.
How to choose a driver to install?
Remove and reinsert the USB stick.
- If the error message “Select driver to install” appears, click Cancel. (.
- Shut down your computer.
- Connect the USB flash drive containing the Windows installation files to USB port 2.0 on your computer and run the installation again.
How to install drivers in Windows 7?
In the Control Panel window, click System and Security.In the System and Security window in the System section, click Device Manager. In the Device Manager window, click to select the device for which you want to find drivers. On the menu bar, click “Update driver software”.
How to solve the problem of not having the required CD/DVD driver when installing Windows 7?
Fix: “The required CD/DVD device driver is missing” Error message when installing Windows 7 from a USB drive
- What causes the error message “The required CD/DVD device driver is missing”?.
- Disconnect the USB drive and reconnect it
- Disconnect the USB drive and plug it into a different USB port.
How to fix a Windows 10 installation driver that is not found?
How to fix the Media Driver is missing on your computer in Windows 10?
- Make sure you meet Windows 10 requirements.
- Use third-party software to update drivers.
- Try switching the USB hub halfway.
- Try a different USB drive and use a USB 2 port exclusively.0.
- Set USB to “Auto” and disable legacy USB if available.
How to fix Windows not detecting my hard drive?
To see if this is the cause of the BIOS not detecting your hard drive, follow these steps:
- Turn off your computer.
- Open the computer case and disconnect the data cable from the hard drive. This will prevent any power-saving commands from being sent.
- Turn on your system. Check if the hard drive is spinning.
Why is my hard drive not detected??
BIOS will not detect the hard drive if the data cable is damaged or the connection is incorrect. Serial ATA cables in particular can sometimes drop out. The easiest way to check the cable is to replace it with another cable. If the problem persists, then the problem is not with the cable.
Where you want to install Windows 10 drives are not found?
Configure the boot controller mode in the BIOS:
- Power off your PC and then power it on.
- Enter the BIOS and click the “Advanced” tab.
- Scroll down to “SATA Mode” and press “Enter” to select AHCI mode.
- Exit after saving the changes and restart the machine to see if the hard drive is detected.
How to enable HDD in Windows 7?
Plug it into your system and bring it up in Device Manager and see if there is a drive with a yellow or red icon next to it. If it is, right-click on it and select “Enable”.
How File System Errors Affect USB Devices
If your computer does not display the flash drive, the cause may be due to errors in the file system. The first is, as in the paragraph above, to check whether the USB flash drive appears in “Device Manager. To do this in the search box, type “Task Manager”, then “Disk Devices”. If the pop-up submenu, displays a portable device, but the computer still does not see it, then the error is still in the file system, or rather in a wrong formatting of the flash drive. That is, the reason lies in the fact that the removable storage device is based on the file system FAT32, and the computer on NTFS. To solve this problem, you will need to format it again, installing the correct file system for your USB drive. Before you start formatting, reload all important information on another device or computer. Now you can proceed:
- Determine what file system your computer is running on.
- To do this, right-click on any hard drive and select the “Properties” tab.
- In the window that appears, find the information about the fullness of the disk.
- Determine the type of file system, right-click on the removable drive under which the flash drive is detected.
- In the menu that appears, click on “Format” category.
- On the “File System” line choose the same value you use on your computer, for example NTFS.
After that the external portable hard drive should start working normally.
PC does not see the memory card: SD, miniSD, microSD. Find Causes
Nowadays it is much easier for users to store the information they need. You do not have to boot your PC’s memory, since there are many other removable media, such as USB sticks, CDs, and DVDs. Also very popular are micro and miniSD, as well as regular SD.
Each of the offered tools can work with failures. This manifests itself in the fact that as soon as the user removes the removable medium directly from the cell phone, camera or other device and inserts it into the PC socket, the computer simply can not detect the SD.
There can be several reasons for this. In some cases it is the result of the action of viruses. Also trivial errors may occur during the user’s work. Often the reason lies directly in the inoperability of the removable medium.
The variety of SD cards
It is worth paying attention to the most common causes of problems. But before this, it is worth finding out what kinds of flash cards exist. Almost all users confuse some maps with others. There are several kinds of SD memory cards.
There are special elements for mobile devices. There are also cards for photo and video equipment. So there are different tools for each individual type of device. This is due to the different requirements for the amount of information to be stored and the speed of operation.
microSD cards are very popular. Such items are inserted into mobile devices, tablets and players. With the help of these objects it is possible to greatly increase the memory. It makes it possible to store much more audio and video recordings, photos.
With such devices, users are offered to purchase special adapters. You can use them to connect SD cards to your laptop. Not so relevant, but still often used. miniSD. These assistants are also suitable for portable devices.
SD cards are excellent devices that have a free memory of 8 MB to 2 TB. Such a large size is required by users for video recorders, cameras. In this case the cards are able to function at speeds with excellent indicators.
Features in the process of working with flash cards
Each such element has information about the speed of the object and the class of the tool. When selecting a card it is necessary to take into account what class is required for a particular device. Also it is necessary to choose a special adapter. It can be several helpers in one set.
In many “weak” personal computers, the developers have provided built-in card reader. But these assistants are not able to recognize new types of used SDHC cards. But in this situation there is a solution too. Users will need to buy a card reader that will connect to a normal USB port. These connectors resemble standard flash drives.
Causes of flash drives not being recognized
In some cases just one drive letter can prevent the detection of removable storage devices, including flash drives, external hard drives. Any hard drive or flash drive can have the letter F. For this reason it is not possible to recognize the connected device.
To quickly fix it you will need to go to the toolbar for managing all disks. This path is different for different operating system versions. If Windows 8 is installed, then you need to simultaneously click on the WinX buttons and press. In the context menu that appears select Disk Management.
For version 7 you need to click on Win and at the same time press R. Then you need to enter a simple command “diskmgmt.msc”. After that a new window will open. All drives and other connected devices will appear there. You can also see the formatted devices.
In the same list will be shown the flash card you are looking for. Immediately after that change the initial letter to a unique variant. You need to make adjustments in the context menu, which appears as soon as you right-click on the object you are looking for to store your data. Then we carry out formatting, during which the drive will be completely cleared of information.
The next common cause is the absence of drivers. Even if the user is working with a new device and constantly carrying out the procedure of updating the necessary components, it is not a guarantee of the normal operation of the device.
If it is accidentally discovered that at least one driver is missing, you can use special assistants. Utilities allow you to find the right driver package for each device. It is enough to enter a request on the net to search for a utility to update the drivers.
Once these steps are implemented, then you can immediately move on to the next step. In some cases users try to insert the SD card into any device. Only then connect the mobile device, a camera with a flash card directly to your PC. For this purpose it is worth using a special USB cable.
In some cases users try not to use additional utilities. Only owners of newer versions of the Windows operating system can afford it. Then the process of installation of the necessary drivers and the following adjustment of PC settings is performed without user’s participation.
In other cases the very first time you connect your device to a special port you will have to download additional software. There are unique drivers for all models of devices. Users need to pick them up and install them. Only after that the used memory card will be visible on any computer.
So users can solve the problem in several ways. One of the proposed options will certainly turn out to be effective. It is only necessary to perform all the actions correctly to ensure a perfect result.
This entry was posted in 05.01.2016 by katrinas11 in the category Bugs. Thank me, share the link with your friends on social networks:
USB Flash Drive Tester Check microsd for Broken Sectors
Download USB Flash Drive Tester and install it on your computer or laptop. Run the program which will be in English.
What to do if your microsd flash drive is not detected on your computer
First you need to select your card. Then under Select flash drive/card choose your card from the popup list. Then under Select test type select full mode which is called Write. After that, click the button labeled Start test.
The laptop does not read the microsd card what to do
A warning window will open and you can click on Yes.
This will start the process of checking sectors, after which your card will be detected and will work normally.